SwordMage any tipps ? :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by holzpapa, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holzpapa

holzpapa Avatar

hi there, i wanted to make some kind of sword and wand wielding battle mage, which stats and armor should i pick, is it wise to mix leather and cloth or just go with one ? and should my prior stats be int and dex or do i also need str for the sword ? or maybe someone have some tipps for me :) thanks in advance

Nelzie likes this.
  2. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

I went with leather, given that you will be toe to toe a lot. Stats I recommend keep em even - I've pushed mine to 70 for all 3. You will need all 3 with this build. Early on build up your speed and offensive ranged magic, as you will be kiting and whiddlign down a lot as you build up defense and offensive skills to whiddle them down quicker toe to toe. Being fast is critical I found. There a a ton of passives that I had to build up for this to work so it's not the fastest character to build but I alway had a blast and can easily solo skull 5 zones now (currently level 71). good luck!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    Nelzie and Numa like this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i just added blades to my build and am exactly what you want - 1h Blade with a Wand in offhand.

i wear full set of cloth - just for the look, its more important than numbers to me :p
    But what i can say is that you would benefit from all 3 Stats and all Stat Buffs (Sun= Int, Earth=Str, Air=Dex)
    Train all three Dex in the Suberfuge, Str in Tactics and Int in Focus Tree.

I sure would concentrate on Focus, you need Focus for everything sword and magic skills.
    Unfortuneately its recommended to branch out into all magic trees for beeing more restitant.
    but you should focus on only some trees imho - i dont like it, and i havent spent xp in to all magic trees, but it will help of course.

tips in general are maybe: save reagencies by more using T1 or T2 Spells than the costy oney from T3 and above.
    Air had (or still have?) the most expensive Damage skills, but Mobs drop more gold than in earlier releases.

there are sure more ant better tips, maybe some other can help you @Mac @Andartianna @kaeshiva @Hornpipe,
    just the 4 i remember from the latest discussions :p

edit
    HoT's, Dodge (if you go cloth), Douse, Iceshield, Fortify Defense are your friends.

Nelzie, Numa, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  4. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

Personally I would go chain since the bonus from heavy armor strength is quite a lot and will help you swords a ton. The chain will also allow you to use most of the spells with fairly low fizzle. You can stack that with defensive stance/ fortify/glancing/ death shield and you should find you can kill almost anything with nominal heals.

Bankee, Sara Dreygon and Numa like this.
  5. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Chain chest rest cotton (Carp for crit damage bonus) max out heavy armor skills

6. holzpapa

holzpapa Avatar

thanks for all the respond guys it helped me alot

Hunter Rose likes this.
  7. holzpapa

holzpapa Avatar

btw i just saw that staffs and wands now also do hit damage, does the this dmg get an bonus with int ? or is it just like every other mace weapon ?

8. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

I can try to help you if you want. My name is Ribald Hornpipe in Novia. Just add me to your friendlist after sending me your name with a PM here.

Cordelayne and Bankee like this.
  9. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

A very deadly sword build ive thought about uses fire. Leveling Rend, trip, immolation, ignite weapon, flame fist, thrust, poisoning as attacking skills. This will allow you to wuickly stack up to 11-12 strong dots on multiple targets

Nelzie and Hunter Rose like this.
  10. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

hmm. poison :)

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Numa

Numa Avatar

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Shard_of_Night

Since you're going into blades, there is an artifact called the Shard of Night that reduces fizzle rate and has bonuses for the Moon magic tree. I use this dagger in my offhand and a sword for my right. The Offhand attack skill in the strategy tree allows you to use your left hand weapon for additional attacks.

Cordelayne likes this.
  12. Sway

Sway Avatar

my tip.. drop the swords lol
    sorry that is all I have. I no nothing about swords

belijaal likes this.
  13. Sway

Sway Avatar

but yea poison deadly for damage and festering to prevent healing(witch is more important at times)

Nelzie likes this.
  14. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

If you care about efficiency at all don't use hybrid builds in pve. If roleplaying is your thing you can definately make a sword/wand build work.

Could help you out with set of fustian cloth if you need gear. Just add beli jaal in game.

15. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

does festering poison prevent water ele's to heal themself?
    and where does the recipe maybe drop?

16. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

Festering poison doesn't prevent healing, it reduces the effciency of the heal by 15% per stack (3 stacks max). Daggers and spears increase that percentage to up to 30% per stack while using double dagger/spear. The healing modifier debuff has been capped at -75% though i believe.

The recipe drops from high level mobs. I got it from mages in the rise. The price for the recipe dropped to 60k or less, so its a lot more affordable now.

Stundorn likes this.
  17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

i have a shard of night, but dont use it all the time, cannot fight in the Rise, still training on skills, but began to use to Poison my sword from time to time.
    Want to try to do a troll with sword, fire and shard of night with posion, but not ready yet, need some skills at 80 first. Adv Lvl 77.

18. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

Sounds good, with that set up you'd get a 3x 22,5% = 66,5 % healing modifier debuff from poison and with access to rend you'd get another 15% (3x5%). So you would reach the cap.
    I could make you some festering poison if you get the mats which are cheap and easy to get.

3 Poisons= 3 Rotting Flesh, 5 Nightshade, 3 Empty Flasks

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

good to know and thanks, but want to do it on my own ;)
    figuring out if normal posion will damage the troll - dont know, just that he is resistant against almost all magic, except fire.

20. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

Other poisons will damage him too.

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.