Two ADV level 90's - dragon slaying difficult

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nikko, Dec 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

@Berek please close the thread if you could. It has simply turned into a battle of "we SHOULD be able to do this!" & "We SHOULDN'T be able to do this!" This is not what the point of my thread was really about, and this is no longer progressing.

Thank you, sir.

Sara Dreygon and Mac2 like this.
  2. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Rebalancing the power is one of the big issues that need to be solved.

Honestly I thought they reroll the CP point bug/exploit/glitch call it whatever... but I heard they only banned people who automated it.

But in the end it doesn't matter. The design and combat balance need to be changed and from my understanding Chris is working on it.
    I would prefer Chris changes the combat design so that actual decisions need to be made for my character development and everyone ends up with their own way of killing things or even make grouping necessary, rather than what we have now - just level everything and min/max every fight.

The only other way is a soft wipe, which would recalibrate the skillgain to make 200 the new normal and everyone would start a new race to level towards that.
    Add some more crafting tiers and all old stuff is without value.

I think they skills in itself are good like they are 100-150 is fine. And the curve is ok.
    The problem is too many skills :) And there mainly the resistance and attunement is an issue.

Pretty curious if we can get a sneak peak of what is going to change on the next telethon...

On the topic.. soloing a dragon should be normal if this is anything like UO ;)

Bankee and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

But in UO the dragons never had a balance pass, the tamed dragons eventually after a long time got stats and skills you could train, at that point in time they had skills and some AI. The dragons you found in the wild weren't skilled up, hence are easy kills.

In Ultima lore, as I've stated earlier, they were pretty much invincible.

In UO nowadays people eat ancient wyrms for breakfast... its ridiculous.

EA's UO is not Origin's Ultima, at all... they forgot alot of things that should have been changed.

4. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

U5 was my favorite Ultima, and I killed MANY a dragon. Sand Traps were my favorite though. I had SO much fun doing that. I guess this thread is doomed. Ugh...

Sir_Hemlock, Sara Dreygon and By Tor like this.
  5. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

All the Ultima games that I have played, dragons were easy to solo and great for money.

Sir_Hemlock and Sara Dreygon like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

(In U7, however, you could go to town on dragons by the end of the game, even without using the Forge of Virtue quests.)

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Whoops, snuck in there on me.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Please cite examples... I have drawn mine directly from the game books... and included quotes.

When you had the "ultimate weapon" I can see how they were easy to kill, most ultimas were designed like that. But during the game ? I replayed them not too long ago...

9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Isn't there a huge difference between repeatedly farming dragons in a single player game, which only impacts your world and soloing dragons in an MMO which impacts the economy and competitive balance of the world shared by multiple players?

Xandra7, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Weins201 like this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

WWWHHHHAAAATTTTT?

From what I have been told over and over it is not a big deal :confused:

Anyhow they where made harder because of this fact and other reasons, sadly one is that they where being soloed more and more.

the FIX is valid but again is not addressing the main problem just a band aid on an amputation.

11. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

That's what drop rates are for. The economy is screwed at the moment because there are no real sinks like War or Building efforts...

Sara Dreygon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  12. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Ultima 7 is an example. You can leave Trinsic and go straight to Britannia. There you can rob the bank and loot the alchemist. Buy some new weapons and armor and then travel south to Destard and pop a invis potion and kill a dragon.

13. Drocis the Devious

Unfortunately there are no drop rates for XP.

If I were in charge, I would ensure that if you found a great spot for adventure XP, it would be horrible for dropping loot and producer XP. There would always be one good reward lane and two bad reward lanes. This would make all players have to sacrifice their time somewhere. Unlike the dragon that gives great XP, great loot, and great producer XP.

There are a lot of reasons the economy is screwed up. Not just a lack of sinks. The largest problem that I see is that a few people have access to all the wealth in the game, and the more they grind the more access they have to that wealth. There's a real lack of game design that seems like it would be "easy" to fix, but it would upset this group of people (and they make up a significant amount of our active player base). So instead we get quick fixes that "don't take away anything" from the entitled players that seem to think the only way to have fun is to increase their levels.

An example of that would be thinking that two level 90 players should be able to kill a dragon by themselves. That doesn't seem like the worst idea in the world to me, but once we start to look at the impact that has on the economy and competitive balance, it becomes very clear that this type of play is ruining the game. Because if you allow two level 90 players to kill a dragon, then it's going to be a cake walk for a level 120 player. Which results in endless farming, endless increases in power, and endless wealth, and unlike a single player game, that's devastating to an MMO.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The comment was about Ultima lore. BTW the loot on the dragons in SOTA was not that good.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

So the economy is screwed up because people worked hard to get wealthy and the harder they work, the wealthier they get. hmmm

Mac2, Sara Dreygon and Nikko like this.
  16. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Assuming that "killing a dragon" isn't a 45 minute battle for two lvl 90 players every time, with about a 75-80% chance of dying and having to start over. I'm all for soloing the dragon, it just needs to be difficult enough that it can't be farmed.

17. Drocis the Devious

Grinding a lot using "best builds" is sometimes confused for working hard.

That's not really what's important here though. The fact that once you get to a certain point you can repeatedly print your own money by farming artifacts and other high end loot results in the rich getting richer. I don't think that's how a balance economy is supposed to work.

I believe that if our economy were really working well, you would have crafters that didn't fight at all selling finished goods to players that fought all the time. There wouldn't be people doing everything and getting rich off every aspect of the game simply because they grinded the most.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is a bug, U7 and on started to be more and more EA and less and less Origin... remember the platforming and all the changes to the combat and magic system people loved ?

It was a downward curve after that, even if I enjoyed U7 story, the game itself was already lacking and full of bugs.

19. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

The certain point is what? Being able to farm DRW? I was getting 10k gold/hr there and more artifact drops then I did farming the dragon. The first artifact that I received there was the Ring of Liche Kind... guess what instantly rich. That is called luck which is what most of the farming methods is all about. With that money I bought the Cabalist bow and resold it for 75k profit. That entry point was lucky but not crazy high. I have 42 artifacts on my vendor, 80% of them have been there for a month and all self found in The Rise which is another place easily farmed without the "best builds".

Mac2 likes this.
  20. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

That was not a bug. Plus someone already cited U5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.