Decay yay or nay?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corv, Feb 1, 2018.

?

Decay yay or nay

1. yay!

60 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. nay!

110 vote(s)
    64.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

You will always progress until your decay per hour, with no 24 hour cap would exceed your hourly exp gains which are now capped at 1 million. Which if everything was the straight .0004 of applied exp, you would need 2,500,000,000 applied exp points to achieve a leveling of decay vs gain with no 24 hour cap to decay. Now if that was implemented then you are correct. But that is not what we have, the person who dies more could grind more, could fight lesser enemies, and never be capped.

So person who dies a lot may take longer to get there but they could just go kill bears forever to achieve it.

Gamician and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

But if they arent dying more they are no longer the person dying more. So its still true the person dying more is gonna cap out sooner than the person not dying as much

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

Looks like Group(B) has spoken with a clear vote showing how these restrictions/ideas are only being raised to hold back players because Group(A) feels they need restrictions to make the game fun for them!

Hope the devs see this and make sure they are in tune with the majority and not with a minority of ear whisperers that spend more time brown nosing then playing the game!

Mortanius, psteg, Gamician and 2 others like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

LOL, maybe he hired someone to do the grinding for him?

5. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

There seems to be 42 people (currently) who like the decay system.
    I'd love for some of them to tell the rest of us WHY they like it, how much xp they lose on a death, and how they typically spend their time in SotA.

kaeshiva, Toadster and Nikko like this.
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

We've determined that without their answer... beyond the shadow of a doubt.

7. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

I too would really like to know their adventurer levels, and amount they play per week. I'll bet the average ADV level of the people who like it is around 60 or 70. We will all hit the wall where it takes a very very long time to gain any level of any skill in this game. When you get to level 120-130ish in 1x skills, it takes a ridiculous amount of XP and time to gain a TINY amount. ...And that's the 1x skills! It will take some longer than others to reach the wall, but we'll all be there at some point. With or without XP Decay. It is completely unnecessary, and only slows down people that play the game less frequently.

Mortanius, Ajivani and FrostII like this.
  8. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Because when I do the Rise, I get a RISE out of the fact that I can die and lose 10m of my time (take me 10m to do ~260k which is what I ~lose when I die at my lvl (100))... and this feeling pushes me to the perfect my playstyle and gear and decks. This is a feeling most/some people search for in a game. This is also the reason why pvp must have consequences.

Its all about THE RUSH.

If you cant understand that, then im sorry, you are missing out of something special.

I know most people get frustrated when they die and usually just close the game and come back to it at a later time, but when I die, I take it as a learning experience and try to figure out where I went wrong and fix the mistake.

xadoor and nonaware like this.
  9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I voted yes because I think this game needs a decay with the current non-cap skill system. The amount we lose is fair? not sure, I also think the numbers are not balanced yet but I like the meaning of a death decay, or penalty.

One more example, at adv 100 you lose like 160-180k xp. At that level you can solo rooms in The Rise, The Fall or K'rul, so you can get 400-700k xp / hour. If you don't like adventuring solo, you can get 300-500k xp/h in party in any of those high level dungeons.

Unfortunately I can't give you an example of a casual player because I don't know any casual player who has a character over lvl 100-110. Anyone saying he is casual and playing 3-4h / day, he is not for obvious reasons :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

these are posts from the first couple of pages.

And this is still inaccurate

11. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

I like decay because it forces me to be a little more alert when playing. I have to back away if I engage in a fight unprepared or against too strong enemies. It adds an element to the game. If there was no decay I would play a more lazy style and get bored faster.

I'm lvl 90, lose 70k which I gain back in 15 minutes. My play style is roaming around and fighting monsters solo a few hours at a time in the various zones suited for my level. Sometimes a bit mining and crafting. Maybe 10-15 hours a week.

12. Rada Torment

We can't do 260k xp in 10min, thats 1.5m / hour. As you know, not possible with current system. I guess you mixed up numbers, but I'm agree with the general idea, there must be some risk and some of us enjoy this kind of mechanics.

13. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

Look at the video, do it and tell me how much exp you get...
    its 260k in 10m in pvp mode with multi. I never mentioned attenuation
    after doing multi and friends (22m), I get full inventory and need to unload anyways

14. Rada Torment

Maybe I did not explain well myself. I guess for first 10min is valid but you can't do that for 1h and get 1.5m xp, as you may know already. Seems a good tactic to recover quickly the xp lost.

Anyway, just as personal note, it would be better to show a video with your xp before and after those 10min and in real-time (for those who want to learn from others and see what you using etc, bit hard with speed up).

FrostII likes this.
  15. MasterWan

MasterWan Avatar

I voted “yay” because death penalty gives the game immersion for me. Switching gears I’ll never forget how the game Bioshock introduced respawn into the game. It blew it for me. I’m the type of gamer that likes accomplishment. Death shouldn’t mean “oh dang, gotta start back at the check point again.” Challenge, It’s what keeps me coming back.

When games don’t have penalty for attacking an area that is much too hard for the character it just becomes mindless to me. I like to lvl and meticulously prepare. Once you get to the point where you finally beat that task it’s great.
    Like the new Zelda on switch, you gotta stock good weapons, shields, get the right armor, cook food/potions and be on your game to beat some areas.

In SOTA I don’t even keep track of xp loss, I just play the game for all of its great RPG features. Maybe I don’t really care because I don’t obsess over pvp. Maybe the people who complain about “too grindey” are just grinding out bears in deep ravenswood for hours when they should be doing other stuff? ***But if pvp IS endgame perhaps I get the argument.***

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Still a mystery, because of the live story part yet to be unveiled. Granted its a powerful motivator for everyone to be "on top of their game".

Unintended consequences ? :p

MasterWan likes this.
  17. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Vodalian
    Where are you getting 70k in 15 mins ?
    Not saying you can't, just curious as to what YOU are killing for it...

18. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

No problem, these are the zones I gain fastest: Clearing the three catapults in a forest siege (think this might be the fastest exp for me in 15 min), Kobold Camp, Grannus Colossus, K´rul, The Rise, Crag Hills. Not sure all these are that fast, some might be more like 20 minutes for 70k. I play 2-handed blunt + heavy armor + earth magic.

FrostII and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  19. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Some would probably fit better here if you looking at games in general as arena based PVP games accomplish this well with just the feeling of winning or losing. If your looking at a game like SOTA, sacrificing time and more grinding does not accomplish this for the majority of this player base, and it will not help this game gain popularity with any generation. There are not many people that are willing to grind hours to compete then grind hours more every time they die, if all they want is the challenge of the fight.

20. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

Would you feel the same way if you lost 4 hours of your time?
    Howabout 3 days?
    Are you planning on turning off all skills soon and not advancing your character any further, ever, to keep your decay manageable?

FrostII and Diab Blackbow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.