Obsidian Forge Tips Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mass, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mass

mass Avatar

So, not to be spoilery, but I'm at the obsidian forge to do the thing you need to do for the main quest.

At level 84, I can clear the room by myself, and activate the forge, but a second later I take damage and it knocks me off the forge (followed by my death).

I use a skeleton (my only currently available summon) and healing skills to sustain myself while on the forge, which I think would get me through the activity, I just can't get the 3 or 4 seconds of peace I need to craft.

One thing I don't understand, that would help, is what determines when you can click on the forge? It doesn't seem like a set time, and I notice the curse resets every time you click without it being green. I thought it was maybe the curse cooldown, but that doesn't seem consistent either.

If I activate the forge and then clear the room again, will they all spawn again when I go back to the forge?

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

The easiest way is to just get someone to help you.

Other than that and assuming you are crafting the lens and not armor, kill everything as fast as you can, hop on the forge and spam click until it's available. Use heal over times if you can, and potions are great too. It will likely take a few attempts to get a little lucky with the spawn. When I did it I was adv level 75. Douse, Ice Shield, Water elemental helps a ton, unlock it if you can.

smack and discipleofweb like this.
  3. mass

mass Avatar

Thanks...they may actually make it solo accessible by the time I unlock the water elemental :) Using douse, ice sheild, and healing rain.
    Does spam clicking the forge work against you? I tried that, but got concerned when I saw the curse debuff resetting every time I clicked.

4. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Not that I could tell. The "trap" damage seems to just pulse. I didn't notice anything resetting when I clicked the forge. I didn't time it but it takes about 5 seconds to unlock which feels like forever when your health is going down that fast.

mass likes this.
  5. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

It was a really poor decision to include this as part of the story quest, considering its nearly impossible to do solo regardless of level (due to interruption) and you're likely to get killed repeatedly and have the joy of losing experience as well.

Fortunately, there's a lot of folks who are usually willing to help.

6. mass

mass Avatar

I'd probably wait to see the changes in next release before I let it come to that. I have trouble getting people on my teleport list to teleport to me :).

7. Emso Boydon

Emso Boydon Legend of the Hearth

:cool:

Elwyn and mass like this.
  8. Obsidian Tempest

Obsidian Tempest Avatar

Add me and I'll be happy to give you a hand when I'm on. ;)

Cordelayne and mass like this.
  9. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

10. mass

mass Avatar

Going to try this next time I'm on (thanks @hroth )
    There's a timing that's important for those who solo the forge while Lum and Lord British figure things out. It makes it less than impossible but still challenging - I would definitely suggest Adv Level 70.

I would suggest dabbling in a Ranged build because things could get dicey as Melee because of your relative immobility (see below).

1. As @Barugon mentions with proper resistance the fire elementals are not bad - the most basic of them and definitely not Xavara. With 80 in Ranged Combat and 80 in Rapid Fire/ Aimed Shot, I can dispatch them relatively quickly.

2. If you look closely at the debuff when you first touch the Forge, it is *definitely* heavy but only short lived. Bring potions to counter (imbued and greater health, imbued and greater restoration) and/or Elemental Resistance/Regeneration potions/cast some healing-over-time spells before you hop on. Don't forget to eat and attend your Sacrifice devotional too! I also suspect a Humility devotional would be apropos.

3. Touching the Forge also triggers the more massive influx of elementals. And as you fight them, more come. But it's a "wave", meaning that you can defeat them all. But it's important *not* to leave your position and not to leave touching the Forge. (You can jump for the Obsidian Golems, just not move laterally)

4. Thus I suggest:

a. Clearing all the elementals before touching the Forge.
    b. Buff up, cast your healing over time spells,
    c. Jumping on the Forge itself (get a little elevation to help you out).
    d. Down the potions (restoration take 1s to drink, health take 2s to drink).
    e. Stay your ground and wipe out the elementals. This is the most important part of the operation, because the tendency is to leave the Forge, resetting the wave and bringing more elementals in the meantime.
    f. As soon as the elementals are done, you can double click on the Forge and complete the quest.

hroth, smack, majoria70 and 1 other person like this.
  11. eli

eli Avatar

Great feedback. I'll just echo that potions are what made the difference for me.

hroth and mass like this.
  12. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

I did this solo, and it is a pain. I really hope they change it.

I had my summon out to take aggro, jumped on with healing active, click-click-click until the interface comes up, quick click the recipe and hit craft! With luck my summon held out and I got it crafted before I got hit.

It takes a bit after you jump on the pedestle before you can click to bring up the interface. Thats what threw me, because I was taking pretty good damage from the life drain.

Also remember to have the required fuel in your inventory! I screwed that up too... :oops:

hroth, smack, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  13. mass

mass Avatar

So, I've been trying and have found this to probably be my major issue. I'm a halberd user. I have no ranged skill or weapon or matching gear at all. I've switched to my ranged spells, but it's simply not enough to take down all the elemental spawns before they get me. Not being able to chase down the elementals makes this a deal breaker for my build. Going to have to think on it some more. I didn't see any notes in the QA50 build on changes here, which has me concerned.

hroth and By Tor like this.
  14. mass

mass Avatar

This turned out to be the absolutely most correct answer. After several offers of help, I took one up, and 10 minutes later it was done.

Apparently, even a gamer hermit like me can get it done; let's look forward to the solo solution though.

Aldo, hroth and Elwyn like this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Been there, done that, back when they were changing the ingot recipe. At least that time I was in a group and someone was able to give me the few coals I needed. Good on ya for the tip of using a summon to soak aggro just long enough to get it done.

As much as I hate having to be forced into a type of build, I gave in on this about two years ago. I got tired of being harassed by archers and mages (back when they were totally on meth when running around), and now my main spells are ranged, including all of my current three combat GMs.

hroth and mass like this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

It is activated similar to how a control point is activated. You have to stand near it until its activated then you can use it.

It will qlso rapidly deplete your health while its being activated. You must ensure you stay alive long enough for it to turn on.

Once it is on, elementals will begin to reaapear

17. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're planning on making a single player version of Hilt with the forge for the quest, however it needs a specific version of the forge that only repairs the lens so that it remains a challenge for high-tier craftsmen to use in its current version, thus why it didn't make this release. It is planned to go in soon though if you prefer to wait until then.

Aldo, hroth, Knightwolf and 4 others like this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Will this be available online if I play in single player online mode or will it only be available offline?

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

If it's like solo quest mode elsewhere in the game, it should be available in online as well. Basically, if you are on that stage of the quest, you will enter the special solo version of Hilt instead of the regular one. This also means that it will not be possible to have others help you. On the other hand, monsters will probably not respawn as long as you stay logged in to that scene. But it also means they can do other things like disable mob respawns.

hroth likes this.
  20. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Yeah, so, I finally got around to this. AL 81. I figured with the advice given here, I'd be able to make it work.

It's pretty frickin' ridiculous. If it were the health drain OR a dozen elementals, I could probably make it work. Longest I've been able to stay alive is maybe ten seconds. I've tried not moving once I'm on the forge, but if not moving results in 11 fire elementals and three obsidian golems, how would you even do this as a melee character?@Lum the Mad

I don't see how this made it into a release. Somebody really dropped the ball.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    discipleofweb and hroth like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.