Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Love the look of the wolf hats except the blood

Discussion in 'Release 50 QA Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jan 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Pelts usually don't go on our heads with the blood still attached.

2. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Wellllll depends..... No, you are right of course ^^

3. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

I agree - I don't like the reddish edges of the new wolf hat. Not only are they very distasteful and make me even more adverse to wearing it (I do because of the buffs) they make the hat look like it isn't well crafted.

In addition, the wolf head looks more like a faithful friendly dog than a ferocious wolf, which makes me feel even worse about wearing the hat. The old wolf hat had glaring yellow eyes that made me not feel too sorry for it. Similar feedback was given by @Deathadder in a post about the mounted wolf heads looking "friendly" https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-wolves-mounted-heads.107999/

4. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Looks like the wolf hats are a BLOODY MESS :) some pun here .... couldn't resist .... yea I could, had to say it any hows ... :rolleyes::p;):):D

Sara Dreygon and Black Tortoise like this.
  5. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Pls no blood on hats (unless its part of a dynamic combat effect system and the mobs I hack apart are bleeding on me, and I can clean the blood off when finished). Blood as a default texture to such a default item comes off a bit immature to me.

Tamsen, Nikko and Chatele like this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Isn't the idea that the hats are made by barbarians who fashion their gear from bits of totem animals? It may be a retcon of sorts, but it's perfectly in keeping with the feral theme.

Caree Death and Alley Oop like this.
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Thats kind of what I meant, actually. Firstly, recognize that the word "barbarian" essentially came from a racist, cultural-ethnocentric viewpoint that "...anything not Roman should either become Roman or die in genocide." And since history from that time period was mostly written by said ethnocentric culture, the so-called "barbarians" are always depicted as savage, unintelligent, squalor-ridden idiots. The truth is the opposite, and in many ways, so-called barbarians were far more humanized, intelligent, and rational (though their histories have not survived well). I recommend Tacitus as a good starting point for recognizing this ignorance and hypocrisy. Nothing was more terrifying to Roman culture than "barbarians" who can not be subjugated, thus, they must be regarded as inferior and stupid.

I dont believe Wolf Cultists would literally take a raw wolf head and wear it, mainly due to hundreds of thousands of years of human culture recognizing that diseases do arise from decaying flesh. I do believe so-called "barbarians" were expert "taxidermists", who would have absolutely cleaned, preserved, and decorated the perceived source of their strength and power. Especially since the technology to do so existed before Homo Sapiens, and thus existed long before these cultures left their evidences around.

The obsession is harmony with Nature, not mindless bloodshed, though the latter part is far more entertaining to the children of Roman ethnocentrism ;).

Therefore the blood on the wolf hats is as insulting to my ancestors as is the typically accepted, flawed, and inaccurate portrayal of iron/classical aged germanic and celtic peoples. ;-). A few extraordinary germanic peoples did indeed live in the woods and worshipped bears or wolves, and this actually happened all across the Earth at some point, always being a minority group though. Its simply a matter of biology that the carcasses and heads worn by these animal-worshipers would be cleaned, preserved, and free of bio-matter that can be consumed by micro organisms. Warriors diddnt wear rotted decaying flesh, they wore preserved animal skins. So its insulting to their culture and the general portrayal of peoples from these time periods to think theyre so dumb as to not recognize the consequences of interacting with Nature in this way. Again, its the contrary - their knowledge of Nature, biological processes, and general ability to harmonize with the contingency of the wild is far, far greater than any civilized sap can comprehend. And as a result of this disparity, these peoples are pushed into a place in history which regards them as brutish, dumb, and unenlightened (I suppose people find it safer to behold when the subject is demeaned, belittled, and rendered incomprehensible).

Im not actually getting my underpants all bunched up by this, just trying to help people understand that "blood as a default texture" appeals to the mindless 12-year-old in us. This is a very common historical inaccuracy, and ancient "wolf-hat wearers" would have most likely been just as grossed out by the bloody hat as you are.

Tamsen, Nikko, Elnoth and 2 others like this.
  8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

My can't evens can't even.

9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

You can't actually leave the blood on, as the furs have to be worked in some sort of a liquid, which will wash off the blood. So that's a raw head, not a hat, if it still has blood on it. It should come with flies.

Tamsen and DJ Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  10. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

I see a Halloween hat in your description, especially the 'flies' part. I'll take 2!

11. mass

mass Avatar

"What? I have zero points in tanning. Give me a break."

Nikko and Sara Dreygon like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

That's why your wolf head as a hat still has blood on it. :p

mass likes this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

That's what I'm saying. Cut those barbarian noobs some slack until they level up a bit.

Barugon likes this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think the players would be the noobs. Honestly, how many of us from the Outland can tan a hide? If you're living out there and clothed in them, you're probably pretty proficient at it.

mass likes this.
  15. mass

mass Avatar

Sorry, I was just trying to make joke.

My value priority in posts is probably different than most. I value them in this order:
    1. It was funny and made me laugh.
    2. It was interesting and provocative.
    3. It contained valuable information.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  16. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

It's hard to be a text comedian. Nobody gets the point. :D

mass likes this.
  17. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are going to fix it

Illiara, Tamsen, Nikko and 6 others like this.
  18. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A round of huzzah's!

Tamsen likes this.
  19. eli

eli Avatar

A round of sadness from me :( i really loved the brutal look

20. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Perhaps if you use a Pristine wolf or bear head, it has a cleaned look, but normal heads have the blood...?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.