Anyone know of a good head set?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mac2, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. golruul

golruul Avatar

So for my experience, the various computer headsets were pretty crappy that I've had. I stopped buying them and ended up getting dedicated headphones and a separate microphone. I'm currently using Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 for headphones and a Yeti USB microphone. The headphones are very comfy and don't give that "squished head" feeling.

The headphones have been working for 5+ years now and the mic I've been using for 2+ years.

Rada Torment and Sorthious like this.
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

I have a SteelSeries Siberia 800. I like it a lot more than my old Astro A50. Better sound quality and it has hot-swap batteries, not their BS internal battery that eventually dies forcing you to send the headset back to Astro to replace.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I used this one for a LONG time until house went poof -
    Logitech Over-The-Head Wireless Headset H600

now I have a Cosair one
    Corsair VOID USB RGB Gaming Headset, White

Logitech under 50 Cosair 80 ish
    liked both for wireless and I have walked almost 30 yards from house with Cosair without losing con.

cheap easy Logitech a little more boost Cosair

4. Calan Caitin

Calan Caitin Avatar

I've had Razer Man o' War for about 6 months. I love them so far. The sounds quality is top notch, has background noise cancellation and wireless. You can plug in the usb charging and use them as well if the battery does go dead.

Kaffien likes this.
  5. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Love my Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO, not wireless and originally purchased for music/audio editing (when I had time to tackle). Have had no problems over the last number of years.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Thexedor Markhamm likes this.
  6. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    If you prefer corded, the razen kraken chromas are nice. I find they are too tight on my ears but I have largish ears.

If you have bigger ears and prefer long time use sessions, I'd recommend the steel series Siberia v3. They are great, durable, very nice fitting without being tight. The V2 and Diablo 3 versions are pretty much the same.

7. Schneider DragonFang

Schneider DragonFang Avatar

I have 2 different headsets, an Astro A50 wireless and a Corsair Void Pro RGB wireless.
    I prefer my astro headset running on dolby atmos, but moved on to the corsair headset using their software with dolby 7.1.
    If you aren't using dolby atmos drivers then you could go with corsairs the price difference is 300 for astros and 80-120 for the corsairs, this is assuming you want wireless.
    Battery life my corsairs are everlasting never going down past 50% during an entire 12 hr gaming session, my astros couldn't even beat that out of the box.
    Big plus I just found out also is if you want to have spatial sound activated on the corsair headsets, just don't install their software from their website as they suggest.
    Here are the links to the 2 headsets I described.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/astro-...indows-black-and-blue/5368701.p?skuId=5368701
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsai...-headset-for-pc-white/6006602.p?skuId=6006602

moxiepilot likes this.
  8. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

This suggestion is the best one. Don't buy anything with gaming in its name. Audio technica make amazing headphones. I have a pair of A700x's and A900's. I picked them up years ago in Japan and they're still going strong. The A700x's are cheaper and I actually prefer them. The yeti is also a really good mic.

9. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Avatar

My Razor Kraken 7.1 Chroma headset has been great for about 2 years now. Sound is awesome! My ears do get tired after 4-5 hours of wearing them though. I don't have the problem of big ears so much as I have a problem with my large pumpkin,...7 3/4" hat size means I have to shop a bit for the right fit on things of this nature, hats, headsets, sunglasses, etc. Only good thing about it is that Martian women go crazy when they see me with my large cranium and bedroom eyes!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    moxiepilot likes this.
  10. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

+1. Got for music production, but use for pretty much everything. Very comfortable for long sessions (and if you have a gigantic head...like me).

11. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

In-ear buds, on-ear buds, on-ear headphones or over-ear headphones: which ones do you fancy?

I could never use any of the gazillion in-ear buds, that feel as if someone is sticking his finger in your ear. You need to put these tightly in your earhole in order to get good sound (and hear some bass) so that usually means pressure on your eardrum to boot. Eeew. I do have a pair of on-ear buds (like the Apple buds, pretty damn rare) that still feel uncomfortable even though I have ones that are padded with some fabric.

So on to the real headsets: on-ear sets rests on your earshells (auricles?) which means pressure where I at least would never want it. Even with very soft padded cups I end up with painful auricles after a while. They feel very "open" too, allowing background noise, which feels not right for me.

So it is over-ear, soft padded cups all the way for me. Also, the headband should have good padding, something that often seems an afterthought. Unfortunately, pretty much 99% of all over-ear cups are made of the same smooth and cold-feeling faky leathery stuff that feels cold at first touch and (after a while) somewhat sticky(sweaty) to the area where it touches around your ear. Because of the smooth surface they also tend to kind off move around more over your ear then the ones I fancy: truly soft, velvety fabric on the pads. I have only found one brand that consistently keeps making at least one model that has these soft padded shells and that is Sennheiser. And they have great sound to boot! They still do not have these in the bluetooth version though. :(

They are pretty expensive but not more expensive then a dozen other brands in that quality range.

So if you want good and comfortable, buy something like these: https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-O...D=41Jjm4ZGsVL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

Check out those soft padded shells!

How ever, if you are ok with the faky leather type shells, then you have *vastly* more choice. This is a cheap (and bluetooth!) buy with good sound (still over-ear): https://www.hoofdtelefoonstore.nl/p...FUwH05vR3fmt605k0yu6zWrVcSV7BZkBoC3QcQAvD_BwE

Could not find that one in the US but I am sure many similar headphones can be found there. I am using these myself . Clear sound, good bass.

TLDR: you can have good, over-ear sound for as little as 50 bucks.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    Sorthious likes this.
  12. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I would actually like to find a full two-ear and another simpler one-ear that's wireless... so far those I've tried have one issue or another, such as being unable to connect to Discord.

13. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Best advice of the thread. Doing this since a year.

And good to remember, gaming headsets are all overpriced.

Sorthious likes this.
  14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't care for the big headsets, but about 6 years ago I got a set of Plantronics Supra H261N, which still work great. They are a slimmer, two-ear headset with microphone. I can't find them anymore, but the "update" of them is available here. The Blackwire C225 looks to be about the same but with on-cord volume adjustment.

15. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

I really like my Logitech G230 - https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g230-stereo-gaming-headset?crid=1454 a
    My previous one is a Sennheiser PC 3 which is also great, but is an on the ear rather than having over the ear speakers.
    The Logitech does not slip on my head, though the Sennheiser did not slip often. I use the Sennheiser with my laptop for traveling.
    Both have given me good, long service, and I have gotten excellent sound reports on my microphone with both systems.

16. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Pamela Anderson? jk. for cost there are many out there. I like Razer Talimat 7.1 for most my games, but requires discrete 7.1 outputs

17. Knight Commander Tyncale

Knight Commander Tyncale Avatar

I agree with the notion that "gaming" headsets are overpriced and often cheaply made(mic breaks off, that sort of thing). I always use a separate mic so I can really get value for money for the headset.

18. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

beyerdynamic MMX300 in terms of speech quality.
    If you like fancy leds - take any of the others.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.