Breaking: U.S. Copyright Office considering exemption for abandoned online games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

"Last year, several organizations, including the non-profit Museum of Art and Digital Entertainment, filed a request that the U.S. Copyright Office broaden its exceptions to include online games that have been shut down by their publishers. These would include MMORPGs such as Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes. Both of those game still have passionate fanbases, but they are no longer playable due to the fact that the servers shut down several years ago."

Full article here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/online-games-dmca-exemption/amp/

Perhaps my wish for these game systems may come to fruition as they are copyrighted? Who knows ;)

2. Corv

Corv Avatar

This would be so great! It's a shame games like SWG just disappear

Verit and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh the news headlines I read yesterday evening said they missed the mark and what ever they decided in the end wasn't worth the effort.
    Didnt deed dive into it so the news I saw might be wrong.

4. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is not just about resuscitating dead games in their entirety but the systems within that are copyrighted as well. There is, for sure, intellectual property on individual components in games that cannot currently be adopted because of this, like the example I used above in my original post.

I'm not really sure how that works, however there is a strong case for a lawsuit for creating similar systems in a game, for example, allowing harvesters to pull resources from the ground on public land like in SWG or realm vs realm PVP like in DAoC and Warhammer.

5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Thanks for explaining.
    That would be really nice if something like that would be possible in the future.

6. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

If it is provable that the operation is no loner financialy solvent it absolves the games' publisher of any legal liability.

That said, the fact that these issues get raised at all goes to show the depths of player participation and involvement (with energy and effort which translate into real and tangible as well as emotional resources). Developers and publishers would do well to take these into consideration and honor them accordingly: dignity is a high bar in business but those whom make an account of it are better for it.

7. Oxblood

Oxblood Avatar

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

yeah we can expect a few emulators to pop around, great news :)

9. Birko

Birko Avatar

Thanks Alleine, that's good news news :)
    Birko exists in this EMU, but still a pup.
    You do need the original discs to join.
    If anyone is about in this SWG, give me a yell. "Birko" as per usual.
    I mapped the worlds over a decade ago. Will dig them out when I can be bothered.

Oxblood likes this.
  10. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

If I remember correctly the SWG devs had just finished work on a atmospheric flight option before the entire project was canned. The presentation of the atmospheric flight had a ship flying over Tatoine with a Star Destroyer above.

It coulda been what Battlefront was trying to be... But gud. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.