You lost me - feedback

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Nov 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Maybe one of you should write down their definition of roleplay. Would help not to miss each others point all the time.

Stundorn likes this.
  2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Interesting, Im not sure we read the same forums, I see the complete opposite, in massive volumes.

Cordelayne, Mykll and Disgruntled like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Both are individual choices and neither can be forced. So I guess I don't get what you mean.

Have no idea who that is. :) I assume it's a particularly competitive character.

While I don't disagree that that can be a part of RP. I would not say that is the definition of RP. RP in of itself does not require competition.. unless that is your choice.

Mac2 likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sure but that still must be within reason. A player that chooses to be the a crafter should excpect to have to level some combat skills if they wish to also be a gatherer.

“Producer/Gatherers should be able to be self sufficient and not have to learn swords” - sounds odd because it’s an out of bounds expectation.

That’s the same as expecting to be able to kill a MOB that is highly resistant to you role play choice.

You want to role play a specialized class then you will run into things that will more complicated compared to a more flexible character.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

According to Merrium-Webster
    1 : to act out the role of
    2 : to represent in action

Or in other words, to assume and act out the role of a person.

I would argue most do not act in-game according to a role.. but rather as a person playing a game.. ie grinding and camping out bosses for XP.. is not RP. Going hunting for skins and dragon meat for your larder on the other hand is possibly a different story. :)

Mac2, Olthadir, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  6. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Gregor Clegan is a fictional character in the Game of Thrones TV series. I'm not fond of some aspect of that show but it's an interesting one nonetheless.

Gregor is that person :
    [​IMG]
    A pure melee warrior, probably strength oriented.

Sure, I don't think roleplay require to be competitive (your avatar can be an average fisherman), but the choice should be there. As an outlander, your character should not be stuck with the choice of learning every proper skill and being competitive or do what he likes to do.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well I tend to not read threads that degenerate into mud slinging fests. Someone makes some statement assuming a thread will be closed.. the thread fails to degenerate and doesn't get closed.

Yes they will get locked if people start getting disrespectful.. seen those happen quite a bit but it's never for the reasons people say they'll get closed for. ie critical game feedback or unpopular opinion.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

oh THAT guy.. yeah that scene was the single biggest reasons I lost interest in that show.. there were others but that particular clip was the last straw for me. Completely off topic but.. I just could never RP a guy like that. And the less said the better.. moving on. :)

Hornpipe likes this.
  9. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I agree with you. But I think that our current debate is far from those considerations. I'm ok with flexibility, but there should be a downside with flexibility as well. Actualy, there is not. It's quite the contrary.

Stundorn likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The down side, in theory (my opinion) ought to be diminishing gains based on total skills overall rather than confined to individual skill. One skill not effecting the difficulty in learning the next (after a certain point) is a major problem in my opinion.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

You can fix that easily. Let everyone learn what they want. You'll keep some freedom for players. But ensure that skills can't be used with each other easily. This way, there is no point in investing experience, for exemple, with every healing buff while you can only use one at once. There are many other solutions to this situation.

Stundorn likes this.
  12. Rennik

Rennik Avatar

While i am not a full-time in-game roleplayer, I play my character as I originally intended: He's a ranger (bow and arrows) with enough support magic to keep him alive. I agree with @Bowen Bloodgood that the idea of roleplay is about how you as a player decide to choose your skills and interact with others in the game world. And I have played enough of this game (Adv Level 80) to know what I can fight alone and when I'm going to need help. That would be the same even if I was a REAL archer and was going out on a hunt: don't choose to fight a foe that you have no chance of defeating. Choose to learn the best skills for personal survival, and fight in a way that keeps you as safe as possible while reaping the greatest reward.

Also, in my opinion (for what that's worth), having a completely classless system is far better for in-depth roleplay, as you are not limited by a character class. Just like real life, you choose those skills that suit you best. Being forced into a template completely limits the possibilities a character has for growth. If a person chooses a pre-determined class, then decides twenty levels later that they'd like to try something else... they can't.

It's not a solution for SotA, but may games have separate game servers for roleplayers, PvP'ers, and PvE'ers. And even these solutions are not infallible: people will still log into a roleplaying server with the character name "XxX_PhatLewt_XxX"... hardly immersive roleplaying.

All that to say: the game itself isn't (and shouldn't be) what creates roleplay... it's the person playing the character that does that. We can't make other people roleplay with us, but that doesn't mean we can't roleplay all the same. My 2 gold pieces... :p

Rada Torment, Stundorn, Mac2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm not quite sure I follow what you mean here. My solution is to start implementing diminishing skill gains on all skills after about 1000 or 1500 skill points (actual numbers may vary). You're not restricted but it provides an effective soft cap and you won't have hardcore players GMing a half dozen skills in a day's work.

Bankee likes this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I’m not limiting more point to flexibility. My point also includes the belief that not all builds should be considered equal.

If you want to role play you might be limited to your role.

Sounds obvious but it’s often we seen threads about “my role play should be able to be self sufficient” (paraphrased)

15. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Hosting a danceparty is not roleplaying. Crafting stories of intrigue or adventure is... Best case your game supports that by mechanics. I never was a roleplayer, but the way UO was designed I was a logical part of the world in which EVERYONE was a part in. Next I found myself part of Yew's City council to spy on the local guilds and sell this information to another guild because they wanted to raid their PVE parties. Things like that just do not happen in SotA :/

16. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Hosting a dance party can most certainly be role playing.

17. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

I guess this documents the state of roleplaying in Shroud :)

18. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Depends on the host party, how it is organised and who is attending to it, I guess. People can certainly role play normaly in a dance party.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Only if you've a narrow field of view... I said it most certainly CAN be roleplaying, I didn't say that that is the extent of roleplaying. Role playing is... as the name implies... Playing a Role... and the role one plays is entirely up to the individual... If you wish to be in your life in New Britannia, the dance-master of Yew, then you can play that role and be fulfilled.

If you wish to be Rennic the Huntsman, you can adopt that role and choose Archery and Taming and perhaps a little Earth and Life and play that role.
    If you wish to be a Cleric, choose Life and Water and play that role.
    Etc., ad nauseum... As others have stated and I agree with Role Playing is enhanced by the open system we have, where people can choose those skills that enhance and fit the role they wish to play...
    I also don't see Competition being part of Role Play... Competition implies Victory Conditions. What are the Victory Conditions of Role Play?

The arguments around Classless softcap and Classless capped and Class systems is not Role Play, but Competitive Play Balancing.

Even if I had GM in 30 skills... I can Play the Role of whatever is required in a party by adjusting my deck and contributing to the party those skills, even if I'm not making use of the entire depth and breadth of my available skills at that time.
    This ties into the other thread complaining that having multiple Fire Mages in a single party is inefficient... To me this is a Positive... Parties should be most efficient when they have a range of skills being used, and not just multiples of the same.

Mac2 likes this.
  20. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

I feel the same way. Being pushed into a role because of an archetype class I chose is not my cup of tea either. I for one started off as a fighter and then moved to mage/fighter and sometimes just mage. My character has evolved and made my RP more interesting as its not always the same William doing the same things. He has changed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.