Our subreddit has new moderation!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ben_Hroth, Jan 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I've heard that certain people may or may not be certain other people.

But, I try not to put too much thought into such things.

Congrats to the sub and best wishes moving forward!

Sempiternal Dragon and Freeman like this.
  2. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Right, but talking about the Seed Invest AMA and "our" reddit page, while not talking about the official, can be misleading. I see the posts in both places at times, and this "our" page isn't all rainbows either. Probably because it is not under Portalarium's direct moderation control.

3. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Agreed. You probably shouldn't have initiated it with your first post then eh?

But anyways.

Congrats to the new Mod

Mykll likes this.
  4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

WOW, you folks just don't stop. Folks are entitled to their opinions, here, there and everywhere. They don't always need a response agreeing or disagreeing.

**shakes head and walks away**

5. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Just to clarify, I was referring to SeeedInvest only because at the time of that AMA the Devs were suggesting a stronger presence on Reddit (Starr started his very first Reddit account, Chris started a new Portalarium-only account, Berek indicated at some point it would be a more active channel for communication, and originally the AMA was scheduled for the /r/shroudoftheavatar subreddit, not the /r/SOTA_official one.)

As with any due diligence, folks interested in joining our community and game are looking mainly for the (non rainbow) opinions of players rather than business-biased opinions of folks like the Devs. Visiting /r/shroudoftheavatar vs /r/SOTA_Official would likely quickly point the typical redditor to the former rather than the latter.

Personally I don't go to /r/SOTA_Official (or /r/shroudoftheavatar_raw) since I am mainly looking for the latest tips on gameplay and trying to help new community prospects.

Spoon, mass and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Of course I can't stop. Trolling is my favorite thing about the game sometimes. I love trolling BDF but he seems to have gotten bored with all of us. Now it'm going to have to learn how to play the game now since I'm out of material. :(

Fister Magee likes this.
  7. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

What's a Reddit?

Freeman, Barugon and 3devious like this.
  8. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I thought BDF was quietly trying to sell off most his assets? Or was that just something that was said but not true? ( honest question )

9. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I hope not. Everyone gives him a hard time but I am just screwing around. Every now and then people just need a break. Maybe he's just lying low to come out and give us smackdowns with walls of text!

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Bow Vale and Cordelayne like this.
  10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's like a Rabbit, only dirtier.

Freeman and hroth like this.
  11. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Funniest line in the thread.

Anyway, yes. I've taken over the subreddit.

My initial goal is to get it reigned in and keep in on the topic of the game and it's development. Some people will like the game, some people won't, but I want to get rid of the internet drama that seems to dominate the sub right now, and get it back on track. I'm hoping for the best.

If you read my history, you'll see I'm not the biggest fan of how the game is turning out, but I am fascinated by it's development process and glad there are people who can enjoy it. I'm not going to shield the game from critique in the sub, but I'm also not going to let people drown out positive things just because they're unhappy.

So if you use Reddit, and want to talk about Shroud there, please come by, say hi, and join us!

hroth, Kpopgurl, Preachyr and 6 others like this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Long time no see ! :)

I wonder who the biggest fan of how its turning out is :p

13. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

oh... just checked out the reddit... no downvotes... well... it's very easy to get around it... just go to the redditor's profile and downvote or upvote it there...

I guess it's the same reddit... positive things get downvoted down to hell and negative things are upvoted... just my initial impression as of this moment... :)

14. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

someone posted what he thought was the best part of the game and asked others about what they think is the best part and got downvoted 100%... don't think it deserves the downvotes... he's just starting a positive discussion... same old... reddit... still my initial impression... :)

Duke Gréagóir and 2112Starman like this.
  15. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Yep. Working on this. I've been there basically for this weekend, and so a lot of the old stuff is still under old rules and lack of moderation. I know removing the down vote button (which started last night) won't 'fix' it completely, but I hope it slows it down, or at least gets people to think "why am I doing this?".

Yep. This is a huge problem. Right now I'm hearing from the people there they don't understand why it's an issue, and how it discourages people from posting. It's going to be a slog to get this sub into something productive for everyone.

16. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Honestly, speaking as someone who had a thread started by someone else and titled with his Avatar name (and that was since removed, but which I took screen shots of), it is best to do ONE simple thing on that subreddit:

Do not feed the trolls.

I think going there and answering questions is fine, but going there to discuss anything, just as anywhere else on the internet, is truly just a waste of your time.

Once again, save time, don't feed trolls.

hroth and Freeman like this.
  17. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

See. And i downvoted it because i disagreed with the answer he gave.
    I in turn upvoted a few answers that felt closer to what i had enjoyed.

Im not seeing the issue with people down/up voting based on their opinion on the answer or comment. Thats kinda the point. Had he elaborated or made a convincing case for his answer, i woulsnt have upvoted but i wouldnt have downvoted either.

Dont know why people are now worried about a safe place where people can only agree with me!

If you want a forum that activly moderates to keep everyone postive and agreeing, theres an easier place to comment.

If the mod is scared comments are going to get downvoted, and wants to mod based on that, then all the powrr to him, people who dont want that will post elsewhere.

Mykll likes this.
  18. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

Indeed they will. I think ShroudOfTheAvatar_Raw is a great place for really light to not moderated content.

We don't need two forums doing the same thing.

Mostly, I hope to turn downvotes back on again, and hopefully soon. But I need to broker some kind of peace between people who like the game, and people who hate the game from downvoting each other as people over the content they post. I've asked everyone who doesn't like my solution for a way to get that done, because I'm not a huge fan of it either, but I also can't leave the status quo and expect the sub to last the month. So.... any suggestions?

Mykll likes this.
  19. hammadowna

hammadowna Avatar

Would it be in the best interest of everyone involved if you simply gave the reddit site to @Berek? I think all of us could agree that we would feel safer if he were the one moderating the "official" reddit page.

jamaplaya likes this.
  20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I trust Freeman 110%, once we disagreed on some issue, and he spent hours listening to me and arguing in PM in order to respect the integrity of the forums.

he didn't sugar coat anything :p

+10 in my book.

I say congrats and... good luck :p

3devious and Cordelayne like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.