Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Repro needed] R46 introduces a serious bug in FPS

Discussion in 'Critical Issues (Blockers, Performance, Crashes)' started by Meridyn, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

Instead of the 10-20 FPS I get in R45 @ my home, I now get 4-10 FPS in the same location in R46 (Build 555).

This makes the came utterly unplayable.

Area: Celestis (Novia_R1_City_Celestis) Loc: (194.9, 111.2, -46.6) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9DZWxlc3Rpc3x8KDE5NC45MDUsIDExMS4yMTgsIC00Ni42NDEpfCgwLCAxLCAwLCAtMC4wMTkpfDU0Mi4xMTg1fDE2Ljk2NjgzfDE0LjE1Mzg2

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 960 @ 3.20GHz (8) System RAM: 24567
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti GPU RAM: 4016

2. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Meridyn
    Is this based on a single log in session? What is the repro rate? What build was this? We had a new build out yesterday :)
    I'll take a look but I need to get more information. And please make sure you have completed some troubleshooting on your end, reset router, etc.
    I'm seeing 48 FPS at the moment so this is not a consistent issue at the moment.

3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

@Meridyn I just checked the logs for your machine stats and your computer is WAY better than what we make poor Lexie play on!

Looking at the logs I can confirm something is up or at least was up on that build. You were 60fps in Novia, 35fps in Ardoris and then 7.9fps in Celestis. Sadly I'm not seeing any errors logged from your machine though.

Something happened but we can't repro it in the latest build. If you could give it a try tonight to see if it is still happening, that would be great!

4. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

The original report was for build 554. I'm still seeing this issue with build 556, and I'm still unable to open the door on the top of the house with the mouse key because the frame rate is so low. I have to use the "E" key.

Screenshots from today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

Still present in build 557. If I go to the entrance to my lot and turn my Avatar around to face the ocean, my FPS immediately jumps up to 30. If I turn and face the house, it immediately drops to 4-8 FPS.

I've also updated my graphics driver to the latest version to ensure it wasn't a driver issue.

6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Just curious, are there any other homes or POT deco behind your house in the direction where fps spikes that low?

When we built an arena for virtue league we were getting around 60 fps until we turned and faced the direction of the devotionals and homes behind them. Might be part of the issue here.

7. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

I'll take another look at this. My guess is that @Lexie is playing with shadows off and you are playing with shadows on. Shadows are what will generally destroy frame rate in towns on all but the most powerful machines.

8. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

My keep lot is actually pretty well isolated from other lots, so I don't think this would be it.

9. Meridyn

Meridyn Avatar

I turned shadow detail down to "none", and indeed my frame rate is usable now, so that's a relief. Not sure why R46 is has a stronger effect on the frame rate with shadow detail . I then tried putting shadow detail on the lowest setting, and the frame rate immediately dropped by 50%. I'll leave it disabled for now.

Lexie likes this.
  10. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Shadows in this game so far are absolute FPS killers.

Even with an GTX 980 Ti (6gb) or GTX 1070 (with 8 gb) shadows just kills the FPS.
    I usualy just play with "none" Shadows also in SotA.

Sure, it still runs smooth if i turn them on, but it runs a lot smoother if i turn them off.
    No idea if it's a Unity thing or SotA thing or a mix of both.

11. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I found also that turning shadows off fixes a lot of the problems with scenes being too dark at night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.