remove deck swapping or at least make it a very long duration

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jan 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Please remove this - buff deck tactics are lame - deck swapping pvp including gear while in combat in less than 3 seconds is also lame.

Remove it entirely or make it only available out of combat and with a 1 minute timer and 1 minute cooldown.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Gorthyn like this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Stundorn....

You should be able to switch between a sword and a bow in combat and much less than 1 min. Yer just sheathing then pulling out. Swapping held items is great. (And frankly I think NPCs should do it to -- I want to see a cornered elf archer pull out a shortsword or dagger). Forcing "pure archer" or "pure close combat" is nuts.

But I still agree for wearables, that its okay to prohibit swapping armor, shoes, etc while in combat.

As for buff tactics, I don't really care if people want to go through the trouble of dling this (though I don't).

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Saying that something is "lame" does not effectively get your point across. Also, I fully disagree with you.

4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Every piece of gear that is different on your alternate deck adds swap time.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, I know... I just see no point of swapping armor in combat and you can do it by accident even by accidentially having different armor linked to your alt deck... then you have to exit combat to edit decks.... and this is all a pain.

My opinion :
    - Disable wearable swapping in combat mode. Quick swap in combat mode would just ignore linked wearables.
    - Disable dragging to paperdoll in combat mode.
    - Disable repairs on paperdoll in combat mode.
    - Make swapping time for held items quick.

Rentier and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Easier to just unlink the equipment on your alternate deck.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not easier after you're in combat in the middle of battle. It will also sometimes link to broken equipment... And its just silly the game makes you go through all that when switching armor in battle doesn't make sense in the first place.

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

(And if you have time to deckswap armor, you have time to exit combat mode anyway)

9. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

nah, it is fine.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  10. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

In this case, and wrt to "fun to most" vs. "this makes more sense", actually, I would like to take this request as an counter-example to support a proposal for another strategy: just give players some slack and don't over-regulate, please?

To your point, it makes no sense - yes, as does carrying 300 stones, weightless gold coins, or for that matter being an Avatar.
    • Decay - in general
    • MAY skill any tree equally (aka class-less system) actually meaning MUST learn various trees (e.g. for innates such as resist elements or glyphs such as avoid)
    • boost attunement by just grind-up correspinding skills you do not want to use actually...
    ... this are already significants thresholds that are straining the patience of the player base.

In contrast, some suspension of disblieve wrt changing to one alternative deck in a sec is a-okay for me. I would rather focus on more fun than more annoyance from my humble point of view.

Just my 2c

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@wahooka

Who are you replying to... Since Im the only one who mentioned something doesnt make sense... The way the deck swapping currently works has been an annoyance to me on many occasions, as I explained patiently.

I don't see the point of the meta-discussion, anyway.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. Emso Boydon

Too meta - okay. Typically, it is easier to work deictic than by thesis or problem statement (e.g. illustrating context, problem & proposal from scratch in a dedicated thread).

Yes, I took the easy way. I am to blame for that. Nevertheless...

Let me summarize: Please don't adopt the proposed change. The reasoning behind my answer is illustrated in my previous post.

13. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

My Avatar wears rip away leather armor....

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Spoon like this.
  14. eli

eli Avatar

The delay is actually quite long already if you swap an entire armor set.

I only swap 2 slots in pvp. Any more would leave you very vulnerable.

Additionally, you are penalized by losing all of your drawn glyphs.

A single deck will always be more efficient, so you're not really being penalized.

But more importantly: deck swapping contributes a dynamic playstyle which is required to deal with a variety of enemies and also allows more compelling decision-making.

Spoon likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

@wahooka

What are your thoughts on restricting in-combat mode swaps of armor only, with the goals of,

- Preventing accidental swaps of armor in the middle of combat if your second deck is unintentionally linked to a different set of armor. Currently, since you can't modify decks in combat mode, this can be a big pain to deal with. You have to exit combat mode and reconfigure your decks to get it to work right, then go back into combat.
    - Removing the current system where the more gear you're swapping, the longer it takes, in favor of a short, almost instant swap time. The time-additive system is based on the idea you might be swapping an entire set of gear, but if you're just swapping what you have in your hands, its not really necessary.

With the understanding that ,
    - If you're going to be swapping an entire set of gear, you currently have a long timer, so have enough time to exit combat anyway.
    - Yea, and it does make more sense the other way. It doesn't hurt when what makes sense matches up with what works well for a fun game.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  16. Emso Boydon

oPersonally, I have no problem with accidental swaps. If I forget to restock reagents and am out of black pearls - that was my oversight. If I did not update my deck and associated equip - that was my oversight. So I take 5 min to prepare everything, repair some, re-stock, check decks, visit devotionals and am ready to go after 10 min.

Creating a multi-factor system to calculate my swap time just adds more time to most steps and results in an inconvenience in-field Please note that typically, most "not handeld" I change is attunment based + instruments. Removing myself from battle, change, regen (beause, who wouldn't), go in again - would simply eat time and annoy me. While it makes more sense to me, prsonally, it would not add to my perception of fun, personally. Also - there will be another mechanic introduced that adds to maintenance and balance time. But most portantly - what problem would it solve (next to - maybe, I am nt convinced it does - mitigating some of the effects a not well maintained deck set causes)?

17. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I like it as is. The only thing I use it for is the buffs (air’s embrace, strength of earth, enlightenment). I buff up, switch to combat deck, and go. About 20 or so minutes later I look for a lull in the fighting, switch decks and rebuff. Can’t do it in combat, but I wouldn’t like it to take any longer - you never know who will come around the corner while you’re buffing up.

Barugon likes this.
  18. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Lol... I installed Velcro on my plate armor also.

19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think deck swapping is mostly fine and I enjoy the convenience of it. The main thing that I don't like about it is that buffs don't care about what you're wearing, only what you were wearing when you cast them, so you can quite easily have the buffs of a wizard with the gear of a warrior. I've always thought that it would be much better if instead of fizzle, armor had a dampening effect on magic effectiveness that could retroactively apply to buffs. Obviously it's pretty late in the game for those kind of changes, but maybe there are more practical ways to achieve the same thing.

Spoon likes this.
  20. Sea Hunter

Sea Hunter Avatar

Let er be!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.