What is the purpose of SPO?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stundorn, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Not a dumb question at all, you would need to log out to switch to another mode, some have insufficient hardware to do this quickly. Plus you would need to set the options for your next login, otherwise you're put back in the same mode you left. As far as PvP zones go, when you enter these zones you are automatically placed into MPO, as it's PvP, but when you leave the zone, I believe your put back into SPO, wo/logging...

The only penalty is the time it takes to do, you know logout timer and such, plus if you're flagged PvP, you can't just log to escape the battle...

I could be wrong...

2. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

It's just simple:
    If you started an Avatar online and want to do something in a good frequented area, it's a good idea to change to SPO.
    Because you want to play with THIS Avatar and look around.
    And beside this: If you want to explore PVP zones without fearing a cutthroat and also may be for doing quests, where it is more easier to enter from the overworld.
    There are severeal good reasons for switching mode ...

3. bloodydragon

bloodydragon Avatar

Thanks for explaining. I like that pvp forces you into Multiplayer. (I am a rare pve player who doesn't mind running for my life once in a while.)

So switching doesn't sound super efficient, but I can definitely see wanting to log on in SPO once in a while. Sometimes you only have a half hour to play, or are feeling antisocial and don't want to get derailed by other players.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's PvP areas that force multi. I think you can still go FO/SP-Online in other areas, but then you don't get the 10% (?) XP bonus for PvP, in addition to not getting the other 10% bonus for being in multi.

5. bloodydragon

bloodydragon Avatar

Thanks for clarifying that.

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

sure, but whats the matter , you can also use FMO and just dont invite someone to your party - or not ?o_O

If i'm in a crowded area and i want to be for myself i allways switch to FMO instead to SPO, because if one of my guildmates want to join in can invite him and need not switch again.

so to me FMO while soloing is absolutely the same than SPO.

Teleporting is also not possible. you need to have a party in FMO to teleport to someone in FMO, the FL is not enough here.
    So 2 People in FMO plus they are friends, cannot teleport to each other unless the group up, right?!?!

7. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Does SPO at least show you as inactive on the friends list? Maybe a do not disturb mode?

8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Nope - i know that this was requested once, that you can maybe decide if you are shown offline or chat is offline while you are playing online regarding Vendors/ market, but solo and in a sort of DND mode, but that is not the case.
    There were also ideas to lower spawnrates, because you are alone and not in a suggested Party while in FMO or MPO.
    Then i remember my own request for no respawns at all in SPO, to clear an area solo what only reset if you re-enter it- including ressources ofc.
    you know you could RP for yourself to have cleared the Area and such.
    I also would like that as an option for FMO, because you then can "use" then Scene as a private RP Scene to RP in, duell or whatever.
    There are maybe usefull features to have SPO for in the future, but actually there are none i am aware of.

If what alley oop postet would work i would say ok, but if not like kaeshiva said, also no cause to keep it.

SPO is absolutley the same as if you are in FMO and just dont have a group atm. So to me it can be called Private Mode online and is good for private solo or private grouping.
    It would make things easier and less complicated - i'm sure people will ask what is the difference, why is it there and such. so make things more clear, make it more logic and accessble is allways good, or?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

No you don't have to log out anymore to switch. Just click on options and multiplayer and click on Friends Online checkbox and you are switching. Then to go back to Multi-player you click on options again and click multiplayer to go back.

10. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

SPO worked for my friend who resigned never to play these games again (MMO's) after a particularly harsh experience. I sold it as somewhat like co-op Skyrim that if you wanted you could go into multiplayer but not necessary. He checked it out and now joins me in FOL. It takes me half a second to realize I have to switch to FOL for him to teleport to me after we group. He's started to dip into multiplayer just recently after I explained the whole "make as many friends as possible for the teleporting thing" - so yay! Something he said he would never do again, proved false by SoTA, and yes ..

... made the experience even possible since he refused to spend the time switch modes the old way.

SPO caters to a market of players that may or may not want to play a multiplayer game again maybe. Maybe at least not before they don't feel quite so newbish and of course start out solo.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    majoria70 likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh that's fantastic. Thank you for sharing.

12. 3devious

3devious Avatar

It is to reduce resources needed... Except that it doesn't.

13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just want to point out that there is no word here that starts with M:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.