2 questions 'bout taming

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Stundorn, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Hej,

is there any hint for the timer/ coldown to recall a tamed pet?
    Leveling summon creature takes very long, i already tamed a Large Polar Bear and 2 Large Arctic Wolves, but cannot summon them :p

i'm just going to Braemar to visit bodan Koren to learn the Refresh skill what reduces this cooldown.

i know it's not that helpfull with taming, but i have to admit i love it to have a pet now :)

i don't know if i level further, my goal was to be able to have Polar Wolves and Bears in Galdsheim and to sell them maybe :eek:

Oh and what about healing and resurrecting - do i need this, because i can heal with my Life Spells, and some month ago i was also able to resurrect ones pet with the Life spell resurrection.
    so do i profit from the Taming heal/ rezz skill?

@Weins201 maybe???

2. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I have not used pets in quite a while (maybe 6 months or so) and I generally just use elemental summons now. But here is some general info about the taming tree skills:

Heal Creature: Not really needed as a heal skill if you already have the life heals... but is more efficient at healing tamed pets than the life heals. Plus, the added benefit of getting this skill is that most other Taming skill trees can gain experience (if set to "Training") just by using this skill. So, you can build up a good pool of Adventure XP and then spam this skill to level up your other taming tree skills... I don't even think you need to have a pet out or targeted for this to work!

Resurrect Creature: I would say this is a must have if you plan to use tamed pets in combat. Yes, the other Resurrect spell does have a chance to rez the pet, but you need to be right next to the corpse to use it. With the taming tree rez, I think you just need to be in the zone and have yourself targeted for it to work. Much better option because they usually die in a tough area, or sometimes run off and you don't know where they went. With the short time allowed to rez a fallen tamed pet, this is a safer spell to use to get them back. Otherwise, you will likely not get near the corpse in time to use the Life tree rez spell.

Summoning: This is basically the skill that gets checked to see if you are able to summon creatures based on their level/difficulty. I would only raise this one until you have another pet that you can't summon yet.

Obedience: This one basically just helps keep your pet from running away when it is low on health. I would at least take this one to 40 to get Combat Training (under it). After that, just judge it based on whether your pet runs away a lot or not. Sometimes, having the pet run away early rather than staying and getting killed is a better option. Then again, if they run away somewhere and still die but you don't know where they are, that could be a bad thing unless you have Resurrect Creature.

Combat Training: This skill raises your pets level, which in turn raises it's health. This is good to make your pet stronger, but keep in mind that the higher you raise this skill, the more your focus penalty gets when having a tamed pet active.

Collar recovery: Not useful unless you are a tamer yourself. You can get pets from other players and don't need to tame them yourself, so many don't raise this skill much. Most will however raise it to at least 40 to get the 2 skills below it...

Concentration: This skill is a must to raise high IMO if you plan to use a pet often. It reduces the focus penalty of having a pet out. I recommend taking this to at least 80.

Refresh: This one just reduces the cooldown on when you can summon a pet. This used to be really great because every time you changed zones, the pet would unsummon. I believe they changed that recently though so that a tamed creature will follow you through zone changes. Either way, I would raise this skill as you feel the need. If you like to change pets for different situations or I'm wrong about them following you through zone changes... then you may want to bump this skill up to suit your needs.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Mykll likes this.
  3. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Does that mean if it fails the Pet is permadead?
    I'm roleplaying it, so i tame by myself.
    But question ahead.
    Why it already says 112% chance Collar recovery, but it's still loosing Collars when i fail to tame?
    How can it be more than 100% chance to save the Collar be broken?
    I assume the math is for something else, but it's not clear by the tooltip imho.
    Yes Pet follows in all zones, even with recall or teleport.
    When using a overland boat like
    Harvest -> Estgard or Aeri -> Etceter you need to teleport the pet via Pet command.
    Only tested for Estgard to Harvest, but i assume it's the same for all.
    Helped a lot, thank you.

Numa likes this.
  4. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I added replies in yellow in your quote above.

Stundorn likes this.
  5. Lasazarr

Lasazarr Avatar

There is an timer, in which you have to rez the Pet. If the timer runs out, the dead Pet is permadead.

6. Numa

Numa Avatar

@Stundorn ,

@Daxxe Diggler already gave excellent answers & responses to your questions so I'll just add my own perspective on things.

Heal/Resurrect Creature : I decided to forgo their equivalents in the Taming tree for the ff. reasons:

1. Life Heals & Resurrect work on both pets and party members so it unclutters your active/passive bars which have limited slots
    2. Yes, pet permadeath is painful since I get attached to my pets but it has taught me good lessons on how *not* to be careless or thoughtless on how I handle them. This also translates to my keeping a careful eye on my partymates when we go adventuring in a high level area.
    3. The best pets are bears & spiders since bears have bash and spider have web/poison. Both though are slower than I am (light armor + speed) so in crowded mob area where hit & run tactics are best I use wolves.

Casting Healing Grace on pet just before & during combat will compensate for the HP loss (typically a tamed pet has 50% of it's original HP). Other HOT(s) like Soothing rain also help. Healing Blast (can only be used on others) is very good for last ditch emergency heals. Fireflies on a target boosts pet ( and elemental) damage.

My RP rationale to handle pet permadeath is the guardian/allied spirits inside the old body migrate to the new pet once I have it :) And yes, I name them all.

Daxxe Diggler and Stundorn like this.
  7. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

@Numa - All good points there. Since you went into details on pet control and selection based on situations, I figured I'd add some tips of my own for this:

Get to know your pet hotkeys! Most of them are default bound to your numpad keys. If I remember correctly, only one of them isn't bound by default, and I think that is dismiss? Anyway, here is how I have mine set up:

1 - Pet Passive -- In this mode, your pet will not attack anything, even if you are being attacked. I rarely use this unless I'm running through an area where I don't want it to get aggro. Usually though, it's safer to just wait to you get there to summon the pet.
    2 - Pet Defensive -- In this mode, your pet will only attack something once it attacks you first. Good to use when you want the pet to help on your target and not drag in unwanted mobs.
    3 - Pet Aggressive -- In this mode, your pet will attack anything unfriendly within range. Good to use if you are grinding and don't want to worry about ordering it to attack something... or to simply aggro more mobs and bring them to you.
    4 - Pet Stay -- This does what it says, makes the pet stay at it's current location and not follow you around. Note, once the pet is in combat, it may roam away from that spot to follow or run from a mob.
    5 - Pet Follow -- This does what it says too, makes the pet follow you around. Again, when in combat, the pet may follow/run on it's own.
    6 - Pet Attack Target -- This command will cause the pet to switch it's current target to your current target, or simply to set them after a specific target.
    7 - Pet Dismiss -- This will unsummon your pet. If your pet is close to death, you can use this to save them and avoid having to rez them. So, if they are in trouble and about to die, it's probably your safest option to save them. Note though that you can't resummon the pet again until your summon skill cooldown is up, so you may have to wait to call it again.
    8 - Pet Teleport (to your location) -- This only works when you are out of combat, but will instantly teleport your pet to you. Great when your pet doesn't follow the same path that you do due to terrain or simply from being too slow, etc. I probably use this command the most!
    9 - Pet Stop attacking -- When in combat, you don't have the Teleport command option, so when your pet is in trouble but out of range of a heal, this is your best option. You may have to spam it because if a mob attacks it will defend itself and fight again... but when used the pet will stop attacking and try to either run to your location (if set to Follow) or to it's "Stay" location that you set for it. If while you spam this you (or a party member) can get aggro from the mob(s) attacking it before, it can lose aggro and begin to regen health.
    0 - Pet Patrol (I don't think this one does anything for combat pets, but I bound it here just in case it does some day.)

In general, I memorized the 1-2-3 row as setting the general behavior I want the pet to have. 4 I rarely use except to park the pet for specific things and 5 I only use to revert back from the 4 (stay) setting. 6 I use very often, either to change my pets current target to mine, or to get them to pull a mob for me. Note that you can use the Pet Attack command while you are out of combat, and once the pet gets aggro, you can use Pet Teleport and then spam 9 (Stop Attacking) so the mob comes to you in your preferred location. Once the mob is where you want to fight it, you can hit 6 again to have it help you kill it. Again, 7 is the "Oh Crap" button that you can use to save your pet if things go bad fast. 8 is Teleport and as I said, I use that very often, just to keep the pet from roaming around the wrong way or to keep up with me.

If you plan to use a tamed pet, I highly suggest you have these hotkeys (or your own preferred keybinds) so that these useful commands can help you succeed. Whatever layout you choose, make sure you memorize it and practice with it so that it becomes instinctual and your pet management will be much improved.

Numa likes this.
  8. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sorry I did not see this until now but looks like you got it all covered :)

Summoning Timer - There used to be a bug that allowed one to "Train" the Summon Skill but I am pretty sure it is fixed. It reall is not important anyhow since once you can summon it the timer is pretty much irrelevant. Just really needed it to raise the level to match the level of the pet - very poor mechanic.

The Commands - are well covered and yes USE the hot keys - the pet command hot keys are still broken and has been a known issue since before peristance but some day they might fix it.

Resurrection - if oyu fail just do it again you have 5 minutes from ANYWHERE in the scene - so if you got very overwhelmed just run away and res pet. If it is fairly close it will res in place and try and run to you, if it dies res again. If you are really far away it will telestorm to you and res at your feet.

Pet Healing - Still broken - you have to have the pet in range and LOS , it is still a little fluky. At least you cannot heal a person with it anymore. But need a pet cure and a lot more.

Pets are still a joke thow and just a niche to use - if oyu want it for RP GtG but for a fight just use a plain Spell Summons they are less Focus cost and more effective.

I will be happy to take you around to tame whatever I can but I am not up to a RFS yet, thow I could get a few who can to help I am sure.

I have GMed Tame, Combat COntrol, and Focus reduction and that appe4ars to have been a total waste of my efforrt :)

Stundorn likes this.
  9. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

The main 2 that increase pet effectiveness are Summoning and Combat Training. I don't have the link off hand, but someone posted a while back a spreadsheet/post about the skill level of both of those to max out a tamed ferocious red. Mine currently has 437 HP.

10. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

problem is, not everybody want to run with a spider.
    Simple as that if Taming is only efficient with a FRS than is not for me.
    System need to be adjusted to have all popular pets be viable and worth to have it with you while adventuring.

11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

How much focus does that take away?

12. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Going to jump in here and throw out some numbers for the FRS so others can compare.

501 HP
    Focus drain -326.9

115 Summoning
    113 Combat Training

Barugon and Numa like this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That's a huge hit.

Grimbone likes this.
  14. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

Yes, it is even worse when you are a heavy plate wearer like myself.

15. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I agree with you in regards to that. I've been hoping and praying that they come out with FRS equivalents at some point for each animal type.
    And now imagine it with the focus reduction skill :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.