Sugggestion: Add a small XP & Gold reward to all new Point-of-Interest discoveries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spoon, Oct 4, 2017.

?

Agree?

1. Yes please

73.8%
  2. No please

9.5%
  3. Greatest Idea since sliced trolls

21.4%
  4. Worst idea since skill decay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Would someone think of the children?

4.8%
  6. ...or at the very least eat them?

11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

Haha I was going to say that they are good on toast, but Spoon beat me to it!

Stundorn and Spoon like this.
  2. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

@Spoon, I agree with your comments about time to implement. I'm not a fan of their current POI tracking system, I find it has problems remembering what you've discovered when leave and later reenter the scene. Blood River Outpost is a prime example. Every time I go back, all of the POIs that were discovered last time are gone. That may present a major problem for them.

Whether the NUE focuses on this aspect to introduce this discover isn't as relevant as to which group of player they are. Going back to Bartle's simplified definition of the types of players that exist. The explorers, whether new or veteran would be the ones that care he most. Might be the same with the achievers, those players who want to complete everything. But the ones that prefer combat, may not be as interested, even if they are new players. If those players, and maybe the socializes, get one cool, if not who cares.

While coding is important, going back to scenes and adding the POIs or more POIs or less POIs, ie balancing the xp reward for each scene versus how fast it makes a player advance, would also need to be performed. It's not just a coding exercise, but also a design and balance issue as well. That's going to take time.

Elwyn, LoneStranger, Numa and 2 others like this.
  3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not all need to be so detailed some has the detail from outside sources.

Star Wars Galaxies had PoI’s from the movies/books. Pit of Sarlacc for example. No need for anything more than a visit, get an achievement and experience, then enjoy the scene.

I hereby formally submit my interest in a Janitor Quest Dev position. If ever created I call dibs!

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Spoon like this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Did you report that as a bug?

5. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

Of course.

6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Rock on.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I would love to see some randomization of discoveries too, like nodes. This helps against exploits a bit. It is amazing what can be exploited. I guess that's part of the bane of adding to an mmo a discovery system that is fun and encourages exploration without the glaring effect of oh lets fight these mobs over and over and get the chest again and again. While that can be fun and I have grouped and enjoyed time doing that as well, I am hoping for more to encourage exploration that is fun. I don't want to necessarily take away things people find as fun already but to add to it as for example think of rock climbers and people who want to just see what's at the top of the mountain or behind door one that they get satisfying experiences too. We could find interesting things too ;)

Spoon likes this.
  8. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well it often takes time till I reply as I’m often…err...distracted and sadly I didn't checked yesterday the "new messages" before (or after) posting. :oops:
    And yes of course the first iteration should be something simple and easy to create but already with the much later to be finished mechanic in mind as I think creating a workaround to make a simple mechanic more complex if that wasn’t intended from the start is much more work than preparing the mechanic right from the start. ;)

9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I regret that Asheron's Call ended the way it did. The game deserved much more than having the maintenance team unceremoniously pull the plug on it's last day. There really should be a way to preserve virtual worlds in which a lot of blood,sweat and tears have been poured into both by it's devs and it's devoted, loyal community.

10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Totally agreed. That is definately the way to do it if one is able. If one know the Now-Later-Vision then one can design stuff in the foundation that will make it easier to get the rest built.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You do realize the amount of screaming and whining that would result from taking such a freebie away once people got used to it? Remember what happened with the 10,000 daily xp? Yeah. That's why you don't take lightly giving people freebies for doing little things, especially if you're planning to take it away later.

And there are still some areas (mostly older areas, I think), where POIs aren't saved. You don't want that to get exploited.

Now, maybe if there was a reward for getting "all" POIs in an adventure scene, but the problem with that is you can't be sure they won't want to add more later. (yes, simple fix is only ever award that once, like the Town Crier gold) Or maybe some xp for every 100 new POIs.

If I think back to the FFXI way of doing things, there would be some NPC in Brittany whose quest is to go find POIs, then you come back to him and he tells you how many you have found and gives you some reward for new ones. This would also be an immersive way to justify getting gold from it, rather than a sudden KA-CHING in the middle of a dark forest.

This. I'd rather see POIs get saved properly everywhere. Having them stay around is a reward on its own.

Alley Oop likes this.
  12. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

What did you THINK we alchemists put in those regeneration potions?

Stundorn likes this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Human remains

Be sure Bowen dont know about *hrhrhr*

unicornslady and Athanil like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

While I agree in the generic I'd disagree in the specific.
    1 - the idea doesn't stand and fall on the gold part of the reward. Instead it would work fine with only an XP one.
    2 - Also if you pull it from the POI discovery and put into a quest reward then it is not gone. Quite the opposite since a quest reward is likely to be higher.
    3 - Since it is a one time thing for each POI then the player feeling of entitlement diminishes over time since there are fewer POI to find. So those veteran who complained about the 10k thingie would long ago have discovered most of their POI.
    So I don't think it would be the same in this specific case, while I fully agree that entitlement and loss aversion are a thing generally.

Yupp:

Yea agreed, but the ROI on that is much further down the line, so such specific instead of dynamic things would by default be post-poned beyond Episode 1.

15. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Yes, another use for the cartographer! :cool:

My mother was a cartographer for the U.S. Geological Survey and besides creating new maps, one of her jobs was to work on updating old maps. Part of the necessary information obtained to update the old maps was gathered by the Federal geologists while they worked on their in-the-field projects.
    So that concept can be easily used that the cartographer has various fieldwork jobs for adventurers to help update the maps. :D

Spoon and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

There are POIs in safe zones. Plus, the achievers are the ones who arr now afraid of skill decay, this more tickles the explorers, who haven't gotten much love.

Elwyn, unicornslady and Spoon like this.
  17. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

I hope we then get XP for discovering dance parties. :)

unicornslady likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.