POLL: Is there a problem with not enough restrictions on opposing skill trees?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Cebrimal, Jul 12, 2017.

?

Does there need to be more measures to prevent leveling up two opposing skill trees?

1. Yes

48 vote(s)
    45.7%
  2. No

57 vote(s)
    54.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

The greater the variety of glyphs one can use, the more creative and more fun it is.

Lord Ravnos and Elirion like this.
  2. Elirion

Elirion Avatar

I don't think they should limit our ability to level multiple skills of magic but I see where using multiple schools of magic at the same time might be a balance problem. How about making it detrimental to use a water skill for a certain amount of time after using a fire skill, for example. It is done already with Tap Soul from the death tree. If you use Tap Soul you get a debuff to life spells for a certain amount of time. If done correctly, this would make using opposing skills in the same deck less useful.

Lord Ravnos, Numa and Cebrimal like this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Without commenting on pro/cons of opposing attunements, this really isn't the same thing.

When you level up swords AND archery AND pole-arms, you cannot use all the skills in each tree, you are restricted for the most part to the weapon you are currently holding and would need to swap to a different deck to do so. When you level up heavy armor and light armor you still can only use one tree.

When you level up water and fire and air and earth and all the other trees you can use all the trees simultaneously.

I'm not saying we should have negative attunement, just that your comparison is not quite the same.

Hornpipe, Sean Silverfoot and Numa like this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

I agree - there should at least be some delay or longer cooldown when a predominantly Ice/Water mage uses a complex Fire spell for example.

5. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

It was not tested in depth enough, it was not tested with the Wards that came later. Yeah, sure, the wards do not work right now (tested again last night and will bug report soon), but they are the counter to this. People whined about the system instead of working to fix a great mechanic.

Ravicus Domdred and Numa like this.
  6. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

It seems like the Devs want to take the resist/immunity route to make mobs harder which will force people to take opposing trees.

Numa likes this.
  7. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

I can see this system of unlimited gm's and exp in the offline mode, but how can you balance this in the online mode? The perception is very bad about pvp and people thinking they have a chance. Again the unlimited is perfect for an rpg/offline mode. But caps of some sort are needed for balance in the online. We need classes, not classless to promote parties or guilds to have fun with a role, dependent on others, to be needed, not just arbitrary being there and being bored to death.

Stundorn likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

Good insight. I'm going to try the Kiln cistern quest soon so I better level up my earth arrow asap.

9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

They dont get it and therefore they dont want it.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/make-multiplayer-interesting.94813/

Bob Kelso2 and Creb Darkenie like this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's a pretty ugly insult.
    We get what you want. We just do not share your idea of the game.
    Deal with it.

11. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

I am an individual. I see the results of a very small poll. It is statistically tied however 22/26. I do not see either side having advantage.

12. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

As a counter/bonus aspect where doing a master polearm attack has a bonus against archers or master archery has a bonus against sword users, it very much does apply regardless of the need to actually equip one thing over the other. Likewise, it would make it so when you switch from your master skills to the new skills you are leveling up, you are not as talented in those skills due to the time dedicated to the other skills, so you get the equivalent of the negative attunement. As I said, I don't think we should have them, but to only apply it to one style of play is inherently unfair.

13. kottonkandy

kottonkandy Avatar

Skill caps need to be in place on the multi-player server, at least for crafting. otherwise their is no incentive for a player driven economy. As far as combat goes the pvp loot system is broken, full loot will create economy and more players. Karma system would be great, and full loot stealing (extra skills for possible disarm/stealing weapons) would be great.

*side note, taming is way off. animals should have base levels and maintain that level after taming, and gain skill/stats from using said pet (possible skill/stat caps). Crafting better tiers of collars allows for higher level pets to be tamed (iron 0-19, copper 20-49, bronze 50-59, silver 60-79, ect.. or however the numbers fall, same with whistles for controlling pets.) All of this increases economy and incentive to play.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  14. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

It's fun to explore and experience all facets of this game.

15. Tsumo2

Tsumo2 Avatar

"Opposing trees" is a myth of lessor mages.

Barugon likes this.
  16. Earl Atogrim von Draken

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Things that do not die mean things are unresolved. There is a reason and a purpose and until it is answered it will not be resolved.

18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yes. Well. In your opinion maybe ;-)

jammaplaya likes this.
  19. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Actually, every study ever made points to the fact that the more restrictive your confines are, the more creative you get. :)

And I would like to see some restrictions or perhaps bonuses to using some trees together which in turn gives you a sort of restriction when not combining these correctly.
    Because I believe that this will foster greater creativity in play styles, and perhaps help nurse some of the "pure builds" as well (there seems to be a few that find these paramount).

EDIT: Oh god, got lured into a necroed thread... geez! really gotta start looking at dates

20. Bob Kelso2

Bob Kelso2 Avatar

Not enough share your view on the game I'm afraid. Just curious if what stundorn said is a pretty ugly insult then how do people talk where you live? :D

Stundorn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.