SotA Map for Linux

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Aiyarree, Oct 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar: SotAMap Now Under Official Development! - Update #250

was an email that arrived me shortly. Do this mean we get the map feature soon?
    I mean in this state of the game it is quiet annoying to have big features like this on only one platform.
    I mean, if it is not ready it is not ready. Ok with this, no problem.
    But giving one platform an advantage... for several month now over the others...
    i am deeply disappointed.

Jaws2, Jesterhead, Sorthious and 3 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I'm sure it is disappointing and I know they are working on it. Many games don't support Linux but Shrouds has said they are trying to support it the best they can. It just takes patience. I am a windows player and have always been so far. I hope it happens soon for you. :)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  3. zerothis

zerothis Avatar

I was thrilled to see the message in the game that they were working on it. Usually companies just silently disable features that don't work (or are imperfect) on GNU/Linux and are done speaking or doing anything about it.

Sentinel2 and majoria70 like this.
  4. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

No, they dont. Ask ARK. Because of forum-rules i do not explain it further.
    If you support several platforms - and a client is clearly a form of support - you have to tread all equal.
    As we give equal money.
    Everything else is bullshit.

Sorthious likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

From the Q1 2018 Schedule:

Sorthious and Sentinel2 like this.
  6. Jesterhead

Jesterhead Avatar

surely this feature will be included in tuesday's update, yes?

7. Grimbone

Grimbone Avatar

I dont think it will make it by Tues as I remember Chris saying they are still having issues with it but working on it. I would expect to see it working within the next 6 months after release.

8. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

They say that for over a year now.
    It's dissapointing that the Linux user have no working map and still use the old Unity3d client when the game goes live.

We paid the full price for the Game and not ⅔.

9. Owlbear

Owlbear Avatar

Is there any news on when the map feature will work?
    I've been hunting around, but this is one of the few references I've found so far.

Arcanoxer likes this.
  10. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Owlbear and Sentinel2 like this.
  11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

12. Undone

Undone Trap Master Moderator SOTA Developer

I really wanted to have this feature finished by launch. Unfortunately that did not happen for a number of reasons.

The Unity plugin we use is a slightly modified version of the Chromium Embedded Framework (CEF) and comes precompiled for Windows & MacOS. Linux support is on the plugin's roadmap and the author was kind enough to share the source with us when we first introduced the feature many months ago. I spent a great deal of time attempting to compile the plugin from source on my linux box but had no success (during the process it was painfully obvious why the plugin has no official support for Linux). Within the past two months I gave it another go and was able to finally get the plugin fully compiled with the help of a high-memory machine here in the office. The results however were disappointing as the editor & client crashed immediately upon trying to initialize the browser.

Remember that this plugin is an entire web browser framework. It's not a simple script we can slap in there to make it work. I have been in constant contact with the author of the plugin and within the next few months he hopes to revisit the Linux version with my assistance. I have also spoken to a number of community members who are investigating alternative options - but things are never as simple as they initially seem.

Regardless of the trouble on my end I want to apologize for not having this done sooner. I am working on it and doing my best to get a functional version out in a timely manner.

tldr: I successfully compiled the plugin for Linux but it immediately crashed the client when used.

Owlbear, AvatarGG, Feeyo and 7 others like this.
  13. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

No worries. We know you are working on it and there are other high priorities which must be completed for the majority.

Maybe we can setup a thread/forum/group/something to take advantage of other interested community members who are running linux and would love to take a crack at it. Perhaps one of us will get lucky and figure out the secret sauce to making it work :)

It's a thought :D

Owlbear likes this.
  14. Joeyboots

Joeyboots Avatar

Thank you for being honest about the issue with the map and continuing to work on finding a fix. I hope you get it figured out so us Linux users can have feature parity with the Windows version.

15. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

TYSM FOR SUPPORTING LINUX!!!!!!!!! I wouldnt be a backer if Port hadnt chosen to make this game available to linux users.

I too would really, really like to see the in game map for linux. Glad to know its in focus!

/awaits patiently

16. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

@Undone
    if you guys need any help with GNU/Linux I would love to help out. I am GNU/Linux system developer.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  17. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Why not create a real minimap view layer in Unity instead of using some webkit iframe external framework solution really?
    Adding another camera above the player doing as less possible scene rendering should be fine to create a minimap.

Jaws2 likes this.
  18. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Sentinel2 likes this.
  19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I would think that's a benefit of having the community support the game. I'd love a shot at getting the map working in Linux. Been running both Ubuntu and KUbuntu 16.04. I'd think we could spend some time digging into this. Though honestly I like the idea of a Unity minimap instead.

20. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yep same here, I am currently almost not playing on Linux as my ingame (and outgame) navigation skills are pretty bad. I could even get lost in my own backyard so to say.
    But yeah having a native unity minimap system would be so much better. Better then how it is currently with forking 3 other processes into the background for the minimap webkit framework thingy.

And I am pretty sure that it will also fix that minimap cursor out of sync bug reports ;)

alioth likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.