Congrats on Launch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

I just heard launch is in March. It has been a long journey and I am hoping all goes well. I hope to see a big increase in population over the next few months.

Congrats Port on making it this far.

2. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

well, today its march....

in march it will be december : )

3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Launch dates often get revised many times - with a planned day 1 patch, content moved to DLC because it wouldn’t fit on disc, etc — In this case - PRT seems to always meet their scheduled dates - I have no doubt they will follow suit with this one. If not, they will keep us updated with info I’m sure.

4. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

How many coto's do you want to bet? Launch is delayed to after March

5. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Is it technically launch? They note that its the first "release candidate" which does not necessarily mean "full release" right?

6. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

I thought release candidates were for testing purposes? I think your right @2112Starman i dont believe its a production release, official release, post persistence, whatever you want to call it. Have to love the creativity in the terms used for SOTA. Ambiguous and potentially misleading not sure if thats intentional or not.

Anyway if someone official could weigh in on if this will be an official release?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    Cream2 and Alexander like this.
  7. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

250 CotO says it launches on Tuesday March 27, 2018 with release 52 as scheduled.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Gregg247, Rhiannon and Cream2 like this.
  8. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

if it truly is a launch which were waiting on confirmation of, then i look forward to seeing if all the things they have been trying to get right over the last 3 years can be done in time to launch in March. 90 days to flesh everything out.... unless theyve been holding some fixes back i cant say i have a lot of confidence.

Cordelayne and TheBalance like this.
  9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I could go up from there if 250 is insufficient, Cream2.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Rhiannon and Astor Cerberus like this.
  10. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@Cream2, I'm here to take your bet... Have you reconsidered your position, or are you unwilling to back up your proposal with action? I believe the colloquial phrase is "Put your money where your mouth is."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  11. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

@Rufus D`Asperdi im happy to bet you on a offical release / launch aka episode 1 is considered fully published and the next goal is episode 2.

This is what all this fake hype is announcing.

But you seem to want to set the bar bar to a monthly "PATCH" being scaled up to a news worthy "launch"

Here's a link to further understand that, whatever happens port will redefine what they've said and label it a win
    https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudofth...that_commercial_release_has_been_declared_by/

12. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

So are you taking the bet or not? Or just weasel on the definition of Launch?
    Tuesday, March 27th, the game officially launches commercially.

Rhiannon likes this.
  13. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Dude? weasel? That's exactly what your doing by redfining "commercial launch" as patch # blah blah blah

Yes, ill take that bet. Completed feature finished Sota Episode 1, official commercial launch. Publicly Stated by Portlarium on their home page, Actually happens in March.

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Since neither of you agree on the other's definition I'd advice against any bet between.

While if you do agree on the definition I'd be willing to act as arbiter and custodian of the crowns until March.

If either decline to put the crowns with a custodian I'd say that the bet is off and that side loses the moral grounds since they are not willing to bet in good faith.

Leelu likes this.
  15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

This I agree with, and will go so far as to state the day... Tuesday the 27th.
    Is open for interpretation and a basis for weasel room.
    I would accept this, though it wouldn't be necessary from my side. I can transfer the funds (250 Gold CotO) in-game on @Cream2's acceptance of the terms of the bet without the ill defined phrase.

16. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

I hope everyone realizes, there is no chance of winning or losing this bet. Port will "redefine" what it considers a release. Beta cannot even be fully claimed by a staff member, and now we are jumping straight to commercial release in March?

17. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

The naysayers are not naysaying on faulty grounds; here's why:

Darkstarr announced a candidate launch date for March 27th, 2018 (Release 52), explaining further that we are "planning to launch out of Early Access".

Taking a look at that, there are two (2) non fixed, conditional ideas being pushed forward: a) that the launch is a "candidate", and b) that the matter of this already uncertain candidacy for launch is "planned", as in not set in stone but subject to change. If a more certain expression were to have been meant, it would have been given; that, or Darkstarr plays willy nilly w/ the Queen's english. Knowing that the herald of chaos chooses his words carefully, it is fair to say the wiggle room his statement allows is his intention.

When questioned re the term "candidate launch", Barek clarified that:

Interestingly, "markety words" are shunned for phrases coined in a mint of ambiguity. Well, not so ambiguous: there is a similar term used in agile development which is Release Candidate, and it means: A release candidate (RC), also known as "going silver", is a beta version with potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. Well, that's that.

But wait: there's more. There is expected (and promised) content not to be included in the proposed Episode 1, March 27th (Release 52) candidate launch. This leaves a window post candidate launch/ Early Access ending which will run through until this content is completed (we also know Episode 2 will not be discussed until such a time as this content is delivered, per Darkstarr). This window allows for the possibility of other launches in name only, if you get the idea (a Beta or Gamma launch comes to mind; maybe a Scooby Doo launch? certainly an Episode 1 Complete launch to eventually cap it all off, something this March 27th version will not be).

To the benefit of Portalarium, Barek did say this will be "commercial release". Time will tell, but it seems like a lot of hodgepodgery and seeming smoke and mirrors where something straightforward should be.

TL; DR: The SotA community is excited around the idea of a "launch"; the devs are fully aware of this, whetting the appetites of the gamers and benefitting from their excitement and anticipation while meaning something potentially different.

majoria70 likes this.
  18. zeme

zeme Avatar

You're getting in the way of the bet! Let's see those CotO's roll!

Release is defined as: "Literally everybody freaking out and congratulating Portalarium on release"

19. Tetsu Nevara

Tetsu Nevara Avatar

@Berek when will you guys start advertising, now that we are close before release. 3 Month is a short time

20. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

*sits in my most comfortable chair to watch and wishes I had popcorn*
    *Makes plans to get my shops fully stocked with lots and lots of extra inventory for all the new and returning shoppers*
    *am really glad I've been popping in every day to save up my xp so I can get my skills up for the purpose of exploring the story for the first time*
    *knows that my "companions" will actually be my guildmates but I'd rather give them the gold for their protection anyway*
    *am feeling really grateful that I have supported the team since day one and am amazed at what we have considering the entire team is around 30 people*
    *feels it's not fair to compare this game to Skyrim that had up to 500 people working on it and it still took five years to complete*
    *am proud to have met a bunch of the team and @Lord British and feel I have backed the right horse (even if I have to wait for E2 to GET that horse*

Leelu and CatherineRose like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.