Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Taming info after today's patch.

Discussion in 'Release 51 QA Feedback Forum' started by Pawz, Feb 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Ok so today Darkstar corpion went from 1,545 HP to 1,382 HP at 116 taming specialization. At 117 taming specialization the pet gained 2 HP *edit* I just took taming specialization to 118 and the pet gained 4 more hp. I'm going to try to get another level or two by dumping all other skills ans see what happens with pets hp.

His damage is also quite a bit lower, he can solo with me healing him but it's painfully slow. I wouldn't mind but it also seems he's caped as he only gains 2hp per lev of taming specialization and no matter how high I take the summon and combat training skills, he never gets any stronger. I have summoning at 128 and combat training at 121.

Right now i'm on the fence as to whether I will be a tamer once this goes live, I still feel taming is fun but when I can see no growth ever being possible for my pet, I see no growth for my avatar as a tamer.

This seems to be a hard cap for taming. I could play for years and put another 100 mil into taming and my pet won't see any meaningful growth and as such neither will my avatar as a tamer.

This hard cap could be addressed by adding higher level tamable pets but for now I don't see any reason to put more points in taming.

For a tamer that want's their pet to represent their primary damage, this is a very tough call. I still feel taming is fun, and for those that absolutely want to play a tamer, it is a slow but viable option now. However the lack of possible growth for my pet makes it feel like I have no goals until higher level tamable pets are introduced.

@Chris It's not the small nerf that I mind as it's not too bad...it's the lack of future growth for my pet and hence myself as a tamer. I know you're crazy busy and this is a lower priority for the game as a whole, but if you could create a few higher level tamable pets it would give all tamers some future goals. :)

On further testing I dumped all skills down to 40, I have no hope of soloing even with the pet but it's test so here are the numbers so far...
    116 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,382 hp
    117 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,384 hp
    118 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,390 hp
    119 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,399 hp
    120 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,411 hp
    121 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,416 hp
    122 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,422 hp
    123 taming specialization the darkstar has 1,428 hp

That's as high as I can take it, I don't have enough exp for another level.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    Sara Dreygon, Thwip, Chatele and 9 others like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

:(

What is the taming power of your combat training at 121? Mine at 89 is +14 with +15 during the next twenty levels through 100.

What is your focus drain and what level are you? Mine is at 89 and the darkstarr corpion takes 302 focus points.

Chatele, Weins201 and Pawz like this.
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Thx for your testing.

For me my pet will be an extension of my other skills and will mainly be used in support by me, taking fire off one mob or 2 while i deal with another, catching and disabling foes with their cc's and generally being a friend on adventures. I will still be using archery and magic to do most of the damage but do wish the pet to have a substantial hp buffer and be able to do some decent damage for the amount of xp it takes for the taming tree and the mastery.....

For someone like yourself that want to be a full tamer Legendary tamer, where the pet does the damage for you i can understand your woes. For someone wanting to play this way a pet should be able to with healing and great taming skills be able to take on all content of the game and that includes boss's that other people can solo with player skills. The amount of sp you will be applying to this template is colossal but i can understand the issues arising with making a pet to powerful with other skills available to a player.

How about if a Tamer could choose not to use any skills such as melee/ranged or offensive magic, No weapons or wands could be equipped or if no weapon or wand is equipped the damage of the pet could be increased dramatically, or maybe a Tamer weapon like a whip( or something less nasty!) could be used to give extra power to the tamer and stop them from doing damage with other schools? That seems an easy and quick solution i think and would make everyone happy.

Numa and Pawz like this.
  4. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

combat training at 121 is 17 max creature level, focus to have him out is 356.4 focus.

5. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

A few of us have proposed that to Chris, a leash rather than a weapon, that buffs the pet but nerfs the players combat and magic skills.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sounds like what the shepherd's crook in UO kind of represented. Certainly sounds like something that could be added to the artifact tables...

curt likes this.
  7. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Pawz
    I have a couple of friends that love taming and will be very interested in how viable it will become, and your post got me thinking...
    What specific mobs have you used for your tests ?

8. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Obsidian bear, Grand old boar, Fero red spider and Darkstar scorpion. Today I was only testing the Darkstar scorpion as he has the highest hp.

9. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

To be both clear and fair to Chris. I'm still excited, as taming is a viable option again. My version of what I would like taming to be, might not be what the devs have in mind for taming?
    But it is most certainly a useable skill tree again. :) Overall this release has me very excited! I think specializations are awesome! :)

10. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

i find this all very disappointing, I planned on going full out tamer since taming was put in years ago, but as we have all seen for every step forward that's been made in it they have taken 20 back, making that skill tree by far not comparable to any other tree.. such as fire/death you can basically solo anything in game with those masteries, I do not see why there was a need to drop hp and str/dmg from mastery on them since the hp was the only true benefit they were getting the damage/str was so minor it truelly did nothing.... all the skills but 3 in taming are passives so they get no love at all, an what other tree do you have to put so much in that you get nothing trueily reasonable. Well again I am disappointed an gots me thinking I might need to just get rid of my account not worth putting more money in.

Weins201 likes this.
  11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear enough...
    What mobs are you testing your tamed Darkstar scorpion against ?

12. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Awsome work @Pawz TY for grinding it out. But this is all focused on the Specialization.

As @Duke Gréagóir has pointed at there is so much more to the tree than Just the Specilization.

The tree itself needs the fixing before just adding that specialization which is just Combat Training 2.0

as you said you are spending millions of exp to go up one level in the specialization to get 2 HPs. It is the exact same as almost every other skill 80 is goo enough and anything over that is only an Experience sink without a viable return, which is the problem with the whole tree.

I wish I could test this out also ( cannot not do not have the exp ) But could you test it against a summons? Get specialization in one of the Spell trees and see if the summons also gets a boost? That is another of the major issues with taming - - you are just plain better off using a Summons as it cost less focus and hits just as hard.

I am still going to stick with my gunz as a true Ranger but just baffled as to why they just crap on this tree so much.

13. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

Oh got ya, I killed the mountain trolls in the hidden pass on the way to Ardois. I killed them a bunch of times, I tend to test most of my builds there. I also spent a lot of time hunting in Deep Ravenswood. Other than healing, I dropped most of my skills down to 40, so no dungeons for me and Cat (Darkstar Corpion) Hunted a few other 5 skull areas.

Numa and FrostII like this.
  14. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I literally dropped all my skills including the healing tree to test taming specialization. As a ranger, I think you will be ok with taming...as the pet can just help you out. That's how I used to play way back in the day. I'm trying to be as pure a tamer as I can now, not sure if it will work. Taming is still viable, just quite a bit less strong than some of the other skill tree's. It could be fixed with gear buffs or higher level tamable pets etc. Let's see what the devs come up with.

15. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

To be clear, taming is getting a huge boost with specializations, I can solo with just taming and healing on test, I can't do that on live. So yes it's slow but I imagine a pure earth or water build would be even slower for soloing. There are some top tier damage builds that murder everything, taming will not be part of those builds. It's still fun though and you can solo with it, just slowly.

Chatele, Numa, Brass Knuckles and 2 others like this.
  16. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Thanks whish I could help -

FrostII likes this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, based on GM skills and Specialization in taming, being able to solo at all in what I assume are high-tier scenes sounds like a win. Thats with just one specialization, so you still have another you could use to improve.

If you wanted to go tamer only, maybe you can convince Chris that there needs to be a second specialization in the taming tree, that focuses on the Combat Training and Heal Pet skills to reach that pure-pet-class status. You'd basically be giving up *everything* else, so...

18. scorn

scorn Avatar

I like this ID, you can still have gmed archery healing or something but make the skill 2 specialization hmm you my be on to something

19. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I prefer to have some combat (swords or magic) to help so I am not agreeing to limit the avatar completely just to have a pet. Right now giving up a neck slot (giving up a +10 dex necklace or +5 adv level is painful as is).

This is my testing with my pets alone tonight after the latest patches:

My related taming skills to pet power : Summoning 100 / obedience 40 / combat training 92 (+15 level) / Concentration 100 (50.3% focus mod) / Specialization 80 @ 100% taming mastery
    My other taming skills not related to pet power: taming 100 / heal 40 / resurrect 40 / refresh 40 / obedience 40

Obdisian Bear 935 hp / -218 focus drain
    - Spectral Mines skeletons
    - 4 footman / bear killed 0, dismissed at < 100 hp
    - 1 footman 581 hp / killed it with 762 hp left
    - 1 footman 581 hp & 1 archer 290 hp / killed both with 452 hp left

Darkstarr Corpion 990 hp / -285.2 focus drain
    - Spectral Mines skeletons = raw strength damage attack as undead is poison resist
    - 1 archer and 3 footman / corpion killed 0, dismissed at < 100 hp
    - 1 archer 290hp / killed it with 905 hp left
    - 1 archer 290hp & 1 footman 581 hp / killed both with 574 hp left
    - 2 footman 581 hp each / killed both with 226 hp left

I hope this helps.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Pawz

Pawz Avatar

I went back and dropped taming specialization so I could level it back up from 1. Here is some good news.

Darkstar Corpion

Lev 80 1,127 hp
    Lev 90 1,195 hp
    Lev 100 1,269 hp

So like other skills, the return for going above lev 100 is minimal. The good news is with 80 points in specialization the pet should be pretty usable.
    The bad news if you really want to go all in on taming you will spend around 100 million to get less than 200 hp for your pet.

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.