Taming in the next 75 Days, is a Ranger going to be a viable template ???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Weins201, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There is an entire skill tree that is just rotting, I know I could have removed for 100% returns but, why?

Simple question, Episode one is not the right answer :-(

This is a very important skill to many of the people who actually play the game.

I do not need a dragon that can walk into a scene and kill everything BUT my tamed Pet who takes 4 - 8 GM skills from Skills to Innate to use viably and fully should really at least me MUCH more powerful than a tier 5 Summoned Elemental PERIOD.

Now I can see a close fight between an Ele from a mage who has 500 Attunement (Laughable what that trait is also) and is GM in the summoning of a tier 5 and sure if is in opposition to its Element GtG. But in the end a FRS, (the highest ATM) tamed and with GM in Summoning, Taming, Combat, Concentration should be one of the toughest critters out there.

I here all the time "why do you want yo punish me for how much effort I put into my 100 GMs . . . " - - - So why are you punishing me for working / playing / and finally GMing 4 skill in ONE tree?

((BTW I only have 3 Gmed I will not waste any more in Summoning until it is actually needed . . . .) maybe I will who knows when bored)

2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Episode 5?

Elwyn, Gia2, LastChance and 1 other person like this.
  3. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Agreed. Taming has always been my favorite skill in UO and what I looked forward to most in Sota.

Please figure it out.

FrostII, LastChance and MrBlight like this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Have to agree... favorite skill/feature as well...

modify remplate :p

5. Thorgred

Thorgred Avatar

Lets see how many of the broken and unfinished skills they can fix until release.

6. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Yeah, its a bummer but sadly the tamed pets at the moment aren't even worth sacrificing the necklace slot for the damage they do. Then, they certainly aren't worth the loss in focus.
    I think if you removed both of these penalties completely (ie find some non-necklace using way to summon the pet) and completely eliminated the focus penalty, it MIGHT be worth having out.
    You still have to keep an eye on it, rez it when it walks into lava, heal it, and keep it from doing something stupid. So even with no penalties, I don't think it would be worth the damage it does.
    I've really wanted to like taming, and I've been trying really hard to find some way to make it work, but most things I fight I've got nearly dead by the time my pet moseys over and decides to participate - and even then, it does an impressive 8 damage.

I appreciate its a difficult balancing act for the devs, because of the way our skill system works, if they make them 'too good' then everyone will feel obligated to use one.
    I remember pre-persistence doing control points in a full group and EVERYONE had one of those spiders - because back then, they were pretty good.
    I think linking the 'goodness' of the pet to the investment of taming related skills, was a step in the right direction, but the skills do far too little to increase the efficacy of the pet.

There is simply no reason to lower the tamed pets health to a fraction of its wild counterpart. The pets do nearly no damage and do not hold aggro - there's no reason to make them squishy as well.

I think we need to take a step back and decide what role is taming supposed to serve?

If it is supposed to be supplemental damage, then the skills need to be reworked to make the damage better
    If its supposed to be a main damage tree, then they need to be significantly reworked to make the damage significantly better.
    Are the pets supposed to add versatility? Then pet AI needs to be reworked so your bear can tank, your wolf can cause bleed, spiders and corpions poison, etc. And the pet needs a little skill bar that lets you activate these things.
    Are they supposed to be novelty/fun things only? If so, then the xp to raise the tree needs to be reduced to about 25% across the board.

So that's the first step, figure out what role you want taming to fill, then balance accordingly. At the moment, the only role it seems to be filling is 'novelty' which is a shame.

Astirian, FrostII, Bow Vale and 2 others like this.
  7. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Strength of pet should not rely on pet, but on skill.
    Free choice of pets please.
    If a FRS is the only one worth it in late levels, then thank you not interested.

Mykll likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Your point is well made, @Weins201 ;)
    I've seen it come up countless times in the past year, with virtually zero response from Port. :confused:
    Sad.......:(

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Maybe we should ask Remplatestiltskin :D

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Maybe it is because I never used pets before they got „nerved“ or it is because my level is just around 72 but at least for my avatar a pet is a valuable companion. For my avatar it is a lot easier to survive and kill enemies with a helping pet instead of doing it solo.
    But of course with adventure level 90+ this might look different and if it is indeed a problem I still think the best solution would be if the pets (and maybe also elementals) would have their own adventure levels and skill trees (additionally to the skill tree for our avatars) as this way the pet could stay a strong companion no matter how strong your avatar is as it’s strength is growing alike to our avatars strength...but I think too that it is difficult balancing act for the devs to make pets not too strong and not too weak.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Have to disagree.
    Remove taming and shift all focus to conjuration which is the much more awsome skill/pet thingy anyway :p

Jokes aside: just fix both. Soon. Please.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Nelzie like this.
  12. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Seems like all they have to do is have the strength of your pet increase with your Taming and combat modification. Summoning is just a weird skill.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Pets should all be about giving you a unique benefit that comes at a steep price that makes you actually want to think about it and make tactical decisions as to what pet to use.

I also think taming in UO was pretty terrible for what it's worth. It was completely useless and incredibly grindy until all of a sudden you can tame a dragon and become the most powerful PvE build that basically everyone has to do to be competitive as tamed dragons are now what everything is balanced around. PvE became nothing but sending your pet dragons in to attack.

Fister Magee and Nelzie like this.
  14. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

I am not much of a tamer and probably wont be one if they make it great. I do hope they make it really good since I have lots of friends that love taming.

15. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

If they let us tame all those horses and start allowing horse mounts... I'll start looking at Taming.

Maybe I'll start looking at taming anyway.

16. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Taming is terrible.. not fun, not ballanced, too punishing and a huge waste of skill points.

One example of imballance:
    Plate wearer 600 total focus -305 leaves 295 focus to play with.

Cloth wearer 975 total focus -305 leaves 670 focus to play with -still viable.

Water Elemental pet -80 focus (healing pet)

Best just to roll water elemental if not that then the lich (heavy hitter)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    Nelzie likes this.
  17. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Never said a pet is not valuable but if you are truly doing better with a pet and it helps that much you would do much better with a Summons in the field of magic you use. I very much doubt any player at this point is not in one or more Spell Fields.

Any summons at any level EVEN level 10, is better for you than a pet. You will use exponentialy less focus to cast and the loss is 1/2 - 1/4. The Damage done by them is equivalent. The ONLY one I find that has any benefit as a pet is a spider with poison and webbing. Summons, the water ele heals you. Air Sun Water are range fighter for you, Ice Earth are mele for you.

Sadly that is the problem - it is not tha pets can help but they are so weak compared to a plain old summons that requires 1/10 of the training to have out and 1/2 - 14 the focus cost.

you only have ot be able to cast the Summons once achieve you could leave it a level 1 and get same effect (basically) as a level 100 - PATHETIC.

18. eli

eli Avatar

yea i have the skills for fero reds, which took a lot of XP. but 100% of the time I use the sun and water summons instead. Even though I have 1100 focus, the penalties just aren't worth it compared to the summons. I can wear a warlock necklace, I get to keep my focus, I don't have to follow it and heal/resurrect it, i get ranged attacks, i can dismiss it so it won't draw adds, then summon it again without a ridiculous cooldown. Oh yea, and the dps is the same.

I would appreciate it if any pre-release changes were announced prior to r50, as i intend to turn it all down... but can't get back all those hours of standing still and getting attacked by obsidian bears.

FrostII and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yup..

Taming is good for mid level players who are not strong enough for t4 or t5 once those areas become easy pets with the exception of the extremely low punishing summoned ones arnt worth it.

20. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I don't like comparing summons and tamed creatures cause summoned ones are always perceived as better, tho they are just awful as well. I remember Port saying they didn't want summons and tamed pets to be alike tho to me they seem to function very much the same. My suggestion (dead horsze) is to make summons more like in UO and something that actually feels like it belongs in T5 not T0.5.
    (I wasnt a big fan of summons in UO I think they need to be way better, not stronger perhaps but new technology and all that)

I heard that levels will be coming to tameds? If so I assume they get active commands on can use as well which would make them more fun and need more control so it's not a must for all, sounds well and all but.......
    If it will make it in pre "launch" hahahaha no... I'd bet it's 16 telethons away before any of us will see a taming system worth mentioning, pure speculation on my part but........
    Been here too long for faith at this point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.