High durability loss as of today

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bow Vale, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I am very careful about getting hit and try not to, mainly because of durability loss and also as I'm wearing a few artifacts and i don't wan to see them damaged. For about the last week i have played a lot and i have had zero durability loss on my favourite lich ring, and that's 5+ hours a day of combat or more. However today, playing for an hour, getting hit no more than usual i have lost 2 points of durability( seems i lost 2 yesterday as well), my armours have also lost lots and so to my weapon...

Also i have a nice new crossbow i only bought other day, its had maybe less use than my lich ring even, and i only use on charged shots and some stacked rapid fire. That's has lost 8 secondary durability since i bought it which was i think at the weekend or maybe even this week.

Anyone else noticing a higher than normal durability loss since yesterday?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    Numa likes this.
  2. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Have you checked to make sure your tools are intact? I am not completely certain, but it seems like damage to items is spread out evenly across ALL equipped and unbroken items. This includes tools. If I have 2 or 3 tools that are broken, I see a very noticeable rise in the rate at which my armor and weapons are getting damaged.

Numa and Bow Vale like this.
  3. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Thx for the tip, that's a terrible bug if so. No i haven't any broken tools, one was low 17 or so and was giving a warning but nothing broken.

I have noticed my issue as i have been constantly checking to see if my lich ring has been getting damaged for the last week. It hasn't, but when i logged on today it was at 48/50 and now it has gone down to 46/50. I'm hardly getting hit as i am a very mobile archer with lots cc and i also use shield of air so no damage normally gets though. 2 points in an hour of play means something is up for me at least.

4. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

I’ve noticed something similar with my shield. It’s durability has been getting hit very hard the last couple days that I have noticed, to the point where I’ve lost nearly 15 max durability points.

CatherineRose likes this.
  5. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Yikes. And no deaths? That is bad.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Some mobs have special attacks that can hit durability... its intended in an attempt to get gear rolling in the economy.

However as it is right now, it looks like yet another penalty for adventuring, like death decay and being unable to flag PvP to fight PvP players and not every opportunist PvE gank group that comes for you stealthed and hit you from behind while you're busy with mobs.

I'm for a hard game... but since we have easy oracle protected mode, it don't make sense to overload us with more penalty. Our game is poised to be PvE friendly...

7. eli

eli Avatar

as a crafter, i think gear should last maybe 2-3 months including coto repairs, so this is exciting :)

As an adventurer, i repair equipment about once per hour even though i'm ranged.. even if it's already at max durability i do it all at once.. with this strategy i don't think i'll ever wear out my non-artifacts.

8. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

It was a change in R50 or R51. Durability drops are more infrequent, but drop higher. The average over time is intended to be the same.

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That you mention it I remember Chris explaining this somewhere.

10. Oeneusc

Oeneusc Avatar

I’m a mage that wears semi-heavy armor when soloing. I gather all the woodland creatures around me for rings of fire and corpse explosions. I take a lot of hits and the durability loss has been very noticeable.

I believe that artifacts can’t be repaired with cotos or kits. If I was lucky enough to have a ring of lich kind it would never leave town. I’d like to have one for my build (to use) but at 1 million on the AH that Porsche is staying in the garage.

I understand we have to keep the crafter economy rolling but this is another adventuring penalty in loot-light word. It can take up to 500,000 gold to buy one of Elrond’s finest necromancy wands. Why use this in battle knowing it has a limited useful life. I’d rather just level up and use broken sticks and almost passable gear.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and King Robert like this.
  11. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Why Liberalism does not work, viz., because a rational actor does what is in his best interest most likely, over time.

End decay and armor/weapon durability loss substituting better gear as avatars get getter crafting skills. Don’t destroy the Ferrari f40, rather engineeer the Bugatti Veyron!

Greyfox, Oeneusc and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  12. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

It's a really big problem they've had for quite a while... and quite frankly its only gotten worse with the change to how artifacts are repaired. It's simply too expensive to adventure with nice things which in turn drops the demand for those nice things. And all of this boils down to how miserable it is to produce nice things in the lottery system that is crafting. A shame really. This underlying cancer really needs to be addressed.

13. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Its just the last 2 days i have noticed with my ring its been taking a beating and i don't hardly ever get hit, for a week before i had been wearing and zero loss. This is what made me notice really.

I am not against durability loss as we do need to keep the economy moving, however for expensive artifacts and the repair with a coto which i think is still in but with diminishing returns? I repaired over 30 of mine when they made the essence changes, each with a coto because they said they couldn't be repaired again, said ring had only one 2nd durability loss, and then they again allow. That's fine with me but i wouldn't have repaired 30+ of mine if i had known and now have one major repair on that ring and I'm very careful with it. The first durability can be repaired with essence which is fine but the 2nd durability is what i worry about.

If someone has recently repaired 2nd durability with a coto, is it diminishing returns or more costly?

Yes it back in its bag, only to be bought out on sunny days which is sad as i had a nice build going with it.

For every 10 points of primary durability lost , you lose 1 secondary. I also used this strategy for a while, repairing on every primary loss and thought that was helping. I found it didn't in the end, maybe it does now but keep checking to see if the above 10/1 is still working.

Not sure what this means really. I don't want durability drops being on rng at all if that's the case. Damage either drops it or not, it shouldn't be that one day it doesn't drop it doing x,y,z, and on another it drops markedly by doing x.y.z this is not reality or fun as you don't know where you are at, if I'm reading it accurately.

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't recall the specifics, or where I saw it. I can't find it in Chris's blog, so it was probably either in the discussion thread, or a telethon.

15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Found it!

Oeneusc and Bow Vale like this.
  16. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Wait....... whaaa !

Wtf do tools that sit in your pack have to do with (in common with) your armor degrading quicker ????
    What sense does that make ?

Please do some tests, @Nikko .... That can't be right.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2018
    Deadly Habit, Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Pretty sure it is. To test , I'd need to break several of my tools. Maybe someday I'll check it out with some crap gear.

18. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

If COTOs had a higher or at least more consistent drop rate and weren't dependent on a balance of players buying and selling them and the devs adjusting rates accordingly (manipulating the player economy) I'd agree. The way I see it now is it's not a truly player run economy especially with COTOs and adjusting drop rates according to average prices players sell them for or the amount in the market etc. An artificial scarcity made by manipulated drop rates is far from a free market run by the players, it just pushes them to the cash shop to get more to use or sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.