1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 48 Major Artifact Changes: Repair, Salvage, Enchant, Masterwork

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Rok Yrikk likes this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree and give more than metal scraps back occasionally. It is very disheartening to take so much time to buy or grind resources to throw a few metal scraps in your face like take that you scum. I cry all the time;). Occasionally give us back an ingot or two, something to help with blow up pain please. It can be just sometimes but that would be more interesting than now. We never accidentally make two of something. It is always the same old same old. We need interesting please.

MagiK and Numa like this.
  3. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

I can't say I am thrilled by the changes coming to artifacts in respect to repairing.
    My hope is if said changes come into effect, that the devs arrange all artifacts prior to r48 have their minor and major repair values reset to 0.

Using coto's to repair the major value on an artifact should remain though, if I had known 8 months ago that an item gained through RMT would get "balanced" in a way in my mind devalues my purchase or my time, I wouldn't have put forth the effort.

manufacturedsoul and Applerust like this.
  4. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I also hope they set all artifacts to max before R48. Here is an example: I just found a Sword of Speed form a Supply Yellow Bundle. its durability when found is 28/50. Cannot repair it either with an awkward carpentry or any kind of scroll nor with a COTO and R48 has still not been implemented. May just wait until R48 and smelt it to see if I get anything to repair my Cutlass of the Swashbuckler. Seems these artifacts for a melee fighter are going to be used sparingly due to the high level of deterioration. I hope they have an answer for this or these artifacts in my opinion will be used very sparingly and not worth much on the market due to their durability loss/non repair ability. Any clarification of my perception on this topic is appreciated. R/Boris/El Pirata

Gerugon likes this.
  5. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

This whole discussion makes me sad. Not sure why the devs want to make the game less fun and more of a hassle, and that is all that this change does. Anyone whose seriously gonna be affected by artifact non-repairs probably already has a solid crafter so who exactly will benefit from this? Not Joe the player crafter hanging out in town that's for sure!!

So now I just shelf my artifacts and make my own gear or wear blessed / quest items that are slightly crappier. Solved my issue of them trying to force me to spend more gold/time/energy to keep what I already have in just a few minutes. What really changes with this "fix" other than most of us just shelving or selling items we'd prefer to use for junkier items to avoid wasting countless hours of grinding / gold. What problem was actually avoided / solved with this change. That's what I really want to know, that is the question I still feel hasn't been adequately answered by the devs in regards to this change. In fact it's been swept under the rug and almost completely ignored / avoided!

Why is this REALLY happening?!?!

The devs make it sound like oh it will be super cool you can enchant artifacts. But we all know that's a pipedream. Whose gonna actually waste time enchanting items that just break after one night out fighting if it doesn't break trying to enchant, makes literally ZERO sense. It would probably still make zero sense even with a guarantee success on enchanting cause it's gonna break after 1-2 fighting sessions either way. Only the Uber wealthy or super farmer will take those types of chances meaning this change only helps the top tier players advance further while everyone else takes it to the chin. I wish the devs would think this one over a bit more before pulling the trigger, constantly adding in uber punishment after uber punishment isn't what makes a game fun or "realistic". With so many choices of games for people to play out there now why are the devs constantly looking for ways to push people away and punish the players who have limited play time instead of brining them into the fold? I just don't get it from a business perspective it seems counter intuitive. We all still want this game to actually succeed don't we?!?!? I'm starting to think some of these devs are losing sight of the end goal here now that this "beta" process has stretched on so long past when it was suppose to. I hope that's not the case but i'd really like to be reading things on the forum that i'm like damn this is awesome glad they added new cool stuff to the game not man this blows guess i'll be shelving my good gear and playing the game less. This whole "fix" just seems like a major net loss for the players and the game as a whole no matter how they try to spin this enchant your artifacts nonsense...

6. Sneekiepeat

Sneekiepeat Avatar

Don't you think you might want to add say crafted belts. I kind of defeats purpose if there is no crafted item competing with the slot the arti fill.

Daxxe Diggler and Bankee like this.
  7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

remove all repair kits! Only a crafter should be able to repair anything at the right crafting station and no coto repair either, if an item is worn its discarded ;).... yeah I'm never going to convince this community that its more fun this way I guess :p

GreyMouser Skye, Malimn and Bankee like this.
  8. Sneekiepeat

Sneekiepeat Avatar

well I currently can solo the same content with store bought armor and weapons that I was soloing with my artifacts and crafted armor. so I guess I can keep my artifacts for deco and save on cotos for max dura repairs.

9. kells550

kells550 Avatar

the very, very select few, who can actually solo a dragon, have earned the right to do so. if you think soloing a dragon is easy, or that anyone can do it, you are wrong.
    while it might have been true a couple months ago that anyone over level 95 could solo a dragon (it has to be raw level, because dragons see through adventurer level boosting items, it most certainly is not the case now),
    also, you do realize that artifacts drop out of yellow sacks, and that any mobs over level 55 or so can drop them.

10. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

They have earned the "right" to be strong sure but I dont think anyone should be able to solo a Dragon for many reasons. I hear Drakes are incoming, those to me are much more suitable for hard to kill but still soloable creatures.

more on topic, artifacts have been a thorn in my side since they came (I'm not without them) and I do belive this change is for the better, soon we'll know :)

11. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Avatar

Rarely do I drop my opinion on subject matter in this game, but I must say something here.

I hope that artifact drops are increased substantially for adventurers. I feel like this game is heavily geared toward crafters who just want to slow grind out in the mines and stand at crafting stations all day. I would like to see more focus on the adventuring side for players who like to go out and fight for a living. Because right now I feel pretty limited on what I can do and what I can earn compared to gathering and crafting which is boring af for me.

Applerust and Boris Mondragon like this.
  12. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

I am hoping that if you smelt a couple of artifacats , you will get enough essence to repair them those that have max durability loss.

Paulie Walnuts likes this.
  13. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Updated the OP with some clarifications about Gems and Belts
    • No Gem Socketing (new 11/16/17): At this time Artifacts are not eligible for Gem Socketing. This is unlikely to change.
    • No Belts (new 11/16/17): Since belts do not yet exist in the crafting system artifact belts are not yet eligible for any enchanting nor masterworking. This will not change until belts can be crafted.

14. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

People seem to only read the "no repair by these methods" and completely ignore the repair method listed after.
    Question: How many times can you repair a single artifact with essences?
    @DarkStarr

15. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

Even you tought it wouldnt be major repairable ;p

16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Updated OP with another clarification:

Max Repair via Crowns (new 11/17/17): After much feedback and consideration we are going to re-enable Max Repair via Crowns in an upcoming patch (watch the patch notes). Current Durability will still need to be repaired via Artifact Essences (not repair kits).

17. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Just trying to confirm, so if you have a 5/80(100) item, using a crown will make it 5/100, not 100/100, right?

18. eli

eli Avatar

Dang.

I just wasted a coto repair on about 20 artifacts early. Losing the cotos is fine, but losing an early round of diminishing returns on coto repair for everything sucks.

Disgruntled, Bow Vale and Ancev like this.
  19. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Praise the Lord! \o/

This still cycles others out of the economy to be used as the main repair method. Good call.

I had done that prior to this release in anticipation, i would imagine it will reset with the new changes

Numa and eli like this.
  20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Just to clarify because im slow, the coto repair option is permanent or a short term thing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.