Anyone like me, Not in the mood to build a new computer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by addrox, Jan 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. addrox

addrox Avatar

Hail,

Based on the Crypto mining driving up prices for Video cards I really don't want to build a new computer today. At the same time I really would like to be able to go into Brit and lag into holy hell.

Anyone else feel like this? This is a really bad time for optimized game code. I mean I can play most other games on 4K full graphics but SOTA is killing me.

I guess.. Devs ... keep up the work with optimization.

This post is a grip and kudos combin... .... DAMIT died again .... OOOoo0o0oOOOo0o0oOOo

2. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

What video card do you have?

3. eli

eli Avatar

I play on an Alienware that costs $800 (desktop) and an Asus (laptop) which was $1000.

No issues outside of the dance parties... which means no issues ;)

Elwyn and Stundorn like this.
  4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

I was going to get a new computer myself next month but as you say - with miners driving up video card prices even further lately, and the spectre/meltdown bug meaning we have to wait for new CPUs that are not affected by it (and those CPUs will be really expensive once released no doubt because every security conscious person or organisation out there will want to upgrade to them), I feel a bit stuck right now. Hopefully Cryptocurrency will crash more in the coming months. =P

I did buy a nice new keyboard though I guess.

addrox likes this.
  5. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

Is this a serious thread?

Elwyn and Barugon like this.
  6. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

There's still a ways to go, but performance is wayyyyyyy better now than it used to be. I'm out of the country and playing on an old laptop that barely meets the minimum specs, and I can now adventure without any hitching or lag. Some towns aren't great, but it's playable, and it wasn't always.

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  7. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Yer crazy, sure crypto drove up the price of vid cards, but the rest is the same. Build yer new 8th generation liquid cooled i7 and slap a used gtx 970 in it from ebay for 180 bucks and just wait it out, with that being said. Last I checked a 1070 is going more than double what they are worth, Then the 1080's went and now the Titans, stock seems quite low globally. So basically buy a used 970 or new Titan or get ripped is what I see.

addrox and Greyfox like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The prices became insane.
    When i bought my MSI laptop i was like "ahhh....mhh....do i get the 6gb GTX or the 3 GB....but the 6GB is another 300 EUR and i want it now...i will regret that in 3 month seeing the price for the 6gb version will be the same of my 3gb now..."
    I bought it, it never happened. By now my laptop with the 3gb gtx 1060 reached and toped the price of the 6GB version back than.
    That's just not normal. Tech should get cheaper if it gets old. Not MORE expensive!

On the other hand, it spared me from buyers remorse ^^

9. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

My comp is like 5 yrs old. Just changed the hard drive to a ssc and it’s like a new computer. It cost me 150 bucks for 500 gig.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  10. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

It's actually a serious topic and is probably going to affect the gaming industry in some way. I know that's how business works but there's a downside. Game designers push the limits of each card which drives graphics card sales. Gamers buy those new cards to get those effects. If gamers can't get these new cards it has the potential to slow innovation.

Imagine what would happen if crypto miners found that an Xbox or Playstation was a cheaper way to mine crypto currency? Those systems would increase in price, slowing down the gaming industry because gamers can't get the units.

Good for some but bad for others. The card makers aren't getting $1k for these units. The resellers are. Hope it all settles soon.

Garfunkel Humperdinck likes this.
  11. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

I got lucky and built my computer before the prices got nuts. Paid $220US(after $30 rebate) for an Rx480 8-gig card in Dec '16, then looked at the prices a few months later and couldn't find it for any cheaper than $389. It's not just video cards either, memory prices are insane! I wanted to upgrade from 16gig to 32(buy two more 8gig chips), but the prices more than tripled on them. I don't remember exactly what I paid but it was somewhere around $85-90US when I bought 2 8gig 2400Mhz Mushkin Blackline modules. Just a few weeks ago they were selling for over $300US, I just checked and the cheapest you can get them now is $214US. So, it looks like the memory prices are coming down, but I'm still going to wait a bit before I buy more memory. It seems that more and more smartphones are using DDR4 and driving up the price of memory. Hopefully, eventually, the prices will come back down to 4th quarter 2016 prices and then I will upgrade.

12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I used to built my PCs for fun way back when you soldered chips on circuit boards. Today's PCs is just a puzzle with colored connectors and such. I just buy gaming laptops now for no more than $1060. :D

13. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Just turn off shadows :)

14. EtherBunny

EtherBunny Avatar

I'm currently tempted to buy an Asus GL702VS-RS71 Strix. Although, all I need to do to get a better pc is get a new MB (MSI G370), probably a Ryzen 5 1600x (not top of the line but still good enough to do what I need while saving some $$$$) and some DDR4 RAM. I currently have an RX 480 8GB card in my current rig. So yea, that's my current mental debate: go cheaper with parts, or upgrade completely to a good gaming laptop.

15. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I would advise that folks wait before getting hardware to play this game. I've been testing on 2 extremes:
    A i7 (last year's highend chip) a 1080 geforce card with as many CUDA cores as my husband could afford for his renderings 32 GB of RAM fast hard drive but not solid state
    the other end is my Surface Pro with 16 GB of RAM
    I run with everything turned off on my Surface and performance is unacceptable then I remember that I am running our game on a tablet and I waddle back under my bridge and shut up. Yeah? But it's a $3000 tablet so 90FPS or GTFO! :p
    @addrox I'm hoping they get performance up too but at my job we are pushing Unity beyond its limits on visual calculations and line of sight. SotA really takes a hit in the graphics and number of functional objects department. It is really impressive but when you go to your bank and it takes more than 30sec for your stored items window to redraw you become less apreciative of all of the things it is doing at once.
    We are trying to force a 10 gallon crap into a 5 gallon bucket. Something's got to give somewhere for now.

16. liquidkaos

liquidkaos Avatar

Dollar for dollar, a gaming desktop will always crush a gaming laptop. That said, it's best to buy a gaming rig right now from CyberPower or DELL (with a coupon) since the video cards and memory are running at over double the price they were a year ago due to the mining craze.

Nelzie and 3devious like this.
  17. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

The memory prices are due to demand from smartphone manufacturers, not crypto-miners. The GPU's are definitely due to mining however.

18. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I don't understand. How does that relate?

19. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

I just built a new system this weekend. No problems as I already had a pair of 1070s.

The i7 8700k@5ghz, Aorus Z370 Gaming 7 MB, 32GB DDR4-3500. I upgraded from an i7 4700k and that is now my backup desktop. Other than GPU prices the rest of desktop hardware is at all time lows. Especially SSD prices. The 8700k is the end of the 14nm generation and an amazing 6 core chip. Current games mostly use 4 cores or less but are migrating to 6.

The .10nm Intel chips are delayed until late 18 or early 19. They will be priced at a premium and hard to obtain for a while. I also prefer not to buy the first chip of a die shrink.

The CPU security issues are being handled by the OS and negligible impact on gaming/home PCs. Mostly just the fake news trying to get clicks and viewers.

So really now is the absolute best time to upgrade. Hold off on a GPU, use what you currently have, buy used to hold you over, or buy a new GTX 1050, they are still reasonable. https://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Geforce-GDDR5-Graphic-GV-N105TOC-4GD/dp/B01M25X363/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1517155915&sr=1-1&keywords=Gigabyte+Geforce+GTX+1050+Ti+OC+4GB+GDDR5+128+Bit+PCI-E+Graphic+Card+(GV-N105TOC-4GD)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  20. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

How does it relate to what? Are you asking how do demands for DDR4 in smartphones drive up the price?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.