How can I get hooked on this game?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stuntvisor, Jan 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Not only what stuntvisor doesn't like, but also why the friends left. Surely they said something when they gave up. Bonus points for allowing a critical post to stay unmoderated.

eli and 3devious like this.
  2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

When I get some time I'll make a post of why I keep coming. I might have to rely on EnvyCo for some creative support. No, it has nothing to do with trolling everyone here. lol.

Cordelayne and Solazur like this.
  3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Sometimes a troll is just a troll. The best thing to do with them is not feed them. Seriously...

How can I become addicted (as though that was a real goal) to chocolate ice cream? Or how about broccoli? I tried it 10x now.. and I just can't get an addiction going

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.

-John Lydgate

4. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Or maybe you should change the game. Nothing will change if you are unable to enjoy the game after 6 tries.

Elwyn likes this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

"You can please some people all the time.
    You can please everyone some of time.
    But you cannot please everyone all of the time."

Sean Silverfoot likes this.
  6. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Whomever said that never played Shroud!

Chatele, moxiepilot and Rada Torment like this.
  7. zeme

zeme Avatar

@stuntvisor Welcome to the game (for the 6th time yikes)!

The biggest suggestion I have for you is to join the Discord. http://sotawiki.net/sota/Shroud_of_the_Avatar_Discord_Chat

There are tons of people willing to help you in #general and #hospitallers-help. The biggest goal for a new player is to get all of your skills to 40. The Outskirts maps are big open areas designed for new players to run around endlessly to get their feet wet. Think of 40 as a baseline, it's 100% effectiveness. From there you decide on what you'll bring to 80, at 80 you get 5 glyphs for when you unlock your deck, along the way you should horde as much gold, experience, and commodities as possible.

The biggest thing to look out for is the right guild, don't join one that supports you out of pity, it's important to feel like you're truly making a difference and able to give back once you're empowered.

A lot of the endgame is bossing, hunting for artifacts, shopping, gathering, and crafting. The story is able to be done once you're able to take on mobs with ~400hp.

moxiepilot and Sara Dreygon like this.
  8. stuntvisor

stuntvisor Avatar

Sorry I'm sorry for the wait. I try explain with my bad english.
    First i think is not necessary have much answers be right but ok... Stundorn ragekid.
    When enter a new users it is very lost, for hours you can walk without knowing what to do. This game need a powerful tutorial and later i kill monster with my friends because we did not know what to do.
    When we kill different monster always is the shame ''Drop''
    I do not see that the game has that hook but i understand which is for different public.

moxiepilot, Numa, Solazur and 3 others like this.
  9. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Yeah - LoL with 13 evil likes :)

I think oldsql sandbox games aren't for you, maybe you expect more of a handholding themepark experience.
    I would agree this is not for the most gamers today, but we already have - to me unneccessary stuff like an implemented Map instead of the Maps we had before and sparkle waving NPC and a player Handbook, what i'm sure 99% of the people who ask for a tutorial beginning with explaining what WSAD is for don't read o_O
    Sorry, i'm just a ragekid :eek::D

You are spanisch? Then sorry i understand you are bad with english and appreciate you now try to express it more in Detail.

Whats bad is to just say it's bad and not why and to predict if it wont drastically change it will die soon.
    That's just not good.

10. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

If one has to ask that question, IMHO, they aren't understanding the basic idea of the game. That is to follow the paths of virtue and be judged. This isn't your normal sandbox/MMO/RPG. Only person that can answer that question is yourself.

Stundorn likes this.
  11. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

Actually I think it is entirely feasible to "please none of the people all the time" also, but with the diversity of subjective tastes it would actually be quite an achievement
    - sorry ooc and not related to this game either.

Back on track - there may be truth hidden in this thread despite the Troll labels.
    It seems that this is somewhat related to a first time experience / early gameplay, and if there is a drop off here, that should be looked into.

There should actually be a "hook" quite early in the game, something to achieve - to make you want to try more of the game untill you are ready to take the training wheels off and start making your own adventure.
    Not just because we will be dealing with a large population with low attention span that needs to be guided through consumption of every experience, but because many of us, even the ones who pride ourselves the ability to enjoy complex and non-handheld games often judge an experience quite early on.

If I ask myself :
    why is it that I watch one more episode of "insert studid series here" instead of going to bed
    why is it that I read one more chapter of "insert book title here" instead of getting ready for work
    etc....

It's because of a hook, a suspence, an unanswered question that becons me to come back.
    If there is no suspence, or the unanswered questions seems unimportant - chances are that I would not come back and read the next chapter, watch the next episode
    Or in this case feel the need to develop my character any further.

If there is no need to develop your character (and I'm not talking about skill points / level here) the meaning is lost, and there is just grinding gold/xp left - but to what end?
    Even grinding needs to be a means to an end - noone grinds just for the sake of grinding :)

So while many of us are already invested in this game - and have found our own meaning with it,
    and not denying that every game is not for everyone, we need to be able to assimilate and hold on to new members of the community.

12. stuntvisor

stuntvisor Avatar

this game sell as a successor Ultima online and It was a mistake, It has nothing to do with it.
    you have only played The park world xDDDDD no offense, but tutorial is not only WSAD, is the part more important for the user.
    You must show something powerful for people to play.
    I work in Genera Games (QA, analitics) and i see what attracts the public.
    This game with a good tutorial I would change a lot.

De 6 amigos jugando juntos toda la vida al ultima online... que no nos haya parecido atractivo el juego, es que algo está fallando y si no cambia puede morir, me remito a los numeros de players,.

majoria70 likes this.
  13. stuntvisor

stuntvisor Avatar

The bosses that can teach the analytics and they see in which part they left the game, but if you prefer this with a minimum of users.
    Things have changed a lot and you have to adapt if you need players.

majoria70 likes this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Just to say i was hooked from the very first Minute about atmosphere, Parser like NPC conversation, the old Maps and not have sotamap.org, the discovarable recipes, the light and atmosphere, the skills that were available and many more.
    Things changed, sone things looked better on the surface then they are now for me, but i'm still hooked.
    If one has not that feeling or cannot see it like this, then it's impossible to get that for him.
    I like rough and hardcore games.
    I disagree its a Roleplay game, sad so many people cannot see what Roleplaying is about, except striving for Numbers, levels, strength...
    I want a game without levels, all equal strong regarding gamemechanics, only playerskill counts with tons of fluff and possibilities to create adventures in a stunning, challenging, atmosphere, heavy lore related and dense like a black whole.

Astirian likes this.
  15. stuntvisor

stuntvisor Avatar

I would like to hear the response of some onwer and know what they think (Richard)

16. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Ummm, NO, it was in no way sold as the successor to Ultima Online. You need to reread the facts.

"Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”.

moxiepilot likes this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

This game must be salty and sweet ? :D

Cordelayne likes this.
  18. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

oh my - id like to have such problems :confused:
    but if you look like him, well :rolleyes:

19. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

That's why SotA must have more hairs styles :p

Joke aside, there is something interesting here : there is probably a bliss point with video games. A balance between what it takes vs what it gives. SotA is interesting because, unlike most other games, you don't get everything immediately. But new users can hardly get into this because almost nothing is affordable at their level (and I don't even refer to housing and taxes). And getting 3 gold coins and one rusty sword on each looted skeleton probably give a very bad feeling.

20. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I never accepted a date with a guy who had a stupid haircut. Now that I am old and married I don't let my husband get bad hairdo's. I know it's shallow but just like a woman won't stay with someone she doesn't like the natural smell of (yes, we can tell if a mate is unsuitable.) I am hoping that SotA can avoid giving potential players the "ick" otherwise it's going to be just us for a while. I will at least buy my fellow gamers beer if we go out, but that only goes so far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.