1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotAMap Acquisition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I don't understand why a map system isn't just being written/built into the game client proper like with every other MMO out there, rather than some online only thing that points to resources outside of the client. SotAmap is a great fanwork (just like UOAM was) but I don't see how it can perform better than something truly native to the client. I have to wonder if the current endeavour is going to be a development timesink that still won't reach a decent level of satisfaction for the average player or not.

2. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Ill go with you ashlynn on this.
    Why buy something from a guy, create some kind of company to own that specific features, buy amazon server and bandwith... pay people... etc etc...

When you can just get a mini map template from the unity addon store, modify it a bit to have a good top view of current map (and you can also get the coord since its already in the system) and show it on that mini map... No downloading no nothing... Everything would be automatic... No map making... so much money saved.

Im not sure this was the best idea..

3. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

If this means we won't have to wait for sotamap to load so long,in or out of game, I'm all for it.

Jakub White and Numa like this.
  4. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Then it would have been less hassle for all concerned if you'd not bothered to make a bad joke in the first place.

That's easy to achieve: play the game on Linux ;)

5. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i once failed to configure the suse kernel and tried ubuntu later -that was maybe the mistake :p

6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Because they don't have infinite resources or infinite capacity to create things instantly. And you do realize that the in-game sotamap is a web-browser plug-in and not "native to the client", right? It is literally displaying the web version in a box.

7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@DarkStarr - Will updates made to POTs via SotAMap.com no longer impact the in-game version? (I've been updating my town fairly diligently but do not want to continue to make the effort if it won't impact live.)

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Good question. Something I'd like to know also. I have updates I'd like to make.

Bodhbh Dearg and Rentier like this.
  9. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's what I am here for. With a grain of productivity here and there.

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Not so much a bad joke as it is an insult.

11. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Phase 1: Make what is there work better
    • Server Hosting: We plan to move SotAMap to a faster server with a better internet connection
    • House Data Automation: Right now house ownership data has to be entered by hand. We plan to automate this with the option to “opt out”
    • Map Creation: Get missing maps created (Outskirts, uncloned scenes from last few months, etc.)
    • Community: Restart community submissions of maps and customization of maps (POTs)

All I've really seen. So far.

And....

Numa likes this.
  12. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Others can correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe there was ever an intention for SoTA to have an overhead map. We were going to have individual maps, the compass and that's it. It was going to be a situation where you had to memorize the overland of Novia and Hidden Vale. At least that's how I recall the plans.

I started nearly three years ago and was constantly getting lost...lol. Plenty of players wanted an overhead map, many did not. For players like me, who not only wanted an overhead map, but actually need it, Jakub's SoTAMAP filled in that void.

It makes sense to me that Portalarium would do a deal to get the rights. Why waste time, resources and energy reinventing the wheel when a map like this was never in the plans and it is already built?

I'm glad that Portalarium took this route. It continues the tradition of incorporating player resources or player ideas into the game and to my way of thinking, it shows how committed Portalarium is to honoring community endeavors.

13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I recall hearing or reading that they snapshotted the data from the web site. So they may continue to impact the in-game version until they switch over, at which point it would revert to the snapshot of last (?) week.

Hopefully they will now be able to use the game database to generate much of the data (such as location and the lot owner), severely reducing your need to make updates.

As long as there is some way to support custom info for NPC town lots (such as the street addresses I entered for Kingsport), I'll be happy.

14. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Do not bother making any changes to SotAMap.com right now. Anything done since we announced is not going to come over. To be honest unless your changes are already live it is highly unlikely we have it.

15. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

It was always intended to have some type of overland map. Originally there was discussion on using fog of war with it.

Spoon and Fionwyn Wyldemane like this.
  16. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

Thanks Sean. You've been here longer so I yield to your superior knowledge of SoTA history :) I just don't recall any plans to ever have this type of map, but water under the bridge. We have it now!

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  17. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@DarkStarr can we please get the map to turn while we're walking based on our direction similar to Google Maps so that the direction we are going is always at the top of the map? At least optionally. Also, maybe an in-game way to report when maps are wrong so you're aware of it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  18. John Markus

John Markus Avatar

AFAIK, Leatlet.js does not support map rotation.

19. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Well hopefully they can figure out a way around this issue.

20. il One

il One Avatar

They could rotate the entire web browser...

Link_of_Hyrule likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.