So I know the answer to increase PvP population -

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Xkhan, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

I think I do.

Not many will like the answer.

You have to remove the chance for loss of gear. Period. No ransom. People do not want to lose what they worked for and that really is all there is to it.

You can still get a body part as your trophy.
    Maybe gold - depending on the adventure level or something - but we dont want people to be farmed either...

If there was no way I would lose an item I would flag instantly. I do not want to worry about carrying around 40 pipes and other nonsense just so I can pvp.

If the technology is there allow people to flag a second time (for virtue/whatever) and these people go into loot/ransom/whatever mode....

My .02

Ooga Booga, Mac2, kaeshiva and 6 others like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You only lose it if you do not pay the ransom - 5 minutes of adventuring will garner enough gold ot buy items back.

Brink1123 likes this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Perhaps. But the real problem is the value of gear. The monetary and time investment. Not the combat value. Lower the money and time required to make new gear, that also meets the need of feeling competitive, you lower the bar for PvP entry.

Johnwick, Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

the problem is that there is a "bar for PvP entry"

5. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

PVP just needs incentives..once better rewards are introduced... there will be slaughter.

Johnwick and Antrax Artek like this.
  6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

5 minutes adventuring. So, ransom is only around 30 to 50 gold total?

7. DavidDC

DavidDC Programmer Moderator SOTA Developer

The thing is current broken economy doesnt fit the new modified high priced pvp ransom. Something went wrong

8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

Yep! I will avoid PvP until my character is in a comfortably high AL (Like near AL 100) with a large range of high up skills too. That's where most of the PvP players are at and if I was level 50, flagged for PvP, many of them (whom I don't see post so much lately.) would have immediately attacked and slaughtered my half their level toon, just because.

I watched that happen in the Crag Foothills some time ago. A guy, not far from my then AL, was just using PvP flag to grab more XP. A MUCH, MUCH higher PvP player came in and just ran up and slaughtered him really quick, while he was actively engaged with several MOBs. The PvP flagged guy my level, left and didn't come back, while the high level PvP player just continued to run around the foot hills attacking one or two other PvP flagged people, ignoring the MOBs and then left himself.

Balancing out who can PvP with who would have meant that I would have had more interest in PvP the whole time on.

Almost nobody wants to engage in laughably unfairly unbalanced PvP.

Cordelayne, kaeshiva, Gorthyn and 2 others like this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ty for supporting the narrative that PvP has a bar

ahh but it happens, player kill players who cannot or do not even fight back - back to the mentality.

Done here the horse has been glue for over a year

10. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

The incentives are there. Extra experience is enough for me. It's the loss. I don't want to lose anything...IDC what it is or how much. I don't want to have to buy my sword back or buy a nightshade back....NO loot and I am in. Those situations with the gankers won't bother me as I didn't lose anything.

11. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

AL 80 should get you results. Around 80 a good player can beat anyone. Skills don't increase much more at higher level. There are plenty of decent players AL 80 or so killing higher levels. Especially when you are grouped you can easily defend against a single player killer.

The problem is a lot of people that are still low level have no clue about the game. Granted there aren't many tutorials, and the PVP training clubs etc are sth of the past, since lack of PVP mechanics made those players quit.

I am sure we will see PVP content in the future that eases players into it. Also the mastery system etc should make it easier overall to compete from my POV.

12. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

But... it does have a bar. A quite high one at that. If high leveled, highly skilled PvP players all collectively stepped back and flat out refused to be the aggressor to clearly lower leveled opponents and showed some "honor", that bar wouldn't be so high and would only be an elephant in the room.

They don't, so the bar is "If you want to flag PvP, be a very high level in AL and Skills so that you can at least pretend to have a chance."

Cordelayne likes this.
  13. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Maybe you two need a [Young] Tag. That would solve the issues? AL80 isn't so hard to get. If we get higher population people probably level past you guys fast.

14. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

As a casual player, I see a level every... maybe couple of weeks not that I have entered Al 70. That's playing roughly an hour to two hours a day and I'm pretty much, only grinding at more XP these days. It's not hard... but it's going to take me maybe 6 months, considering the growth in XP needed for every additional level.

Yes, I could group, but... my schedule to play is not incredibly robust as it is, I won't always be available to spend 30 to 45 minutes waiting for everyone to login, get buffs and meet up and then the inevitable, "Hold up, BRB, kid just got out of bed, again..."

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

if people are unwilling to risk things they gained, then the game has a design problem.

It's risk vs reward, not risk vs risk.

kaeshiva and Nelzie like this.
  16. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I am kinda casual as well due to work and studies. I hope for a faction system where I can tag along high level exp. players. The main problem is that everyone can be a PK without consequence... if killing innocent or good ppl would have a conquence, less people would do it. I think fondly of my time in UO where we whacked PKs out of our dungeons by cooperating. In this game, everyone flagged is an enemy unfortunately.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Nelzie and Bow Vale like this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sounds like I've been lucky... flagged since the beginning and I have only met 5 other flagged players and they just said Hi and went on their way.

Never met a single player in any of the pvp zones either...

18. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

You get like 14-25 gold per mob.. real exciting.

19. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Yeah I mainly played in the beginning where we still had Horned Society etc. with lots of PVP going on. But pretty fast people lost interest as there was no depth in the game. Now release got people excited again, but I guess there is still no sandbox content unfortunately... I hope the releases after R52 fix that :/

20. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

Why would that be a design problem?

I am not defending or arguing anything - just telling you that people (me for one) do n o t want to lose anything....nothing....so I don't pvp and I miss out on that great exp...you are OK with losing something...super! Design has nothing to do with it. 5 minutes or 5 days to 'get my item back' is N O T worth it to me....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.