Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

I think this has been asked about for over 3 years.

Discussion in 'Release 49 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Could we please get a time out feature for the decoration mode?

Use Case: I have to move something in my home. I switch on decoration mode, I move it. I then move on with my life and do things. I craft, I walk around, I train skills, WHOOPS! I just moved the practice dummy 10 feet. That's annoying. I forgot I had decoration mode still on.

I go back to training. I craft. I make an item and put it on the wall as a trophy, I turn back on decoration mode so I can position it correctly. I decide it's time to go out and kill stuff to earn XP. I go outside of my home, I walk to the gate, WHOOPS! I just moved the gate while trying to open it.
    GOOD GOD THAT'S ANNOYING!

Everyday for 3 years this happens at least once. It's painful. So we make bug reports, we give feedback, we ask in telethons and dev hang outs. "Please could we fix this?"

Aldo, FrostII and Barugon like this.
  2. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

You can map the Deco Mode toggle to a key (I have mine mapped to backslash).
    When I want to move some things, I hit backslash.
    When I'm done, I hit backslash again.

3. Drocis the Devious

I'm aware of that. I also have deco mode mapped to a key, that's not the point.

It's very easy to forget what mode you're in and then accidentally move stuff (chests, doors, walls) and it's very annoying. If we had the ability to set a timer for deco mode (like after you're in deco mode for 1 minute, have it switch back automatically to non-deco mode) that would be great! I don't really mind switching to deco mode when I need to move something, but I absolutely hate it when I forget that it's still on and it forces me to recenter something or completely stop what I was doing, close out of everything and let the game catch up to the fact that I don't actually want to move a chest I just want to open it.

FrostII and Barugon like this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

I'd rather that first there was some on-screen indicator that you were in decoration mode that you could secondarily use to toggle it on and off by clicking it like a switch. I don't think hiding Toggle Decoration Mode in a list of settings in the Options window is very newbie friendly in the first place. It would also take care of people not realizing they were in decoration mode.

Personally, I also still think the game would benefit from cursors looking different depending on what you were doing. I'm not sure the color tints are helpful enough for new users.

But I think moving the toggle to a visible on-screen UI would help more than anything.

zyxe, Elnoth and Rowell like this.
  5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

My only problem with a time limit is if I'm going to spend an hour re-decorating my lot and I have to fight with the system because it turns off deco mode every 5 minutes. Spend an hour decorating, that's 12 times I have to turn it back on.

zyxe, FrostII and Elnoth like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

I'd prefer if you could set the timer yourself or have options you could pick from. (i.e. one use, 30 seconds, 2 min, 5 min, 1 hour, 4 hours, forever).

FrostII likes this.
  7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

+1

FrostII likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

They should make the housing UI always on-screen when in decorating mode. That way, it would at least be very obvious.

zyxe likes this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

BTW, here's the answer I got (yet again) in the R48 postmortem Q&A:

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

The time-out should reset every time you move something. I still don't really like the idea.

Since I don't normally use deco mode, I bind it to a key (control-keypad-plus) and make sure to leave it off. If I find it on, I turn it off. Putting it on a hard key combo makes it hard to turn on by accident.

For me the annoyance is what it does to dragging items out of chests. Anything that can be placed only drags one at a time, no matter how big the stack.

Second is when I double-click on a chest, and the inherent wobble of the mouse from the momentum of the click makes it try to move the chest. Then it gives me an error saying I can't open the chest because it's being moved.

11. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I sympathize with the OP. My workaround is that when I forget, and accidentally pick something up I have gotten pretty quick recognizing the problem and do not let go of my mouse button. I continue to move the object till it turns red (indicating an area it can't be placed) then release the mouse button. The item snaps back to its original position. It is so difficult to get these points understood. Thanks for taking the point on this.

12. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

O M G
    Once again I find myself in complete agreement with the Baron...
    Maybe put a big square over on the right that's noticeable (red), that can be clicked to disable deco mode....
    Something hard to miss on your screen - would be better - I think - than any timer....
    Who knows how long we'll be in the mood to deco, not me for sure.....

13. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Yea, I do that also....
    But it's annoying as hell and certainly fixable.... ;)

Aldo likes this.
  14. zyxe

zyxe Avatar

I don't think there should be a timeout. It would be nice to have an option for a toggle to show up in your UI, like by the upper-right menu, to turn deco mode on and off easily and graphically without a need to bind it.

FrostII likes this.
  15. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Lmao. You people are funny. I play with deco on all the time and I have zero issues. Occationally I grab something by mistake but quickly realize the error and don't release until its red like the prior post said. This is clearly a first world problem...well I don't even know if I would go so far as to call it a problem. System is fine as is.. :) :) cheers y'all. :) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.