Acquiring Gold - How?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nelzie, Nov 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Ultima Online was one of two MMOs and the first of its kind. That was 20 years ago. This is a different time and the MMO world is a LOT different now.

(sorry to hijack your post @Nelzie - i'm done now.)

2. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Things are already rather inflated. A going rate for recipes is 20k gold. To me, that's rather obscenely high, but... a price that I have no choice, but to pay, until I start looting piles of recipes myself. At that point, I'll probably sell the ones I don't need for closer to 5k or less. Because... why not?

I do sell some things, Corpse Wax is something that I always have WAY more than I need on me, plus Granite Blocks, unless I'm really just trying to max out the ore that I am lugging back to my bank.

Aside from that... There's just not a whole lot that I've yet seen that will allow me to take some breaks off of mining to go out and generate any cash from mobs at a slightly higher rate than the mobs that pester me in the mines. I'd be happy, if I could double or nearly triple the amount of gold per hour of game play, if I focused purely on mobs and or had some side quests or dungeons to go clear that would give me something cool and or a pile of gold. I mean... having four Dragonbone thrones are nice... but that's a one time decoration that everyone will be able to get, which is why I never see those selling for much more than a few hundred gold. LOL

But... a repeatable dungeon with some low level, random artifact and some decent gold would be nice...

3. golruul

golruul Avatar

Not disagreeing with your strategy, but this whole bit assumes you have your own lot, is in a good location that others visit, and have a commission-free vendor. I don't think those are reasonable assumptions, especially for people that are struggling to make gold.

I haven't tried selling on other people's vendors, though, so not sure if they charge a commission.

4. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

I think the people ADVERTISING recipes are selling them for 20k, but there are plenty of quieter vendors closer to 5k.

Don't believe the hype.

5. Alleine Dragonfyre

I have found this community has a hard time empathizing with the "have-nots." This isn't meant as an insult to the community but a call for understanding that the majority of players won't posses even half of what people here do now.

Stundorn likes this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

And there are a large number of people who took advantage of exploits or unbalanced gameplay to rake in the dough before whatever it was changed and the door closed. Those people who built up hundreds of thousands, if not millions of gold have an advantage over those of use who didn't take advantage of, or didn't even know of those opportunities. The answer I always got was "it will balance itself out in the end" but I don't think it ever really will.

Vaiden Luro, Tamsen, Stundorn and 3 others like this.
  7. Alleine Dragonfyre

i didn't know that. if this was AFTER final wipe, not cool.
    im not sure why we're not wiping again before launch. no one has really been able to tell me exactly what "launch" will be actually. in fact, i had a pretty explosive thread going about that and other things that got locked.

8. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Because there's no way to undo the transactions involving real money which have occurred since final wipe.

9. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

We aren't wiping before launch because we've already had launch. No matter what people want to call it, official or not, it's happened. Official Release will be whenever they think they have checked all the boxes about stuff that is required with the minimal amount of backlash (because face it, every move has some sort of backlash in this community).

The old saying goes "It takes money to make money" and so those who managed to finagle gold through the loopholes have an easier time taking advantage of market inefficiencies and such.

Elwyn likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

At this point there are quite a few community vendors as well as rent free places to stay. If you would like a great place to sell raw materials for free, I think @Lace may still be allowing players to list on their community vendor so that they have mats available for crafting events.

I'm not sure that's fair. There are lots of spots available for people to stay for free. Check out the Outlander Help Center. I think Veritas Sanctuary may have free places as well. Guilds are always offering up stuff. If you can't find help it is because you haven't asked or even looked in the forums.

11. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

@Nelzie I'll try to summarize this for you without noting how much things have changed since launch. By now, you likely understand there were several extremely lucrative mechanics that allowed players to bank tremendous amounts of gold in the past. It's unfortunate that they have been able to accumulate this wealth for well over a year now and you just started up ~3 months ago, but that's the way it is unfortunately. Don't dwell on it, unless you can also invent a time machine.

1 - Take every advantage possible within the rules of the game.
    2 - Utilize a customized, low-cost loadout on whatever your chosen farming area is. This may mean playing a character that's not enjoyable. You'll have to decide based on how efficient it is, vs. how much you'd rather play a different way.
    3 - Understand that investing into the economy with the goal of eventually making money is not a viable objective at this point.
    3a-If you want to be crafting all your own stuff, by all means, acquire recipes components and anything else you need to scratch that itch. If you're doing so with the hopes of eventually turning a profit, this will not happen. There are simply not enough people playing this game and, those that are, likely have been since launch and already have anything you can make anytime soon. Realistically, depending on whether or not they utilized one of the [totally broken] farming methods available in game since launch, change "anytime soon" in the last sentence to "ever".​
    4 - Consider if buying gold directly to ensure when you're in game, you don't have to do something you don't want to do, like farm for weeks. If you have other things you'd rather be doing in game, and are hating logging in to farm, this is a great option provided you have the means and desire to do so. Some folks never convert real money into digital objects inside a video game. Some folks never play games unless they can spend their real money to save them tedious actions inside the games they want to play. The only thing that matters is how you enjoy the game. Nobody's way is right or wrong, better or worse, etc. as long as you're operating within the rules of the game, you might as well be gaming and enjoying it.

Bottom line is you need to have fun. When you stop having fun, you stop playing. These seem to be the big points from the thread here so far. Hope they help!

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Take every advantage possible within the rules of the game

Wonder why persistence was one of the WORST ideas.

GreyMouser Skye and 3devious like this.
  13. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

That's fine by me! :)

It's good to be the 1% in Shroud! It's just a game, after all.

14. WindSilvermoon

WindSilvermoon Avatar

I love how there is no way to undo what we did hahaha is always the answer.
    See the Devs could they could decide that you abused a bug took advantage of a situation and lock your butt out and that is what they should do. Not the innocent party that bought your cheating exploited crap but the cheater. The blatant haha we cheated and there is nothing you can do because we gave you money is awful. This is not how it is done, just because I own stock in Disney does not mean I can go and destroy stuff and be like but I paid you, i own stock hahaha that isn't how it works. I am so tired of the devs turning a blind eye on all the BS and the cheaters using persistence as an excuse well I did this and you can't do anything, I can not believe the devs in all there kindness and intelligence are in any way okay with this. I also hope the devs keep this in mind when they read this post A friend is better then a mirror, and the hardest truths are the ones you do not want to hear. There are a million yes men screaming to not listen to our voices as we call you out for not wearing clothes, and are ready to condemn and crucify those that dare to speak that hey your friends have cut them off and are blinding you to the reality.

15. null2

null2 Avatar

Hey Nelzie, I have a few suggestions of how you can get more gold in the world. I know that you are just now able to handle 5 skull scenes, so some of this will require groups to achieve.

Firstly, make sure that when you are selling items, that you are selling them to the vendor who will pay the most. For example, sell gems and potions to Alchemists, sell weapons and armor to blacksmiths. They will pay 10% more for it.

Here is where I would go to make gold if I were you:

Chillblains Compendium of Pain and Suffering
    - Chillblains is a challenge dungeon located in the Graveyard of Braemar
    - Chillblains has a bunch of rooms, once you beat a room, you can go onto the next one.
    - There are 3 chests in chillblains with a chance to spawn valuable loot (e.g. 500-1000 gold, reagents, repair kits, etc).
    - You most likely will not be powerful enough to get to the third one, and the Skeleton room might be tricky solo.

Here is a video made about deck building for Chillblains

Higher gold mob drops, imps
    - Imps drop more gold than normal mobs, there are groups of them in Boreas Colossus and The Rise (typically 50+ gold each).
    - Imps will steal 50 gold from you if they get into melee range of you
    - There are more than 10 imps in Boreas Colossus, killing all of them without getting stolen from will give you around 500-1k gold typically.

Boss Farming
    - There are a few lower level bosses that have fast respawn times: Bridge Troll (in Vertas Pass, Nightshade Pass, and found on the overworld) and Lich Boss (Found in Ruins of Ravensmoor) are probably best for your level.
    - Farming bosses will give you a chance to get artifacts, but the real money comes from selling gems and repair kits to vendors.

My other suggestion would be to go with a group to The Rise:
    - There are three guarded chests in The Rise, their contents respawn every 10 minutes or so. These chests spawn for each individual, so everyone in the party can loot them.
    - The chests can have 100-1000 gold in them I believe, it is random. They also have lots of repair kits and reagents.
    - The first chest is right outside of the Lich Boss room, and the other two are behind the Lich Boss's chair.

Adam Crow, Retro, jolanar and 9 others like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

@Nelzie I make all my gold doing the following: Sell potions/gear drops to NPCs, Find vendors that regularly place BUY orders for comodities (ive persuaded a couple of guys with buy orders too alrge to sell to to throw some lower ammoutns ups o i can actually sell to them), And gather cotton/wood for the cutworms and borer beetles that sell very well on NPC vendors.

Dont be a hoarder. If your not using it right now, sell it. For instance alot of folks i know are haording borers and cutworms, sitting on 20k of each but are afraid to sell them cuz they wanna have hundreds when they become useful. Dont do that. You either hoard stuff or you have money $. Its waaaaay more difficult to do both at once.

Ask around for folks buyign comodities in discord trade channel, and talk to folks. Try to set up ana rrangment with a person who wants to buy soemthing you gather regularly so that you can jsut go to their vendor and sell it

17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You have tons of information here-
    Hoard what you want
    sell what you want
    find others to explore with that is your BEST solution ( I will hook you up with some peeps)

18. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

Here are some tips I have come up with to be more efficient in acquiring gold.

1 Do not craft. Wait until you have over 1 or 2 million crafting xp pooled before you try to raise your crafts or masterworks. You want every attempt at crafting to yield maximum skill gain as crafting is highly expensive. Also hold off on buying recipes until you know exactly what you need to make.

2 Skip the gems. When you are mining, the gem nodes are basically a huge waste of time. If you need gems, the snowy mountain trolls are the best source, as they drop several with each kill. The benefit and value of gems are small compared to the time it takes away from valuable mining.

3 Skeletons. Skeletons drop corpse wax. It is easy to gather and sell over 1000 corpse wax to make an extra 3k. Wyntons Folly or Deep Ravenswood are good locations because they have many in one spot and you can sell their drops in owls head for a higher price then other npcs.

4 Mages. Any humanoid/skeleton mage drops reagents, reducing the cost of the hunt.

5 Bow and Arrows. Along with the water elemental to heal you. You will not waste any gold on reagents or pots. It does not have to be your main build, but works to grind some quick cash when your friends are not looking.

Elwyn, Nelzie, jolanar and 1 other person like this.
  19. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

That is a HUGELY inflated price, and those people had better have the absolute best vendor spots if they think that will sell. I would never pay even half that for a recipe. Any recipe. In fact, any obsidian recipe I obtain, I will sell for a couple grand at most.

Nelzie likes this.
  20. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Obsidian recipes are not really relevent. They're easy to get, they're guaranteed spawns, you just need to know where to go. Recipes like Supple Leather Strap or Bronze Sheet are worth much more because they're more rare.

Alley Oop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.