Archery Auto-Attack: why does it sometimes not initiate?

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Kara Brae, Mar 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

My alt Sara Brae is learning Archery. She tried out Auto-Attack for the first time today in a Forest Siege against the low level waves of Cultists. Sometimes she automatically attacked approaching mobs (which is cool, they can't sneak up on her), but sometimes she doesn't and I have to manually fire off a glyph.

Is this intended behavior (so players won't just go afk and continue fighting)?

Numa, Montaigne and Leelu like this.
  2. belijaal

belijaal Avatar

You need a target for auto-attack to work. Sometimes you target mobs approaching you automatically and sometimes you don't. Then you need to tab on a target or use a glyph to start auto-attacking. There's room for improvement when it comes to targeting.

3. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Soft bow string wax should do the trick and never ever dry fire.:p

Kara Brae likes this.
  4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

So much mis information - you do NOT have to target, you are fighting back because you are facing the target. It needs to be in your LOS for auto attack to auto defend. OR you can hit your next target key and then you will auto attack the thing that is in range but not in your LOS.

Yes it is a tool to prevent AFK fighting but if you are in a corner it works just fine so another mechanic implemented that fails to address problem.

Targeting is still massively flawed as you can have two target in your LOS and you can even have one selected but the game decides that the one closer to you is the one you will hit. A good shot can shoot over or around targets and hit something behind it. Been this way forever and not going to be fixed because it does not affect players who use mele weapons. Been Broken FOREVER.

Again Auto attack is NOT auto defend unless you are facing the target and it is in you LOS. That is why you see it work some times and not others.

Kara Brae and jammaplaya like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

If you have something else targeted then you won't automatically target an enemy. Things that you can have targeted are bodies, resource nodes, levers, webs, breakable walls, etc. Pressing escape may allow auto-targeting. If not then pressing the Target Next hotkey or double clicking an enemy works.

Kara Brae likes this.
  6. Alrik Doom

Alrik Doom Avatar

There is a soft target and hard target, soft target is when you face a mob but it is not locked on, if you turn away you loose the target, the hard target is when you double click the mob or use next target, you notice the difference in the target color, this target will stay even if you turn away but will turn whitish if out of LOS!

Barugon, Spoon, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I personally don't understand why double clicking on things like bodies, levers, webs, etc needs to set them as your current target.

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

It is a pain in the neck, especially since double-clicking doesn’t always “take” and I have to perform several double-clicks to get it to work. It’s one of the “known issues”.

Barugon and Montaigne like this.
  9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I was gone in Europe for 3 weeks. In R50, they had fixed targeting and auto attack, it was working perfectly. When I got back in R51 I have found it broke with bows. My targets keep switching again (probably to the closest target as say 3 skels are running towards me and Im shooting the archer in the back) and I keep having to tab target to get back to the mob I had already dropped half thier hit points on. I also keep finding the issue you are talking about, all of a sudden I have nothing targeted but Im hitting them with my main skills and auto attack is not (and then I have to smash tab a few times to get that one targeted). On screen the difference between having them targeted and not is just a little bit more red on the target and its hard to catch now. Thats what I have found in R51.

I hit The Rise for the first time in a month and this all was a real pain in the buttox when you have 3 mages on you at once, almost got one down and then your target switches to a new one (and the old one heals right as you almost dropped them).

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.