1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

R46 Postmortem Missed Questions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

You don't have to. I completed the the story without going through a single PvP zone.

Chatele and Rufus D`Asperdi like this.
  2. Sir Grant

Sir Grant Avatar

I find the irony delightful!

Peabo likes this.
  3. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

The mark and recall system added quite a bit of personalization to UO in my opinion. I could mark a spot in a location that only I knew about. Would be nice if we could figure out a way to capture that without messing with the economy too much.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Please find a single instance where I've claimed that any decision by Portalarium will lead to the failure of the game as a whole.

There is no irony in my statement. There is and has never been any inconsistency in my statements. The game may thrive with my absence, the game may fail with me present. I have and claim no knowledge of the future or the long term effect of any of the thousand decisions made by the development team over the course of the last 5 years. I don't know, nor have I ever claimed knowledge of the effect of any decision made by portalarium beyond its effect on Me, for I am the sum total of the people I have sufficient knowledge of or permission to speak for. One person's opinion is highly unlikely to spell either success or doom for the project.

If you're trying to imply that the success or failure of the game depends on my thoughts and opinions, I must most humbly disagree.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  5. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

+1

6. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

No where in those quotes does he say the game will fail.

Reading is your friend!

7. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Hear Hear. A trip across the world should require some consequence and consideration. Why even have a geography if ubiquitous teleporting turns it into a collection of disjointed instances.

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

So no dependencies in MP?
    How then can economy work
    How can PvE be group content or challenging
    Whats about people who want to play an authentic role and want to partake in PvP? So lets say RPvP when "forced" to skill all Magic trees?
    You know that skills not only affect characters when actively used, they also build up resistance and give other boni as well, like Sun Innate what increase Str over the day.
    So if one is a Moonmage and want to be authentic and RP he rather want to skill any Sun skills.
    If one is an Icemage he dont want to skill Fire.
    If one is a dedicated healer he maybe dont want to use death magic.
    How can this be balanced?

@Chris

9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

ARGH! This is so frustrating. I can see both sides at, like, 50% here.

Soooo.... can we have a compromise and allow for recalling to our own (multiple) homes that we own or co-own? And maybe guild houses? Please?

10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I own 12 tax free lot deeds... Do you wish to hand that much power and flexibility to the 'Whales'?
    Isn't that Pay-to-Win?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Honestly, it's far too easy to travel as it is. Teleport and Recall need a revamp.

12. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Yeah I guess that's a good point :/

13. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Teleport should simply cease to be... Recall is fine as it is, though I wouldn't object to recall scrolls being difficult and expensive to make, as they were supposed to be when the abilities were first proposed by @Chris & @DarkStarr. Now they're a common loot drop... so common in fact that crafters are complaining that their market has crashed. Hardly rare or expensive.

The one limitation that Did make it less useful was you couldn't teleport or recall while encumbered... and now @Chris has largely removed that limitation with Artifacts that vastly increase the weight you can carry.

I will never understand why @Lord British allowed Teleport to become a thing, considering that Regional Economies was one of his primary design points for the game. It seems he had a lapse and forgot the lesson taught him by The Thief so long ago that led him to state, "After that, I began to think more carefully about the rules we ourselves put in the game, and the inevitable play styles that would come of it." at least in this one instance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  14. Browncoat Jayson

I don't necessarily want Teleport to vanish, but limit it to party only and it at least keeps it's goal (allow friends to play together quickly) while getting rid if the "friends list as teleport targets)" issue. #freethefriendslist

Fister Magee and Stundorn like this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Needing to group simply adds one more simple step to the process and does little to achieve your stated goal.

16. Browncoat Jayson

It means that there will not be a reason to simply friend *everyone*, knowing you will never group with them and just want them to be your teleport monkey. It would allow the friend list to actually have friends on it.

Look at it this way; if more players actually had to ask someone to group in order to teleport to them, they might further engage them with, you know, actually grouping with them. Playing together. Not soloing. That sounds like a win right there. Less need for a LFG system.

Numa likes this.
  17. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Rufus D'Asperdi - Having the ability to port around has no impact on your game enjoyment as you can opt to not use it, however restricting other players who love the system and have very fond memories of ultima online rune books/libraries will.
    There are still reasons in-game that players will not portal around these include sieges, random encounters, control points and socal interaction and to save on scrolls to name a few. The current main reason I use scrolls is to avoid loading screens.

18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

that would be a change i would like sooooooooo much!!!!

although i accept any request and my fl is loooooooooong :D

i use it rarely - need to supprt #freethefriendslist

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wouldn't be opposed to this going away, especially if they finally implement the "find a group" feature.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

1: Teleport should have been for testing purposes only
    2: With regional economies there should be areas in each region that are good options to do what people at their current level do. Then there would be less need to teleport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.