What Does Your Name Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alleine Dragonfyre, Feb 27, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

As SotA was my first MMO, I had to think of some user name. No back story came to mind, so being a medical professional I delved into history and found Asclepius, the mythical Greek god of healing and son of Apollos. It seems to have stuck, so I’m keeping it.

2. danjacobsmith

danjacobsmith Avatar

My name in game is Salubrious. It basically means healthy, and I'm a healer.

I usually use this name when playing a healer or regeneration like character.

3. Mapper

Mapper Bug Hunter

I've always used Mapper since UO times. But it was actually my third character created. Called Mapper because he would scribe maps and sell them back to the NPCs in Britain - a good way to make money ages ago!

4. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Well @Amber Raine goes back and forth with Silverwood or Platinumwood on the airwaves. I can kind of laugh about that. I can see how "Twinkle Toes" could fit, but I find it hard or hilarious (depending on your point of view) to envision my 6'4" 260 frame doing so! (Not a word out of you @Cordelayne !!)

5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

My name means if you spell it wrong, I probably don't want to waste my time with you, and trades are really fast to sign :) .

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Barugon

[​IMG]

And my alt, Rodan

[​IMG]

7. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Say what Twinkle Toes? ;) You know I love you, even though you pull for the wrong New York football program. Having said that brother, like you my first online MMO experience was with the Sierra Network (later became the Imagination Network) and their graphical MUD called Shadows of Yserbius. :D

In response to the OP, Cordelayne, is actually my Gaelic bastardization of the French,"Couer De Lion" which means Lionheart. In my real world experiences I have seen first hand that the strongest person can have a pusillanimous character and the meekest individual, the most valiant heart. So to be called Lionheart or to be "lionhearted", is a most magnanimous thing indeed. Of course I'm calling myself this so it doesn't hold quite the same weight as being "dubbed" such a name! :rolleyes::D

8. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Everyone thinks I really like internet memes, but it's actually a reference to "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins where he originally coined the term "meme". It was made to resemble the word gene, because he saw memes as ideas that competed for space in the human mind, insofar as they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures. So I created the tag devourerofmemes to represent my desire to constantly take in new ideas and let them compete. The name was never taken for characters, emails or accounts so it's pretty much my username everywhere now.

9. Parson Barr

Parson Barr Avatar

Parson Barr is a character from a book I've outlined. He's a conman who often ends up doing good when trying to serve his own needs.

10. istyrl

istyrl Avatar

COEUR De Lion! :p, love it and it is indeed very french , family names evolve quite often like this with time :)

11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Thanks friend! Cailean, which is the Gaelic for my real life name, was already taken so I made up Cordelayne! :D

12. Tailz

Tailz Avatar

Well...

First name: Tailz is real life nick I had in high school.
    Last name: Suvorov comes from a historic Russian figure:

"Alexander Vasilyevich Suvorov was a Russian military leader, considered a national hero. He was the Count of Rymnik, Count of the Holy Roman Empire, Prince of Italy, and the last Generalissimo of the Russian Empire. "

So that's the story :)

13. Corv

Corv Avatar

I love crows (so smart and fascinating), the comic and the movie The Crow. Corv is just short for Corvus, which means Crow.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
  14. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

I go by Orion Dhrannis in-game.
    Orion because I like the name (Orion Nebula)
    Dhrannis is randomly generated and I also google the word to make sure it doesn't mean anything bad!

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Rufus D'Asperdi is the name of my longest played D&D Character*. He is a Paladin of Pelor of Flan ancestry born in Asperdi, the Capital of The Sea Barons in the islands just off the East Coast of Flanaess. He has travelled over much of Oerth from Rokugan in the west to the Dragon Isles in the East... He is a Knight of Furyondy, and was once betrothed to the eldest daughter of the King of Furyondy, until she ran off to another dimension... He now resides on the Eastern border of the Principality of Ulek, at the mouth of the Jewel River in the Barony of Candlespire (Ruled by Baron Yevod Pamorski) where he commands a force of some 150 heavy Cavalry... All Paladins... attached to the Temple of Pelor built there by Calvin, the Singing Profit of the Dawn in defense of the Barony and the Principality from the Orcs of the Pomarj and their tyrannical leader The Despot Turrosh Mak.

Hey... you asked. :)

As Sir Frank stated earlier in this thread, in New Britannia we are ourselves... and I am Myself... but I choose the persona of Rufus under which to live my life in Novia.

*Rufus was rolled up in 1994... I still play with the same group of people (almost) every Monday night, though the Original Greyhawk Campaign has been on hiatus for a decade or so.

16. KhumashGor

KhumashGor Avatar

Khumash-Gor is a character from Ultima 8. The Avatar must dispel his restless spirit before continuing on the quest. I have used Khumash, with and without the -Gor, ever since.

17. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Back when I played Pool of Radiance on my Commodore 64 - I needed to name my party of adventurers - this was one of the names I invented and used for my party and has stuck with me over the (many) years

18. Echondas

Hey @Paulie Walnuts pick me up some hot capicola on your way back to Obsidius? Oh yeah - don’t forget the cannoli!

19. Echondas

I always thought this when I saw your name but I was like - nah, nobody here knows what NUMA is except maybe Chris and his team :)

20. Echondas

I think @Bread Vendor eoukd appreciate this!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.