POT lag Unbearable

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Calan Caitin, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I don't know what was done during the last couple patches, but the lag in POTs is unbearable. I can only spend a short time in towns before I crash if it gets past the 94% loading in the first place. @Chris, I would rather deal with slower load times than deal with this.

2. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I would have to agree with this statement not sure why it has gotten worse but now even loading into the game is slower. I have to sit at the 94% spot for quite some time waiting for the game to load. It was faster for me in the previous patch.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

If you get past the 94% you get 4-5 fps with these specs below:

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5650 @ 2.67GHz (12) System RAM: 24566
    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti GPU RAM: 6048
    SotA.EarlyAccess.LIVE.Win.64.713.Date.12.15.17
    Area: Novia_R1_City_Soltown
    Area Display Name: Soltown
    Loc: (-60.0, 27.2, 56.0)
    Debug: Tm92aWFfUjFfQ2l0eV9Tb2x0b3dufHwoLTYwLjAxOSwgMjcuMTgzLCA1NS45NTkpfCgwLCAtMC45ODcsIDAsIDAuMTYyKXwxOTguODg3NHwyMC42MDQ0Nnw5LjM2NjgzNQ==

4. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

This needs to get fixed soon. This is not acceptable. I will take the 30 second load screens over the constant drop in performance like it is now.

5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It seems to me that the load time decrease (ie actual load screen) from a few releases ago has completely reverted back to where it was. Yet all of the awkward side effects of the "performance improvement" seem to remain - ie, you get through the initial load screen, but then stutter through town as deco/buildings load as you approach. There is a long delay, sometimes 10-20 seconds, for opening doors, walking onto lots, or downloading vendor inventories.

Personally, I'd rather sit at the load screen for a few more seconds and have it all pre-load, than have to wait to interact with every door, npc, etc. At least then I can tab out of the game and do something else while I wait. Now however it seems that we have both the long load screens back AND the waiting for vendors, doors, etc with the added bonus of sometimes not being able to load into a POT at all.

Bankee, FrostII and Innascual Inch like this.
  6. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

I am also experiencing these same liading/hitching/performance issues inside POT's

FrostII likes this.
  7. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Don't forget closing Sota too, I had to upgrade from a 750 apc to a 1500 because Sota takes so long to close now due to the power grid being a decaying failure. I find one can only Kill a program so many times before it corrupts. (at least in the past)

FrostII and Net like this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

While Alpha everything is accepptable :p

LiquidBlaze likes this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

agreed, seems to me hes just switching between making load times faster and frame rate faster each release. My load items have plummeted in the past few.

FrostII likes this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

Yeah this is super annoying I do not know any other program that takes so long to close.

Bob Kelso2 and FrostII like this.
  11. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

While this is true to an extent, things are meant to get better in Alpha. Something in these last patches went backwards as far as performance goes.

FrostII and Net like this.
  12. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I’m not seeing it. Seems to me there’s lesslag now than ever and I’m running on Fantastic setting. Computers a few years old now.

My Specs

Sempiternal Dragon likes this.
  13. ElMaximo

ElMaximo Avatar

I agree, several times when changing screens it seems to hang in the mid 90% complete and about once out of 3 or 4 I have to close out with task manager and re-start the game.

FrostII likes this.
  14. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

The reason it takes so long is they have a memory leak. So the longer you play the more of your systems ram it uses. When you do finally log out of the game your computer then needs to clear out that ram. That is why it takes so long to shut down.

majoria70, Numa and ElMaximo like this.
  15. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Hi all! We are currently aware of the POT lag and some instances of players getting stuck at 94% at the loading screen. JIRAs on our side have been created and we are looking into the issues now. We hope to get at least one more patch out for several things that were found over the weekend.

Numa, Rentier, Rada Torment and 5 others like this.
  16. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

I'm cancelling my subscription fee right now!

17. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Same here. The game is running better than ever.

18. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

We continue to look into this but we currently haven't seen any repro of it internally.

I just used the debug string to go to this exact location and direction and I'm on a much weaker video card and I get 30fps. Video card is an AMD RX460. About 2 years old and bottom of the line when I got it. It is so weak that it doesn't even use extra power and pulls it's power from the PCI slot. :/ Possibly tied to OS version or video card driver version?

I guess first thing is go back to that spot and try it again. I did do some cleanup on a few super expensive decos that were causing problems in Soltown to the point of spewing errors and and lagging people out. This might already be fixed for you.

majoria70 likes this.
  19. oplek

oplek Avatar

@Chris is there a way we can voluntarily opt into some kind of debug logging, so that if one of us runs into an issue we can send in the data?

20. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

That 4-5 fps wasn't at that location, sorry for the confusion. The location for the 4-5 was inside of my guilds PoT (Jade Valley)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.