A Kobold glowing OPEN sign so we can finally have shops indoors!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vladamir Begemot, Sep 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Doesn't have to be Kobold.

But right now if you put your shop inside you're just going to go out of business, except in the New Player areas like Outlander Help Center, where new players still go by the convention that oftentimes, stores are INSIDE the building! Imagine.

With an OPEN sign we would

• Know that the player has logged in during this century, as so the vendor is probably actually stocked
    • Be able to move our shops inside and not lose the entirety of traffic
      • Have towns that don't look ridiculous with the Vendor Plague.

2. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

To add on top of that idea, what if the sign required activation and ran on a timer similar to plant growth? The owner activates the sign, it stays illuminated for roughly 72 hours. Within this time the owner can always reactivate it, even if it's still glowing, to reset the timer. This would allow shoppers to know the owner has been on very recently and is most likely selling new inventory. If the sign isn't glowing then it means the owner most likely hasn't been on in the past 3 days, or at least hasn't restocked their vendor and thus hasn't bothered activating the sign.

Then again, I'm still hoping the DEVs make it so the Public Vendor can display all goods for sale and which goods are being bought within your current zone and simply give a waypoint to the target vendors location within the zone.

#ShamelessSelfPromotion

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  3. rild

rild Avatar

The prison cell thingy in today's update looks like it has a good prototype for such a sign!

Cordelayne likes this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Brilliant!

5. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

LB just added this concept to his phone. :D

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I won't buy a Kobold one, but a glowing, ornate wood one, sure.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Lord British thanks for thinking about cleaning up our streets from all those loitering vendors!

8. Sheamus McGuinness

Sheamus McGuinness Avatar

But my vendors LOVE the fresh air and the curbside smell of the open road! hehehe

9. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Vendor Mantra
    "You'll like it out there! You'll always stand! You'll not complain about the weather! That spot is your bedroom, bathroom and deathbed!"

10. Morgathys

Morgathys Avatar

I always wanted a red light district in sota =]

11. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Another thought along these lines could be a set of colored torches or flags that represent something being sold, such as Equipment, Decoratioms or Artifacts. The Torches would have a logo sign attached that could be renamed, so that when someone is looking for Equipment they could hover over the sign to see the description the owner tagged it with. "Selling Arms and Armor, Buying COTO FTW", for example.

Like the suggested Kobold signs above the torches (burning) or flags (waving) would be on a timer. Just something that seems more readily available than relying on Kobold tech.

12. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

There are already signs that can be bought/crafted denoting such things. Standing signs, hanging signs, posted signs.

13. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

The difference being that these signs, like the Kobold 'open' sign, will have a timed activation. The burning Torch or the waving Flag would use the same timer as the proposed Open signs, just be less "high tech". Though it may be better they don't have an attached sign and the currently available signs just be used for such purposes.

14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The devs acknowledged the need for a way to see that vendors are active, and actual, not-mouse over signage, probably via letters similar to the numbers we can currently craft, during the last telethon.

15. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Lord British was talking about just making the vendors sit down if they are inactive.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  16. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Really hope this isn't the case. The point of the sign was to let others know there were vendors 'inside' the house. If all they do is sit down when inactive they will still just be put outside.

17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think they were into the idea of giving us letters in order to make signs so people could see we've got a store inside. I still think the OPEN sign is best because it literally means "I'm a Store and I'm Open" but letters is a step in the right direction. Now I can put "S Mart Furniture Department" out front and it will be obvious that I've got a store, and that it has come into existence since the invention of letters. Then hopefully we get something that makes it easy to see that the store's been updated recently from outside.

18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I can understand seeing a shop logo to signify a store, but with identifying a facility as a store (such as a big logo denoting such) a little flip "open" and "out to lunch" sign with a similar timer to show the owners activated the sign recently would fit well with this concept and still keep the "updated recently" functionality. Other than stores I can see the letters useful for other facilities. I hope they come in a variety of sizes.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Unless it's a row house, in which case you're limited to five letter words.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm in and hoping.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.