Night Vision is too effective

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Vodalian, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KnownInGameAsGeorge

KnownInGameAsGeorge Avatar

Or if you could give the light source instructions like send it ahead or stay in place. At higher levels you could have multiple active at once maybe.

Something that makes the light spell more of a tool in itself with separate uses from night vision.

Stevvcash, Numa and Solazur like this.
  2. psteg

psteg Avatar

Here is a thought. If you don't like Night Vision then simply don't use it. Just because you don't like it does not give you the right to take it away from those that do. Gosh that took a lot of brain power to figure out!!

3. thunderballz

thunderballz Avatar

It's super effective at level 20, where I have it locked.

I like the effect, but would put more points into it if I could expand the color palette beyond green, or if I could more easily see harvesting nodes (maybe this is what survey skills are for).

There is currently no incentive, besides attunement, to invest in this skill, which I use as much as I can.

4. CatherineRose

CatherineRose Avatar

@Vodalian If the Night Vision worked less effective I would probably need to not play in the dark or in a cave or in a dungeon. I just can not see well enough to play when it is dark so I am very very grateful for Night Vision and the way it works.

When you have used it and don't need it anymore just right click on the little icon in the upper left hand corner of your screen and dismiss it.

I have noticed that my son in law very rarely uses Night Vision nor do several of my friends. They do not need it and so they do not use it except for special reasons such as being able to see invisible walls. Since I am the only one that can see when I am using it then it makes me be able to play. My friends do not need it so they just do not use it.

psteg likes this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think it would make more sense if the current night vision spell was a potion instead, with the tier 1 moon version being somehow not as good, but I'm not too worried about people being able to see where they're going being OP.

6. Lockey2

Lockey2 Avatar

Wow, night vision used to be so bad. Now I find it to be improved(not perfect but better). I agree with @psteg if you don't like it don't use it. Why is it that some peeps feel if they don't like something no one else should like/enjoy it. Novel thought. Don't use it. Wow. All too often with the light spell and Night's cloak etc. It will provide decent enough light, then we get a patch or release and it becomes HORRIBLE. I don't expect it to be like daylight but at least provide enough light to see by. Someone will post about the issue and there is that one person who thinks because they don't like it no one should enjoy it. Not going to say what I think of folks like this but..... yea. Remember not everyone has Uber-new computer/screens. So for some peeps what you consider perfect or too effective is unworkable for others. Not to mention that so many things are adjustable if you hit esc key and go to video, etc.

7. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

It's a nice thing. God knows we don't need more reasons to not like the game. More changes along the nice lines please.

Xandra7 likes this.
  8. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

So many other things need work before commercial launch. I wouldn't place this one near the top of the list.

psteg likes this.
  9. Numa

Numa Avatar

I would love the summoned wisp to have this kind of ability ;)

KnownInGameAsGeorge likes this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I just started using Night Vision because the buff visuals were blinding at night and I couldn't see a thing. I am very happy with Night Vision the way it is now. Please don't nerf it.

bigta1982 likes this.
  11. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Some mixed opinions here, and the majority seem to disagree with my original post. I do see the point of view that nerfing night vision would be an un-needed inconvenience to many, and I'm sure the devs won't make any rash decisions like that. But let me just explain my point of view a little bit more.

Some time ago I was exploring The Rise for the first time, by myself. It is a big dungeon full of dangerous enemies, and I felt a bit unsettled when I was "loading to my doom". But what happens when I turn on night vision? I can see everything from a mile away and decide my odds of killing it. The whole experience has a filter of unimersiveness. It feels more like a casual tour, "this room looks like this, this room looks like that" (except for colours).

Now, some people have brought up the point that I'm free to turn off night vision. That's true, but I was aware of this when I wrote the original post, and I still have the same opinion about the skill. A game is a series of challenges which you hande to the best of your abilities. All the tools given to me inside the game are part of it and I can't just pretend one doesn't exist. If I didn't use night vision, I would have probably died more times in The Rise, and not been able to venture as far. But I would have been happy, because I still accomplished something hard and if others handle it better that's because they are stronger and smarter. And I would have had more of an adventure.

Oh well, this is just one man's opinion and like some have pointed out, there are probably more urgent things to work on.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  12. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Avatar

I recall a long time ago that the devs were talking about how easy it is for a hacker to hack a graphics card and adjust the color pallette. Apparently it is quite easy to hack in something similar to night vision. I'm not personally knowledgeable with this technical know-how to be able to test it out, however if this is true then I am all for the ability of something similar being implemented in the game so we don't have to rely on hacks or hackers to have an advantage over us

13. The Sultry One

The Sultry One Avatar

Personally, I use night vision all of the time. I play a lot and it is ALWAYS dark it seems. I lose a lot of the beauty and when I notice it is day time shut it off. Any decrease in it would be a Nerf not balance. If immersion is what you want then don't use it period. Any other skill is useless for high end fighting so if your goal is to make the game LESS attractive to more players by all means make it crappy again. You have a choice, don't penalize the masses that have other things to do besides complain something actually works. My 2 cents.

Stevvcash likes this.
  14. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I really hate night vision and washing out the world in green, changing the colors of the monster names to blue etc. Hate it, hate it, hate it.
    Unfortunately, without it, I often can't see a thing at night - light spell or no - I navigate mostly by 'knowing where things are' and memory, and must always have all enemy names on because often the 'name tag' is the only thing I can see. This is at MAX brightness setting on both the game UI and monitor - and I've had this problem through different video card and monitor configurations. I find that by disabling shadows completely I am "kind of okay" but even in ourdoor scenes anything outside the paltry radius of the light spell is just total blackness.

Night Vision is kind of my only saving grace here, and I don't see any game-changing imbalancing reason to not just leave it alone...:X

Xandra7 likes this.
  15. Tila Tenderfoot

Tila Tenderfoot Avatar

The Rise is hard enough without Night Vision. The room with elven archers and obsidian wolves or the lich room, if you are really brave, will give you a nice immersion into the “doom.” Night Vision is an essential tool for those of us who, despite fancy monitors and maxed out graphics settings, cannot see what’s on screen in front of us, let alone from afar.

majoria70 likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There are times I use night vision and it has improved to be useful. I don't keep it on all the time but a friend of mine swears by it helping him to see where to go. His eyesight is not that good anymore so it's nice to have some thing that helps those who need it to play this game. Why take that away or inhibit the use of it? Some players need it.

17. Cryodacry

Cryodacry Avatar

ehh night vision has a huge drawback ... it's extremely hard to mine with it on.

18. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

I dont agree with OP. Leave it alone

19. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I always thought Night Sight looked like wearing Night Vision googles and I do not like it. I basically do not like how it changes the color of the game to greenish. That doesn't mean I want to see it removed from the game, I just would like to see it improved.

20. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I totally agree with the OP.

And no, the game is not too dark. Yes, it's pitch black in caves. Yes, the world only lit by candle and torch is very, very dark. Especially in wooded areas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.