My newbie question list

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ixo, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ixo

ixo Avatar

Hi guys, new to SotA and I'd appreciate if you help me understand few things that confuse me now quite a lot.

1) If I lock glyph to number 3 in combat bar, what makes the difference that in one deck i can hold 3 and charge it, and in another it gets shorter bar insta-filled? In one deck I have all glyphs of same type put into deck (thus having 4/4, in other only 1/4 if that makes sense)

2) How comes that my Collar Recovery says I am over 100% to keep collar on failed taming attempts while losing collars in reality?

3) I recently acquired Blink and when in town it says that it has 40% fizzle chance but let's me cast it, while in some random mines it has red number on it and is disabled all the time, not allowing me to cast it at all, what makes that difference?

4) I noticed no matter what mobs I try to fight (2skull or 3 skull) I tend to lose xp from pool. I can get pool rising on 4-skull mobs, but those are really tough to kill usually and I tend to die some there. What's the preferred way to rise XP combat pool constantly?

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

1 The amount of charges on a locked glyph is related to all the cards not in the deck. If you put cards into the deck for dynamic slots they won't charge on the locked one.

2 it's 100% on a modifier which is not the same as actually 100% recovery.

3 this could be a lot of things do you have regs for the cast and is the spot you are blinking to visible. The fizzle chance is also related to gear and skill level.

4 generally you would have to lock most of your skills to get the pool to always go up. The pool is just a collection of exp you haven't trained into skills. As it goes up higher more of the exp gets used each skill usage. So with skills with a lot of use the pool can drain really fast.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

4- turning off skills to not train will help you build up your pool. Only train a couple at a time. Your pool is draining because you are training too many things or so it sounds.

Welcome to the game. I am Majoria in game if I can help.

4. Diminio

Diminio Avatar

Regarding question 3.

You can't blink if you have the over weight icon, top right corner. Or check you weight limit in your bags, pressing 'I'.

Edit, strength will increase your carry weight as will the heavy lifter skill. Buffs that provide strength increases can also help if you just need an extra bit of carry weight.

5. ixo

ixo Avatar

Thank you guys, you were very helpful! Regarding blink... Bingo, I was in mines, I am newbie... so naturally I was overweight :D. This game lets me go 'empty' from the city while having 75/113 inventory already ^^.

Great regarding locked glyphs, so if I want to charge for max damage, I should keep only one glyph in the deck not all. Is there any other advantage why should I consider having locked glyph AND having all glyphs in deck at the same time?

And I misunderstood collar recovery completely then, I need to get it much higher, was wondering what would be the point :).

Thanks again! This game has one of the most helpful communities I've seen in a good while.

Vladamir Begemot and Winfield like this.
  6. Diminio

Diminio Avatar

Re locked v unlocked, in my opinion a mix is best, so defensive buffs locked and attacks unlocked (exceptions dots eg rend).

The only downside is the global cooldown on locked skills.

I'm glad you're enjoying it and never feel there is a game related question you can't ask:)

Spoon likes this.
  7. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I usually have one slot on my bar for the skill I'm currently training. Then I lock that skill in one slot and put as many on rotation as possible. That way I get to train it faster while keeping adventuring.

8. Patchup

Patchup Avatar

4) As other have mentioned, setting your skills to maintain or off, if below 40, is the best.
    The higher the skill the larger percentage of Xp it will take from your pool. So the larger the pool the quicker the skills level. For skills below 20, you are probably safe keeping 2-3 on learning.
    When you die, Xp is lost from the pool or skills if not enough in the pool. The death penalty goes down the more you die within a period of time. I think 24 hours.
    Keep 500,000 Xp in your pool. As you level build it to a 1,000,000 and so on.

Most importantly keep your "fun" pool filled. Welcome to SoTA!

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Ultimately, that XP is more useful going toward skills but if having a large pool makes you feel better then go for it.

10. ixo

ixo Avatar

Yeah, same, but is there difference to have a glyphA locked and having all instances of glyphA put into deck at the same time? Faster CD or something similar? I understand that for example having 1/4 glyph in deck and locked will let me charge the glyph for extra damage. While having 4/4 glyph in deck and locked will not let me charge (but is there any difference besides only having default damage thus losing benefit of charging?).

11. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

In regards to question 4: Having a large pool of exp is not better by default. For skills that you raise in combat, it's equaly effective to spend the exp on skills as you get it compared to buildning up a pool and then spending it.

However if you think some skills are more important than others, then you can train them faster by locking the rest. And if you want to level skills by hitting a doll or spamming buffs in town, then it's better to build up a pool first.

12. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

If we talk about the skills that you use while farming exp, what I said is true. The time spent farming x amount of exp and then using it up will be the same as spending while you farm. So equal repairs etc. But if we talk about other skills that you don't use regularly while farming you have a point.

13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Nah, for me it is more about availability. I tend to stuff a lot of "fun" into my random draw which is suboptimizing my build.

But yea if you factor cool down and want to optimize effectiveness then having the minimum sized deck and all the glyphs on random draw you'd get to spam the 'train' skill more. But that wouldn't work as well while adventuring but rather like a training deck when at home showing a training dummy who is boss. :p

14. ixo

ixo Avatar

Thanks a lot guys, very helpful inputs again! I'd like to concentrate on locking what I can lock now, to really build up core skills faster (I would like to hit t5 areas asap and be able to survive there against toughest mobs (eg Hardened skeletons), which is not working for me, unless I am able to really isolate the creature to closely 1v1 it.) I play ranger, I have following actively skilling up:

Ranged - as primary damage source
    Rapid Fire (only charged skill in my deck) - LOCKED
    Aimed Shot - LOCKED
    Blinding Shot - LOCKED
    Disabling shot (locked at 40?)
    all Innates to get school as effective as possible

Light armor - primary defense line
    Dodge - LOCKED
    Flurry (I use autoattack not free charge, seems to give me better dps overally) - LOCKED

Water - secondary defense line
    Douse
    Shield of Ice
    Soothing Rain (heal)
    no Innates

Life - primary source of heals
    Healing Touch
    Healing Burst
    Healing Ray

Tactics - to get more stats
    only Innates (will they rise without active skill from this group?)

Earth - mostly innates giving me dmg resist + active Str buf

Air - active Dex buff
    Blink - LOCKED

I use also Subterfuge tree mostly for Silent Movement (is it beneficial with bow actually?) and Distract to pull agro more efficiently
    Also not sure if Poison Weapon, Sap & Sneak works with Bows? I'd love to use them if they do.

I have Focus school unlocked mostly to get Innates

I use Red Spider to help with kiting + extra damage (thus have Taming unlocked - would like to get it up to get decent combat pet, let's say major taming skills up to 80)

What do I possibly need to cut of for now or what else to add to make me better Ranger? I use leather armor and +6 Pine Longbow, I guess that one can take me a long way(?). My main problem is missing a lot on tougher mobs, which only improves with higher Ranged skills, correct? My xp pool usually starts around 25-30k every day and I slowly drain it down.

My adventurer level is 45

Sorry for wall of text, really trying to find the ground under my feet here :).

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.