I'm SO EXCITED!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by zebmastah, Feb 19, 2018.

?

Is Shrouds of the Avatar gonna create the magic as Ultima Online did?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    34.8%
  3. Magic is related to a unique experience from early ages, which means recreating magic will be tough!

25 vote(s)
    36.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

I think it will depend on population after launch in 30 days. I played for a few hours yesterday and I didn't even come across many other players. I tried several different PVP zones hoping to find someone and I didn't. Went to some popular non pvp spots such as Owl's Head, didn't find a single other person there either. The thing about UO, is you could always run across other people almost no matter where you went. I think what gave UO so much magic, was that each time you logged in, you would come across people, you never knew what was going to happen, or what other people were going to do. Shroud is very predictable right now. . you can log in and pretty much expect to not see anyone. If you decide to grind, you can expect to make very little gold, and find extremely underwhelming loot. Rinse and repeat. The magic of UO is something I've been hoping to relive through Shroud. Right now I just don't think it's going to happen unless a TON of new people come into the game at launch. With that said. .Actual UO is going free to play pretty soon. If Shroud doesn't achieve the "UO magic" after launch. . i'll probably be trying actual UO again.

2. Volkang

Volkang Avatar

Welcome aboard! Short answer: no, this is not UO in 3D. I played UO from shortly after launch, survived Trammel, was a beta tester for Tabula Rasa, and wandered aimlessly for a long time after that. This game isn't finished, it should be remembered, and really won't be for years to come, but it does have all the makings of greatness. The more you learn, the better your skills get, it does get more engaging, but starting out is a bear. It is new enough and engaging enough to keep you going for now. My only complaint about UO pre-EA was meaningful ongoing content, but to all appearances this engine/setup is far more conducive to expansion than the primitive setup was. We'll have to see. Player housing here, though, is harder to come by and much harder to maintain than in UO, and doesn't have the wonderful customization potential the original eventually had, and that will always be a big limiting factor. Don't give up yet, and by all means let everyone know how you are doing, as many can help here and in-game, and nothing can improve without input.

3. Last Trinsic Defender

Last Trinsic Defender Avatar

It can be reduced to three words: Multiplayer-Friendmode / Solomode
    There may be some ppl in pure multiplayer around but they meet only if they want to exchange something. Otherwise they are solo or in a group of friends.
    See it as a RPG with built in multiplayer-chat.

4. Sorthious

Sorthious Avatar

For me, it is UO 3D, and not the crappy 3D they tried to put out in, I think, The Second Age. The game is like UO in some aspects and is uniquely unlike it in others. People liked UO for various different reasons, so the reasons you liked UO may be different from other people. Because of that, you may think this game is nothing like UO or you may think it's exactly like it. I enjoy the game a lot! It's very addictive and there are always goals to reach. Some people will complain about The Grind but that is one of the reasons I liked UO. Constantly grinding to make my player more powerful, my gear better,etc. Regardless of whether or not you find this game to be like UO or not, the game does have a magic of it's own. Hope you enjoy your time here. If you have and questions or need help ask me in game! Add me as a friend if you want: Sorthious in game as well.

5. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Re-creating the magic of the old Ultimas is a tall order. SotA has a certain Ultima-esque essence to it - but as for capturing the spirit (and nostalgia) of RG's games of old... well, that still remains to be seen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.