Very sad not to be able to do a shot with the devs on telethon goals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

I miss all the good stuff.

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Meh, it's not that big of a deal one way or the other.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The desire to control other actions is really bizarre to me

Malimn, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Mac2 like this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Not one drop til you guys get that framerate up to sustained 90 FPS in Rifts End.
    Suck it Miners? Suck it Atos. :p
    Yeah I'm for bribing Baby Spears to break her dad's heart until the framerate is awesome.

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I don't judge a business by if they drink or not, I judge them by can they do their job. Some of the best framers and carpenters I have seen drink, some of the best welders too. One of the best chefs in the world likes to drink while he cooks. You can also see crappy work come from people that do not drink or anything, you also see crappy work come from those who do drink and good work come from people who don't. Maybe just maybe, some people are good at what they do and some people are not, and it has nothing to do with if they drink or not.

Rada Torment and Ristra like this.
  6. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

Dilly Dilly

Mykll and Budner like this.
  7. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

I don't think anyone had an issue with people who drink or drinking in general. I believe the argument was that drinking at work or drinking to the point of intoxication while representing an organization at a regular event was at best not a good look, probably closer to unethical or destructive.

8. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It's a pretty obvious business decision. No one has ever passed on buying a game because the developers didn't drink enough.

Nelzie and 3devious like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Ahem... well... lol I mean I don't care if its not alcohol...

And children also don't suddenly start binge drinking because they saw some people having fun in an online telethon :p Dunno what world you guys live in but kids see much worse... around here it looks like this :

[​IMG]

How much worse can it get ?!

Here we have gentlemen, who read books, have a culture.

And we'll run down the hall screaming apocalypse because folks who work hard get intoxicated once a month ?!

Oh !!! Imagine what the children...

BZZT ! REALITY CHECK.

Cordelayne, Budner and Mac2 like this.
  10. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I'm downing a whole bottle of whiskey. Judge me!

Cordelayne, Barugon and Mac2 like this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

[​IMG] @Berek won't be offended if you mod that one :p

Valor, idaniod and Mac2 like this.
  12. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

This thread shows why mankind is ridiculous :D:D

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL. I still read books... on my phone. :eek: :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

I'd like to eat my cake and still have it, tyvm.

Also context is important people. You wouldn't want your surgeon to be drunk during an operation but you'd most likely be ok with an actor or musician and/or not notice their intoxication level.

Intoxication mixed with Q&A type of sessions like deep dives was a disaster. We'd regularly get incorrect answers, misunderstanding the question and giving off topic answers, abruptly ended thoughts before coming to crucial info, missed Jiras etc.

While I thought it fun and somewhat appropriate for sessions with celebrations and shenanigans.

So I wouldn't mind if they have a 4h session where the first three is sober info and the last 1h had the celebration and non-serious entertainment with shots. (That way they can cut and resume the stream for the PG13 stuff so that they can be properly labeled and only those who wish partake would follow that part).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats a compromise I can live with... :)

In our LARP communities its badly seen that the organizers would drink while the event is going on, in fact drugs and alcohol were banned because of the intensity of roleplay and physical fights...

But if the scenario wasn't built on cases of beer... and the after party sober, we probably would have looked elsewhere.

When you have only a short time to spend with artists and builders you admire, you like when something brings their emotion to the surface, so that time spent is authentic, human, intense and with less inhibitions.

Thats how you get to know and appreciate people who generally work behind the scenes...

Spoon likes this.
  16. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

It doesn't matter where you are from. The modern conservative movement isn't limited to just the borders of one nation. There's a good deal of shared language and policy ideas that are being spread across many nations in an attempt to create a kind of global cohesiveness to divisive politics. Really, this is getting far off track.

The devs choosing to no longer take shots during the telethon, while a sad loss to many, is a public relations decision and more of a seeking positive optics, rather than potentially giving investors (of which I am one) as well as current and future business partners the idea that they are an unprofessional group. (Even if many development teams are big on having a few shots here and there at times of celebration.)

It's got nothing to do with Political Correctness. It's business optics, more than anything else.

LoneStranger likes this.
  17. LoneWerewolf

LoneWerewolf Guest

Just do shots without them They seem drunk either way ;)

3devious, Ice Queen and Cordelayne like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

That is a strange statement, of course it matters where you are from. Context is always important. This since most regions and countries would have their own history of how the term Political Correctness has been used in their public sphere. Let's pick some random extremes like North Korea, Uzbekistan and Thailand where the public discussion would be completely different and thus the use of the term Political Correctness and rants against it would have very little correlation to your "modern conservative movement" regardless of whether that would be global or not.

For instance over here in Sweden it is more about anti-establishment and as such I hear/see more rants against Political Correctness from voters of the Social Democrats than any other party while the politicians of that same party would be on the other end promoting it.
    You would find such local quirks and contradictions pretty much anywhere you go if you look close enough.

19. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Yes, I agree.
    You were the one to start an argument on what political correctness originally meant.
    I think I've established, that this is not the fact. Originally it meant conformity
    Please stop associating me with politics you disagree with just because you don't like me.
    Yes it probably is, the argument was why this decision is made.
    And it's probably made because they need to conform to social standards imposed upon them either by percieved ethics or fear of insulting someone.
    A thing that becomes more and more common all in the name of political correctness and respect.
    I understand this decision fully.
    I do not blame them anything, I blame us. Society has become over sensitive and we loose sight of real problems.

The nice country, that @Spoon comes from, even invented a new word for when you don't know the sex of someone, so you won't accidentally use the wrong sex when referring to them by (him/her).
    I feel that this is really just misunderstood respect and efforts could have been made elsewhere to gain male/female equality.

Here's one of you so called modern conservatives (not an american btw, and 'living in 1984' is a literature reference)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Mac2 likes this.
  20. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

What annoys me is how it seemed as though only one member of the forums really felt that having alcohol as part of the celebration was bad form, with several more prominent members reasonably disagreeing. Yet Port still ended up catering to the minority, which to me is even worse form considering this is crowdfunded.

By Tor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.