Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

[Known] 683 - Lighting issues

Discussion in 'World Building, Scenes, Environment, & Overworld' started by Mishikal, Oct 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Lighting issues continue to plague the game. It's really easy to find these in this region of the Spectral Mines, but it is not unique to this scene:

Area: Spectral Mines (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines) Loc: (-113.6, -20.0, -95.4) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjFfRm9yZXN0MDJfU3BlY3RyYWxNaW5lc3x8KC0xMTMuNTUzLCAtMTkuOTk5LCAtOTUuMzg5KXwoMCwgLTAuNjc3LCAwLCAtMC43MzYpfC0yNzQuNTY1NnwxMC45MTMzNHw0LjEyNTMyNQ==

Issue #1) Lighting a torch/brazier does nothing. Which torches/braziers this affects is random. It also may change if you leave/re-enter the scene (I.e., one you couldn't light before you can now light)

Issue #2) Default lit torches/braziers do not show up as lit. This requires knowing the scene well and which ones are lit by default. Also random. Turning it off/on has no effect.

Issue #3) A default lit torch/brazier from a distance mysteriously goes out when you approach it.

Issue #4) A default lit torch/brazier does not appear lit from a distance, and mysteriously lights when you approach it.

Issue #5) Lit candles disappear/reappear depending on distance/viewing angle.

Issue #6) A lit torch/brazier (default or not) may appear lit at one point and not lit later. No rhyme/reason to it, either.

Torch in distance on the left not lit (Issue #4):
    [​IMG]

Torch now lit as I approach (Issue #4):
    [​IMG]

Magic appearing candle on table, not here in this shot (Issue #5):

[​IMG]

Magic appearing candle on table (Issue #5):
    [​IMG]

This torch through this doorway is lit on this pass round the scene (Issue #6):
    [​IMG]

I come by 5 minutes later (not leaving the scene, just going in a loop), and it is no longer lit:
    [​IMG]

2. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Great post. I hope it helps devs get this lighting thing resolved.

Mishikal likes this.
  3. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

@Mishikal
    Great post indeed! We have to address these issues scene by scene as each one can have its own settings/overrides.
    If possible when you see these spots grab the coords as it helps the developer more than anything as they have to look at each spot individually. I love the details you provided as it clearly shows an issue, but finding them all in their tools is what they also need. :)

I am bugging this one so none needed here!

4. Lexie

Lexie Bear Queen Emeritus

Bug #: 52454

5. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

@Lexie The problem is that which torches/braziers are affected changes all the time, so if I document "X" torch is broken, a dev could come along and say 'works for me', because it was working for them in their scene load. Also, as I noted, some of the behavior isn't even consistent in the same scene load. It may be working one minute, and broken the next. So that is why I left out coordinates. ;)

Sea-Wolf and Aldo like this.
  6. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

@Mishikal a few questions to help identify this problem.

What platform are you running on? iOS, Linux, PC?
    What graphics card are you using?
    What are your graphics quality setting?
    Are there a large number of other players (w/ lights) in the same instance?
    Are these problems still persisting, and to your knowledge have they been around for awhile?

I'm not seeing any of these problems, but I suspect that it is hardware/OS related, or that the scene light limit is being reached.

7. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

My platform is Windows 10 64-bit
    My graphics card is an nVidia 980
    My graphics setting in game is custom (Fantastic, but shadow distance set to none)
    My report is while doing the scene in solo/party, and I'm not in a party
    These problems have existed across multiple releases.

Interestingly, the last time I went in the instance in a group, everything worked as it was supposed to. I can take a look at R48 QA and see if I encounter the same issue(s) solo.

Sea-Wolf likes this.
  8. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

Well now I'm stumped. I'll probably have to push this problem to tech. Thanks.

Mishikal likes this.
  9. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Still broken in R48 QA build 585. Torch at

Area: Spectral Mines (Novia_R1_Forest02_SpectralMines) Loc: (-102.2, -15.3, -96.3) DBG: Tm92aWFfUjFfRm9yZXN0MDJfU3BlY3RyYWxNaW5lc3x8KC0xMDIuMTcsIC0xNS4zMzMsIC05Ni4yNTQpfCgwLCAtMC44MTksIDAsIDAuNTc0KXwtMTE1LjI5NDd8MTYuMDA3NDl8Ni40MjA3Ng==

will not light when I go to light it.

10. Sea-Wolf

Sea-Wolf Avatar

I talked to our tech artist. Apparently this is a known issue he is working on.

Mishikal likes this.
  11. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I don't know if my issue is related to this, but sometimes, lit light sources don't cast any light around, even at home (diverses ones like wall torches in the mines, iron chandelier, ornate iron wall light, diagonal muntin wall light, frosted glass chandelier...). Usually, I make a record, but I didn't this time.

I relogged and everything was fine again, just like some lights didn't loaded properly.

12. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.