Can we JUMP? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by RelExpo, Jun 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Turguin

Turguin Avatar

The lack of jumping/parkour feels annoying, I admit. For instance, that silly fence in the way - really I should be able to go through or over it if I wanted. I for one am not a fan of jumping in games but after playing the Alpha, I too feel like something like it needs to be in the game.

How about instead of a jump button/action, the character can intelligently move around/over objects in their way?

Small rock blocking you? Your character may skip/step over it. Moderate log in the way? The character jumps/parkours over it.
    Fence in the way? You might hurdle it, you might slip between the posts... whatever.
    Your character's ability to do this could be influenced by skills, magic and equipment. For instance, anyone wearing heavy armor probably can't jump at all.

Again - no jump button/action, instead just allow your character to intelligently navigate objects that are otherwise blocking them (and that might include a jumping action if appropriate and allowable by the character's situation/equipment).

Docfox, Ow_ and TEK like this.
  2. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

If there is to be no jumping in the game, I strongly feel there should at least be some form of "dodge" feature. A key that can be designated to leap or dodge enemy attacks or projectiles, perhaps similar to the one in Kingdoms of Amalur.

I think that a complete lack of this, jump and crouch would lead to a very stiff experience when it comes to combat and overall Avatar control.

BillRoy likes this.
  3. kardoc

kardoc Avatar

I think jump is necessary

Why not put a jump system which consumes stamina? You can jump one or twice max and after that he must stay stamina reload

Docfox, Ow_ and Ned888 like this.
  4. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I like it! That way leather armor dex-based guys can definitely jump more often due to their higher stamina. Jump could even turn into an active dodge if they wanted to go that route (and it's a good route).

deryk likes this.
  5. Evil Superhero

Evil Superhero Avatar

I haven't read the entire thread on this, but wanted to throw in a quick opinion:

I just finished playing the Mass Effect series and I loved it. Obviously, a different genre requires different controls, but I loved the idea of being able to move from cover to cover, vaulting over low obstacles and jumping small chasms. Fortunately, there were no dexterity puzzles in the game. The ability to do these small things, though, gave an intensity to the combat and exploration that were unmatched in games like Halo where you just run and gun.

I would love to see the equivalent of this in SotA if possible. Climbing cliffs or descending from ledges. Perhaps being able to use cover to dodge the wizard's fireball.

When I DM tabletop, my dungeons are rarely dug out tunnels that are easily traversed - the most recent dungeon was a monastery that had been swallowed by a sinkhole. Rooms were skewed different directions or upside down. The players have to fight in cramped quarters(no swords here!) and overcome terrain as well as monsters. I would like to see stuff like this in SotA, if possible.

6. Ow_

Ow_ Avatar

Why is there not a jump button? Humans can jump. It is a basic part of moving around. Please fix this.

7. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

I don't miss the jumping, but more some kind of intelligent climbing (like the climb Button in Ultima IX; I still think, it was an amazing idea and much better than these Bunny Hopping of other games, where players jump ridiculously high out of stand).

Jumping would be nice for jumping over creeks for example or from rock to rock with run-up (and only as far as your weight allows you), but not to jump over tables or fences or other players, which often looks ridiculous.

Sinclair likes this.
  8. Kazin

Kazin Avatar

Jumping doesn't have to affect pvp. So long as it offers no chance of hit evasion, it shouldn't really be a problem. If it turns out to be, well, who doesn't love the chaos that ensues for a day or so when a new exploit is found?

On the other hand, I'm sympathetic to the clipping and exploration issues it presents. I'm a fan of freeform jumping, but I could certainly live with contextual jumping if it was frequent and fluid enough. If done right, it could even be preferable. IIRC, even Assassin's Creed didn't have freeform jumping, it was all contextual jumping/diving/etc distributed generously enough that it felt even better than freeform.

RelExpo likes this.
  9. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Thats a great idea! Wow. I am fully behind this idea. A very good approach between those who want jumping and others which do not want jumping. I am convinced the most want jumping, because there are so much barriers in the world. But maybe they mean exactly your approach with intelligent climbing?

AndiZ275 likes this.
  10. Krovakin

Krovakin Avatar

I agree! Jumping would be a great idea in the game! I do not care too much for ducking and swimming would be a plus. But with swimming comes some realistic aspects to think about. Should you sink with heavy armor? Should you become fatigue from swimming too long? I think the swimming aspect can be delayed for now, but jumping would be a plus. As well, other skills can be made in the game with more movement ability. For instance, sprinting could be a plus for someone who wanted to be a ranger, and they could bring stealth back into the game as well! Which I thoroughly enjoyed on my thief characters.

11. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Im in a Sand Box, can i jump plz ???

Tx !

:D

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  12. stile

stile Avatar

After playing without jump, I realized how much I missed it.

13. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

I agree. It's not just that though, the character control (in general) needs some major tweaking as well! I hope for some strong improvements there in the subsequent releases, because that type of thing can be a game killer.

deryk likes this.
  14. LadyM

LadyM Avatar

I totally agree. When testing Release-1 without jumping, I realize how much I miss the ability. Not being able to take a little skip made me feel stuck and "heavy". I would like to be able to jump over low fences, logs and small rocks at least. And, more importantly; what about being able to jump while mounted? I must be able to jump over a fence or hedge on my shiny steed!

Maybe restrict it so you can't jump while in combat or in certain places where jumping would cause problems?

Just my two cents

deryk and LoneStranger like this.
  15. stile

stile Avatar

Before playing I was really indifferent on it. It was just not being able to jump onto small platforms or even step off Felt really odd. *chuckles*

deryk and LoneStranger like this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

yes I too worry about the invisible wall syndrome. I just came from ffxiv which is a beautiful game of course but the invisible walls drove me crazy. I want to explore and feel free and not walk a mile around something I could just jump over and be on my way. I don't know the technicalities of freedom but of course I can want it lol.

17. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Well there is going to need to be some sort of barrier. As long as the invisible walls are inside visible obstacles (Cliffs, solid rows of trees, fences, waterways if swimming isn't implemented...) that's ideal I think but they can't let you just pick a direction an wander endlessly. The area you are in has a maximum size and they need to block you well before edge of it, otherwise you reach the edge of the walkable plane (fall off it) and then this happens:

[​IMG]

Which is not great for presenting a polished and bug free game. :p

Placing the invisible walls over other obstacles means you can't simply jump over those obstacles to reach this point if jumping is implemented.

deryk likes this.
  18. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Obviously it's far too early to be calling this a polished and bug free game. Hell, Ultima Online is 15+ years old and still has issues. WoW as well, even with such a high budget.

We need invisible barriers of course, but what most of us are not fond of is trying to walk off a cliff or stairs and you just bump into air. Or if there is a wall with a hole big enough to go through but isn't actually passable.

My ideal jumping scenario (which I know WILL NOT be in game) comes from playing the recent Tomb Raider game. How she moves, jumps, catches onto edges, balances, falls, trips, uses contextual type connections to get to a new place to explore... THAT would be incredible but not going to happen here. Survival instincts are a great way to set up the Tracking skill... but I'm not going to get into that here lol

deryk likes this.
  19. ThePompousPeasant

ThePompousPeasant Avatar

So did Chris say jumping was going to be in? Does anyone know why they would not want us to be able to jump or walk?

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I heard in chat they are still working on how to handle jump.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.