Open interview about SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Lord_Darkmoon

Yea, part of my concern have been how the term MMO has set player expectations, where the game features are now constantly compared to features of existing MMOs. As I understood it, part of the original impulse behind going with "Selective Multiplayer" as a term instead was also to not give SP RPG fans the wrong impression, to not set the wrong expectations that this would just be a typical MMO; not just in terms of hie many players would be in their game, but that the gameplay when playing solo would be as reasonably possible close to what they'd expect in a single player game. The Ultima games were referenced to -- in contrast to how the typical MMO tends to be about grinding rather than story and meaningful role-playing.

But it has set expectations, as you have MMO websites comparing it to what they expect from MMOs, and I feel keeping up with those types of public relations has impacted the development process.

2. Corv

Corv Avatar

I enjoyed the huge text in Ultima 7. I loved Ultima 7 dialogue in general, succinct but immersive. No need for wall of texts to convey a good storyline. (Still miss the narrative text -> https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...eeds-to-learn-from-ultima-vii-dialogue.88186/ )

3. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Interesting and wise words. It was a pleasure to read.

4. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Professionalism and courtesy prevailed. Good! Bravo!
    Some of the critics of LB should take LB as an example of how to behave. You don't need to belittle people to criticize the game.

5. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol. Your my favorite person on the forums.

@Lord British

My only issue with your responses is this
    " SotA has been a rare opportunity for players to see how the sausage is made from inception to completion. Because we did it in the open, starting from the design docs, SotA has actually changed far far less than most games during the development process, specifically BECAUSE we already had public expectation, which does not occur with traditional development."

I just feel this is an underlaying problem some people have with the development team.
    The crowdfunding, pitch and build method you used to do SoTa is not some ground breaking process.
    SoTa quite literally is one of thousands of games developed this way.
    The constant implying by your staff that it somehow invented the process, bothers me. It bothers me because there is standards in this form of development that people will and do hold your team to.
    I personally found SoTa to be one of the games that have changed the MOST from the start. Now im not neccisarily saying the changes were BAD, at least not all, but this general response to it, and claim, a lot of people find false. ( ImO and judging by some other posts )
    IMO I think you guys should move away from the 2 ideas that your development style was "Rare/Unique" in this day and age, and step away from claiming few changes were made from pitch to delivery.
    This will continue to lead to quotes, and posts of players that always seems to end with the response :"Don't lawyer me bro".

Other then that, thanks for making real responses on the forum.

6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Yes, and we need to be careful about using such responses this day and age as well. Some people hear that and say "hold my beer!"

7. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

Taking the new game SP, MP, MMO as a new game type I would cite Wurm Unlimited as a pioneer.

tattle cowage likes this.
  8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

"Don't quote me without citation. -- Corv."

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Buying-and-Selling-Virtual-Items-on-eBay-/10000000004609906/g.html

eBay started removing digital items in January 2007. Still worried about eBay? But they do allow digital items from Second Life, because they do not consider Second Life a game. Or are you thinking that Shroud is more Second Life than a video game and thus would be allowed on eBay as well?

What about all the different websites selling your digital items outside of these forums (that I thought was not allowed, everything must only be done in Player Marketplace on these forums)? How are those different websites different from eBay? Especially considering you take zero responsibility for RMT. If you allow it but don't properly back it with safeguards, how is any of it different from eBay, on your forums or not?

If the amount of telethons, RMT and focus on the cash shop was told up front and center on the KS page, this would not have been funded.

9. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Yes.

The only thing new I learned from LB's answer post was how to arrange an interview.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I think the point here is that Richard coined the term MMORPG. It's only natural that us peasants will get confused about such terminology as "selective multiplayer" and have different expectations of what that means, BUT doubts regarding whether or not the good Lord British has known the difference have been wildly preposterous.

Glad to finally have a well worded explanation at our disposal to counter those who accuse the developers of malfeasance or lies, which I have no doubt will continue to occur. Go forth Avatars and spread the good word!

Many thanks to Lord Darkmoon for asking those difficult questions and to Lord British for graciously and gracefully responding.

11. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

What a great response by @Lord British himself.
    Thank you for that.

I think that sums up the "disappointment" a lot of backers had. There were expectations (either made up in our own heads by nostalgia or misinterpreted in the marketing push) that just haven't come to fruition (or "changed" over time as he said).

Personally .. I was hoping for a WoW-like world (a massive world to explore with little or no load screens) with Ultima-like story with the ability to share that world with friends without the MMORPG aspects. Basically .. a game with a huge open world to explore with quests like Fallout or Skyrim within an Ultima context .. with the ability to have people join your own game .. like Diablo, Astroneer or Terraria.

Who knows .. I've been away for a while. I've been waiting for launch and here it is soon.

Impress me SOTA. Despite being a huge fan of Lord British and his work .. I can't recommend the game to non-backers yet. I just personally think they would be less than impressed.

12. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

This is just Episode 1.
    Basic programming is done so far.
    Now extension can be implemented.
    I think it will grow like WOW did ...

And don't forget: Story feedback can improve the game in a great way - therefor it needs to take a few minutes for (bug)reporting and constructive feedback :)

13. smack

smack Avatar

I kinda already knew who you were for quite some time, but it wasn't my place to disclose that. You have a right to a voice as a player and backer on this forum, and you have a right to a voice as a journalist on external sites. Whether you chose to disclose you've been a backer in your articles or disclose that you've been a journalist here, has been up to you. My only disagreement was your claim to neutrality as a journalist. I don't expect impartiality or balanced opinions here in these largely anonymous forums for players and backers.

In any case, glad to see you got your questions answered.

HammerPlayer and tattle cowage like this.
  14. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

While I appreciate Richard's response I also feel like a good chunk of questions Darkmoon asked and those of in the wing cou;dn't put so elaborately have gone unanswered that over the years we just want clear answers too. Apparently I'm part of the, "organized hate/troll campaign" surrounding the game for being critical of a game I met some great people in and fell out of grace with by partaking the reddits.
    I want this game to be a success and thrive, but the single player Ultima style gameplay needs to be addressed and the devs be honest about it. This is a MMO and the SP is an MMO without the online experience. If they'd just say so I think a lot of the "trolls" would move on.

I know I've also said some much harsher things on the reddits which I believe or I wouldn't have posted them.

My main point I wanna say is this being a Kickstarted and backer based game it has more scrutiny and at every turn a non statement becomes paranoid delusions about the worst case scenarios. I think as a community we want and are deserved some clarity from the devs about the direction this and future projects are going especially if as alluded before EP2 is dependent on a crowdfunded effort.

HammerPlayer, Jamet, Jens_T and 4 others like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Told you not to give up, that you'd get your answer, that you'd find the truth :)

HammerPlayer and tattle cowage like this.
  16. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Dear Lord Darkmoon: I'd offer this ray of sunshine. You have more than 14,000 'likes' here. I cant say that 14,000 people have ever liked anything I've done!

17. Last_Crusader

Last_Crusader Avatar

It's been how long? 5 years. "Basic programming is done so far" ... that just feels like the "it's in alpha" excuse.

It is "launching" (whatever that means) in 29 days. The game is complete to Portalarium. It is what is is. The game on launch has to impress the backers that haven't played it every day (or like me, left, waiting for it to be "complete") and it has to impress new players who maybe never heard of Ultima or Lord British. Can it do that?

Like I said, I've been away for a while .. I hope it impresses me. As a fan of Ultima, I really do. And I hope it impresses the general public enough to check it out for it to be considered successful AND expand and extend. Otherwise all this has become is a small group of people paying a smaller group of people to develop a digital playground for them to play in.

HammerPlayer, MrBlight, Jamet and 3 others like this.
  18. GraveDncer

GraveDncer Avatar

Well done sir

19. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I wish that I could Like this post more than once.

HammerPlayer and Kain Darkmoor like this.
  20. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Man I badly wanted to stay out of this topic but I have to chime in here.
    I see your point. But Blizzard had always more money and a bigger team.
    We have the bad habit of ignoring that 12.5 Mio in founding is nothing. Its a joke compared to what big company's burn on IP and production.
    So what are we expecting? I expected too much as well for a very long time, ignoring that I actually like playing the game and fixing on my personal expectations instead. Now I am focusing on what I like and I think we got a pretty darn good game for 12.5 Mio.
    Beside, SC is the proof that even 12 times the money doesnt guarantee a smooth and calm development ^^

We have to face it. The game is what it is. R51 will bring the last round of patches and some kind of surprise as the meteor indicates and that will be the game we get.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.