Subscription Fee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cordelayne, Jan 10, 2018.

?

Would You Pay A Subscription Fee?

1. YES

38.3%
  2. NO

49.0%
  3. UNDECIDED

12.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Numa

Numa Avatar

If this voluntary subscription makes waking up at 5-6AM Saturday morning (time zones :) ) just to catch the telethon unecessary then I'm all for it.

Waxillium (Kvow) and Cordelayne like this.
  2. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Hell No! That would negate years of coto sales. Plus buying cotos for houses fees is leaps and bounds cheaper than as 15 dollar standard month mmorpg patron sub. Sure you suggested a 5 dollar fee but that just makes no sense.
    Lord British all the way, Darkstarr, total opposite in values

That
    sounds like diablo 3 all over again. People paying moneys for a stable gameplay system and for future releases those moneys mean Nothing!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    K1000 and Cordelayne like this.
  3. Andartianna

Andartianna Avatar

I'm not sure I understand what the difference is from what we have now then what you are describing as a optional subscription except that you are asking for $0.99 more then what it currently costs for 5 cotos and the telethon rewards. If you buy 5 Cotos on the telethon day it's $5.

MrBlight likes this.
  4. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I'm not averse to a monthly subscription provided that the subscription gives some benefit over just buying stuff from the shop normally - otherwise what's the point? Give me some subscriber convenience feature and I'm all over it.

5. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

So Portalarium can say something during a TELETHON, asking for more money from everyone, and yet nobody can talk about what they said here?

Disgruntled likes this.
  6. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

The more I think about this, the more I conclude that if Portalarium consider this something that the community view should have an important say in (and I can see reasons why they might not, since it's a significantly 'business' decision as well) the best thing would be to email out to all the people with a statement of what they are considering, and asking us to respond to the, since it's clear there is an awful lot of misunderstanding about what the term 'subscription' is meaning in this context and that's going to completely skew any polls or conversations we have here. Past experience suggests even a post from them explaining what's being thought about here is likely to get misread by many, or skimmed over and misunderstood, and what's worse will only actually be seen by a pretty small proportion of the community anyway.

Certainly we should discuss it, but first we need to make sure we're all discussing the same thing, and I think it's clear that is not exactly the case just now....

Jens_T, LoneStranger and Cordelayne like this.
  7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Im planning on making a bon fire with mine :)
    And no dont want to give them away I want my bon fire i bought 4 years ago.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They would be a reminder not to trust Kickstarter announcements anymore ;) And I hope to get some kind of nostalgic Ultima feeling from it like with the old boxes.

Pickley and Mykll like this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I spent a lot of money during the Kickstarter. Probably not as much as most but way more than I ever have on any game.

During that Kickstarter I repeated pointed out an auto payment method should be available. As I don’t do impulse buying and I don’t allow myself to be nickle and dimed.

I haven’t spent a penny since and I won’t. The only way I ever will is with some form of auto payment.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think my biggest problem with all this is the S-word. "Autopay" sounds a lot more optional than the S-word.

At least film it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_Foundation_Burn_a_Million_Quid

Atrocious Humanity likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

First part of the battle is getting rid of the phobia and stigma. Calling it a subscription brings assumptions.

I’d prefer the term stipend because it conveys the need for the cost to cover a standard quality of life in game.

Meaning that if there is a stipend it should be the standard for how much “game” people get for an expected monetary value. Not required but a baseline a person might expect to spend.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

To me this supports the argument against a fee based system. Essentially it becomes a pay to play environment.

Everybody buys the game. Anybody who pays a monthly fee gets more stuff- advantage - fee based user. So what fun is that to give part of the population an advantage over other players?

The second part is that you state the monthly fee maintains the standard quality of life in the game. Well, if the game cannot maintain the standard then why is it getting launched?

Standard should be based on them creating content and advertizing that brings in users to support their company, with further development of the planned 5 scenes. The standard should not be maintained and based based on a select group of users which everyone profits from

Ice Queen and Mykll like this.
  13. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Assuming I get them, I'm sceptical... Otherwise it's a promise :) would never burn a million tho haha ty for link.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

What advantage does a Snowdragon confer on the recipient?

Elwyn likes this.
  15. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Coolness. B)

What I'm advocating is that it might not always be limited to decoration. One day it could be armor sets or equivalent.

I saw that somewhere once ;)

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Port has been making every effort that "store" gear is not going to be good armor or weapons, and telethon gear follows this as well. That is why they have patterns now, you can take the cool look of a store/telethon item and apply it to decent gear. (I'd still test salvaging telethon gear in QA first to make sure I get a pattern, before doing it in Live.)

17. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Dont forget the recent @DarkStarr gear :)
    Any player made anything close to it yet?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Its hard for me to really say, as I suck at economics. I want the devs to be paid for their product! I dont want to do anything that detracts from telethons, but I also want them to have a predictable and accountable source of income. Id like to say that I would both pay $6 a month (F-the whole 0.99 crap, just add a friggin' penny), and donate to Add-On store/telethons, but I fear some players would just pay the fee and never donate again.

Im all for whatever keeps the game funded. I donate $20 to my UO server every month (though playing is 100% free!) because I am passionate about it and have no interest in spending that money on other games. If SotA keeps moving in a good direction, id pay that price for SotA, but I think it would turn off most new players, so nope :-/.

I think SotA is gonna need to generate a similar level of passion from the incoming new player base before a monthly price tag is attached.

Cordelayne likes this.
  19. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

They have included both armor and weapons in the past, and even in the most recent telethon, though that goal wasn't achieved, and the stats on those armor pieces, and those of the weapons that've also been granted as stretch goal rewards are no better than the basic starter gear.
    They confer no advantage other that 'cool' as you put it, as they can be salvaged to produce a Pattern which can be applied to an actually valuable player crafted piece of gear to confer on that gear the Appearance of the stretch goal reward.

I see no indication that Portalarium, with now years of history, is likely to change their practices and sell items that will grant actual advantage in PvE or PvP.

Elwyn likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What makes you think this isn’t a pay to play game?

The game isn’t requiring a stipend to play it. The player is getting a stipend to do the Extra things we already pay to do as extra. If you don’t do those extra things then you don’t spend money as it is. If you do, this auto payment does it in a once a month payment form.

The key here is all store items need to be extra and I’m not trying to turn this topic into that debate. If that’s your intent then you are on your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.