The Race to Home Ownership

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PureEffort, Mar 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

PureEffort likes this.
  2. PureEffort

PureEffort Avatar

Ooops!

I was informed that forum rules state I can't post with multiple account, even if they are from a different game account (apparently a couple of exceptions exist, such as a guild leadership account, group/marketing accounts, and you'd still have to inform them of the account). Since this conversation is already going, they are allowing it to continue, but I can't keep posting as PureEffort as a general second character here.

All further posts will be as @Vladamir Begemot, but for clarity, when I post in this thread I'm playing as the new character still.

Sorry for the mix up!

3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Ok I have a few minutes.

Ardoris: Oracle, Capt. Cudgel, the workers at the bar keep saying "No thanks, I'm just browsing" when I ask if I can help them. I'll bug that later.

Starting a seige at 11 minutes into playtime with 12,087 gold, 6 copper, 4 granite blocks, 4 maple tree bark, 1 sooty bark, 9 obsidian chips, 41 metal scrap.

And I died! First time in this playthrough. Nasty wizardzes! And they kind of came in a flood of about 6, then got caught again as I retreated. I haven't had food yet, so that probably would have helped.

Total time in siege 14 minutes. This is a bit of a waste of time, but I ran back into Ardoris to see the take rather than continuing on to other locations.

12,219 gold (+132), +210 in trash loot, 1 iron ore, 1 maple, 1 pine, 1 Pine Resin(!), 1 Pine Tree Bark, 3 cotton, 3 silver, recall scroll, so +500 conservatively. So all told, 842 for 14 minutes.

Wasted 10 minutes by inefficiently running between vendors, starting catacombs again at 36. Got into Solania Catacombs at 44. And wound up in the Spectral Mines. I have never been here with any character. Ok, those guys were hard. Back up, back up!

So if I'm going to be in Solania Catacombs, I really need to eat. Died for a second time tonight, and it was close enough that I wouldn't have if I'd eaten. Time to stop getting in over my head (and wasting time) or bring some food along.

Back in Soltown at 1:07. 641g in equipment sales, 129 in misc. Finishing up at 1:12.

Started:
    Total Time: 6:22
    Gold: 11807
    Weight: 27.6/105.5
    Str: 20, Dex: 33, Int: 10
    AL/PL: 27/26

Today's Time: 1:12
    Total Time: 7:34
    Gold: 14386
    Weight: 25.7/108.5
    Str: 22, Dex: 34, Int: 10
    AL/PL: 28/27

I've got 5 copper and 3 silver on me, and am saving up in the bank in order to get better prices in Bastions Point, 4 maple tree bark, 6 maple wood, 3 pine wood, about 700 in materials, bring me to about 15,000.

I have started stashing iron and metal scrap and bought 40 coal to make wall torches.

Numa, Rentier, Spoon and 1 other person like this.
  4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I decided to try the Soltown Sewers loop for an hour. I've never really Grinded in Shroud, perhaps this will be it!

After doing a loop and going back in, it appears I'm too fast, so I go to Solania. Having picked up some food before starting, I can now stay alive fighting there.

Then I accidentally go up to Solania. I might as well sell off the trash, I'm close to full anyway.

Foolishly, I manage to run around the entire map the wrong way, instead of just going straight up to where all the stores are.... Sigh.

Back in I go. Not feeling like the extra difficulty is comparable to extra reward. I do always enjoy exploring though.

And I found the Ardoris sewers. Why not? My scientific experiment is screwed up for the evening anyway.

Hit up the PV. Found some really underpriced stuff, Item of Unlearning for 1200 (3 COTOs normally), Hardened Leather 3 for 240, one piece could be 780g considering some of the crazy beetle prices, 4 timber for 80, should be 60 each.

Back on the vendor they go, still under priced because I want them to move for certain. Item of Unlearning for 6999, Hardened Leather for 999 total, Timber for 180.

That took a chunk of change, but you have to spend gold to make gold!

Siege. Doing awesome for a while, then the cabalist showed up, and everyone shot me with slow arrows. And I died. Even my ghost is slow.

Did an efficient, "I finally know what I'm doing" loop of Soltown Catacombs. Seemed like I got 1000g +, I'll do a better job on the next loop itemizing.

This entire time I've been missing the iron due to Night Vision!

I was a little fast, so dropped thorugh to Solania and back. Slow walk home.

I made 2115g in 35 minutes, +12 ore, at least 450g worth, so 2600g roughly.

I had a good time in the sewer complex. Found and entered a couple bugs in the Solania ones. Now I have a good idea where the Daemon is. I might do it a few more times before moving on, but not tonight.

Skeleton encounter, avoided and harvested. Wolf encounter, barely escaped with some cotton and gold.

Went to Ardoris. Made 5 iron ingots, used 4 to make 2 Wall Torches. Listed on on the PV for 379g. If that sells it's about 90g better than selling the ore itself.

Started:
    Total Time: 7:34
    Gold: 14386
    Weight: 25.7/108.5
    Str: 22, Dex: 34, Int: 10
    AL/PL: 28/27

Today's Time: 2:35
    Total Time: 10:09
    Gold: 19332 + 650g worth of mats
    Wealth Change: +5596
    Weight: 46.8/112.5
    Str: 24, Dex: 36, Int: 10
    Ranged: 71
    AL/PL: 29/28

And that's not counting the wild cards of about 8,000g worth of items on the PV. Fingers crossed.

Numa, Vaentorian, Rentier and 2 others like this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Random musing while thinking about this. If I weren't already using the Meretz app, I'd obviously be using it for this account, and encourage new players to do so.

If the person using it hits their Obsidian Potion once per 3 days, that's basically 3500g - 362 listing fee/3 days, or 1000 per day.

Couple that with the Oracle, and you've basically got 1500g per day of free goldflow.

Lets say the deed winds up costing 300,000 gold, you could have in 200 days with almost zero effort. Daily Oracle + list your potions a few times a month on at Owl's Head.

Numa likes this.
  6. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'm mostly surprised you can do a siege up to the point cabalists appear, at AL29. I wasn't able to get that far until the high 60s.

7. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

I think, once you master the PV system, and sell to other people's vendor orders, things really start to change. It just takes a wee while to clue onto it. :)

So I've probably been averaging about an hour a day (if even that, there's been plenty of oracle runs lol!) for about a month, a month ago is around about when I really started playing (sans questing, saving that for later and offline), I had next to no money (like, less than 50g). And a month is about how long it took me to afford my vendor @ 20k and most of that work was done on overworld encounters. I ended up with just over 25k and I've spent a bunch on crafting and skills. So it seems to me, from your awesome adventures, it looks like you sort of start on about 1k per hour up to 2k and then average about 2.5k /hour maybe?

Also, I crafted a bunch and have mats I never sold. I stuck to selling gold ore and in the end got rid of resin and bark too.

It took me about 6 months to get a tiny log cabin in UO, so let's say you're making 2k per day per month for an hour's playtime (on average, maybe some days you don't play but crank out 4 hours on a Saturday for instance), I guess you could make around 360k in that 6 months... A lot more depending on mats drops too I guess.

Up to about 450k might not be an unreasonable number to be able to make...

Or, if you're like me, doing Oracle runs and just gathering/crafting, selling some mats... Earning close to 1k a day on average, that's about a year to hit 300k. And that's without your Obsidian potion tactic, I'm not sure what that is... :)

8. moxiepilot

moxiepilot Avatar

Can you explain the obsidian potion thing you mentioned to make money?

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

The Obsidian Potion is something you can buy from the Obsidian Alchemist for 1 coto. You can also get these for 3,000 points in the Meretz health app as a reward for walking/running with your cell phone.

The potion can be anywhere from 6? different ones like 25% less damage to your armor, 25% less reagent costs, more speed, etc.

Look here for more information - https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?p=79201

@moxiepilot @Astirian

Astirian and moxiepilot like this.
  10. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I was not able to survive a siege by myself until level 86. Cabalists still kick my butt. It is all with what skills you select. I was selecting the wrong ones. :D

Edit rephrased to read easier.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  11. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

I´m able to get about 12k/hours selling loot/resources

100.000 in game gold worth $15

A taxed row lot costs: $40 or 266,6k IGG: 22 hours of grinding;

piece of cake!!

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  12. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

What an incredible experiment. I admit that I'm learning a lot by reading this. Please do continue it until you reach your goal. I agree that this is amazing information for new players!

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

As @Duke Gréagóir said you can get an Obsidian Potion from Meretz, but it's the "Choice" bundle. Just throw that bundle on a vendor for 3500g and it's essentially free gold, once every 3 days.

I'm just in the fray, not doing any real damage. Mostly down in the middle, and if a bunch of cabalists come out at once I'm screwed.

Please tell me more!

Thanks! I'll be writing what I learn up in a guide over the next week or two as well. Steam needs a guide that isn't 2 years old! :D

14. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

So, you're part of a group? Because soloing a siege up to the point where cabalists appear 50 levels before most people seem to is the part I think we're confused by.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  15. Joe Zhudarak

Joe Zhudarak Avatar

@Vladamir Begemot : I usually kill humanoids (elves, skeletons, bandits) in t5 areas, sell the weapons, salvage the elves bows and swords, gather beetle carapace/obsidian meat/suet... and sell the artifacts eventually...

the average is about 12k/ hour, but some items are hard to sell (arties for example) but eventually someone will buy it in my vendor

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The different sides of the siege usually fight eachother in the middle.

Even a newcomer can run in and try to time some last poke at someone really hurt already.
    Or just try to keep out of range and loot the bodies wherever they fall...

Kara Brae and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  17. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I'm using the bow, and able to kite the melee and deal with 2 or maybe 3 yellow archer/mages at a time if I focus and take them down quickly.

I'm not trying to "do" the siege, just kill who I can and loot. If things get out of control I try to make it to the mercenaries for help. The only times I have died seems to be right when a Cabalist shows up, I think there is a big spawn surge of enemies, and when I'm in the middle when that happens I'm screwed.

18. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Huh. So, are you not dealing with the siege engineers at all? When I was Al 30ish, those guys were red.

19. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I guess that's where I'm confused. My understanding is that cabalists don't show up until all the engineers are defeated, so I assumed you were clearing the catapults.

20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

@Cora Cuz'avich no, runawaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

But those times the Cabalists showed up there's other players off on the edges destroying things. It's a rampage I can see from a distance, while I stay busy messing around down in the middle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.