The Return of Lord Bri... Tech Talk!

Discussion in 'Recurring Player Events' started by Violation Clauth, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

No no no, although still one of my favorite all-time songs (not just for video games) that's not what this is about.

I just got done solidifying date/time for the next Tech Talk with @Atos
    Tuesday the 27th at 4pm NBT ( see more time zones )

So, quick Q&A out of the way: yes it's been a while... yes people have PM'd, emailed, and whispered me about it... yes Chris has been willing... I've been busy, sorry guys. Yes, we will be going over an engineers view of what's going on with the game right now and in the near future.

Now that that's done, here are some of the past performances by the communities own Dippy Bird controller and the most backward sota named person around:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_n6cBNlejzLPrEIFDZK8i_lcnZe7FuNO (playlist of previous tech talks)

If there is a specific engineering topic you'd like me to try to throw at Chris, please feel free to comment below.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  2. Jack SinAssist

Jack SinAssist Avatar

Welcome back to the game! Woot! More tech talks!

Violation Clauth and 3devious like this.
  3. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

Will dexterity get buffed? Healing skill based on dex? Will crit be readjusted so higher dex and crit chance doesn't get penalized anymore.

Violation Clauth likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Metrics.
    I love it for my own work, but I also love it for these types of games.
    So some deep math about some metrics and how Chris utilizes them for balance and tracking etc would be a fun topic to watch, well, at least for me.
    Like whenever he does a heatmap, or those Damage per Skill, or such things then those have been super popular.
    Artifact drops metrics for instance would have most elite veterans' knickers in a twitch.

5. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

What is the logic for having the Fire Elf mages in the rise having +55 death resistant buffs?

With the changes to mechanical mobs being resistant to death and fire, is this balance in the rise intentional? Shouldn't the fire mages be resistant to fire? I'm fine with death resistant on mobs, but this one seems out of place and was only put in when death mages were ruling the world in earlier releases.

Flesh mobs should be able to have their life drained from them.

6. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

+1 for bandaging or similar type skill that uses dexterity!

7. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

*hint* > Those elf mages use death spells as well. Their resistance is just like they had a 110 attunement which is not THAT good comparatively to the best necromancers. But I could have missed something there, of course. < *hint*

8. OxNull

OxNull Avatar

It seems like a cheap fix. They use life spells, death spells, fire spells, and death resistance is the chosen buff they get? I'm just say +55 resistance is a lot and makes a huge difference in the effectiveness of your deck. It can be there, but let it be removed somehow with a skill like torpid torment. Or add some fire debuff to them. And especially since that +55 death resistance was implemented when death mages were a lot more op, death mages have been toned down since then. This resistance buff should be revisisted.

9. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hey guys, I'm taking notes on this and I think I'll do a combat series until release. Next video will specifically target information on specializations and resistances. The following will be in stats and skill levels. The third in deck building design vs reality.

Already talked a bit with @Chris about this at the end of the stream after we went offline. He's onboard.

Thoughts? Do these three topics cover the majority of what people discussed here? If not, what should I slip into this agenda?

Thanks!

Bow Vale, Spoon and Armitage_ like this.
  11. the Lacedaemonian

the Lacedaemonian Avatar

I would love to have him screencasting sections of code relating to stats and skill levels, specifically, as he explained a little behind how he chose to design such things. Like, challenges that he had to be aware of when implementing the way dexterity, strength, intelligence work. Those seems like really awesome insights to have from the mouth of the man behind it all.

Specializations might be too complicated to get into that level of detail, looking at actual code, I mean. But I could be wrong.

I can't wait for whatever you do though. Now more than ever, I'd like to better understand the coding behind the scenes so that I can better find bugs/flaws and report them sooner.

12. Armitage_

Armitage_ Avatar

Welcome back!

This sounds like a great plan. Starting with specializations and resistances makes sense, this is front of mind for a lot of players!

Bow Vale and Violation Clauth like this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Aaaaaah how did I miss this!>!>!>?!?!?!

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

Very glad you will be doing these again. Breaks and life are understandable. I look forward to seeing them.

Side note: I 1000% agree about that LB song. It's totally not my genre of music (hey, I'll be 60 this year so give me a break). But it's hilarious, relevant and incredibly well done. And LB loved it too from what I remember. It won a contest I believe.

Bow Vale and Violation Clauth like this.
  15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

We did that in the past but he didn't have a whiteboard because the meeting room, his office, and the leads office were all taken by other meetings ... the meeting room was initially supposed to be available but I consider this a deprioritized stream that I wouldn't want them to change anything for so I've asked them to not go out of their way to make time for me.

16. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Yes, Glad these at back, people do like numbers and Chris is good with numbers....

17. Koss

Koss Avatar

Absolutely awesome video. Thank you very much! I hope you can have a few more before launch!

18. Koss

Koss Avatar

What would be really awesome is to some way incorporate these and other informative videos onto the launch screen.

Communication is always a good thing!

I know that if i saw this on the launch screen I would load it up on the other monitor immediately!

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

It's impossible to know who's best to add to a launch screen stream list and there have been a few people in the history of this community who started great and turned rather sour. I love the idea but I also fear the reality... not sure if I support this one but I don't oppose it either. Hope that makes sense.

20. Koss

Koss Avatar

I'll state it like this.. If I wasn't reading the forums I would have never seen your post!

If I saw 3 different YouTube videos on the side of the launch screen, guess what? I'm clicking on it because it would be new information pertinent to the game.

What better way to communicate new information via the launch screen?

majoria70 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.