Mining skill and ore yield

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Wazir, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wazir

Wazir Avatar

Well Met travellers this is my first post!

I was wondering If higher mining skill increase your chance at getting more ore. I am not talking about meticulous only about the mining gathering innate skill, Sometimes you get 1 ore from a node sometimes 2,3(not including met). Lots of people say higher mining increases your chance to get 3 ores without meticulous.
    so in a scenario where both miners have 0 % meticulous collection chance, one has 80 mining skill other one has 100 mining skill they both hit 10 nodes who gathers more ore?
    I have been asking this question like for couple weeks one half says base mining skill only effects the chance to successfully harvest and the crit chance other half says it also increases your ore yield.
    Also does higher mining impact your chance to get tin tung nickel?

An official answer would be great thanks in advance!

2. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

Now would be the time to test it out, with 100% unlearn. ;)

I'd say anecdotally it increases your success, crit chance and yield for t2 materials. Also anecdotal, but I did notice a pretty significant difference between 80 skill and 100. I've even debated taking it to 110 or higher, but I'd love to know if anyone else has done that and what they found as well. Couldn't say if it increases the t1 ore yield though.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Merrik and Kaffien like this.
  3. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

it does in fact help.. especially with the "secondary" mats... with that said... i am only 64 in my mining main skill and i get 3 or 4 ore per node consistently and have gotten as much as 7 or 8 ore all without maticulace

4. TranZdog

TranZdog Avatar

What??

Say that again please....

5. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

meticulous collection allows for greater yield.. what he asked is does the main skill help get more ore without meticulous.. i said yes... i get 3 and 4 ore per node without meticulous and sometimes 7 or 8...
    again... without getting a meticulous collection...

so to put it simply ... yes it does......

Rear Admiral likes this.
  6. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Hmm, I have 100 in Mining and I never get 7 or 8 ores from a node without meticulous. I'd love to know which ore nodes you are mining to get that!

7. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

same here... I'm 130 in mining... I would love to know how it's done... thank you very much...

Mac2 likes this.
  8. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

it was iron ore and in spectral mines.. only happened twice once for 7 and once with 8 ore... both times in spectral.. usely the most i get are 4 from one node without meticulous.. so i KNOW there is some randomness but at level 1 - 40 i only got one ore from a node

9. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

weird... spent months in Spectral Mines... most I've gotten is 3... I must be doing something wrong... so I guess having a lower level is better... o_O arggh... all my efforts in leveling mining up is all for naught... :(

TranZdog likes this.
  10. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I have mined in excess of 100k ore and the base skill sets the chance to successfully mine the node, but it doesn't affect how much ore you get.

Rear Admiral, Mac2 and Merrik like this.
  11. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

I’m surprised too that there are supposedly nodes that give 7 or 8 ore per hit. With my mining skills somewhere between 80 and 100 my impression was that depending on the difficulty of the node/scene the gained resources rise but out of my perspective in T5 it is somewhere between 1-3 with I guess 2.x as average value while in T1 the average value is close to 1 ore per hit.

Mac2, Kara Brae and Merrik like this.
  12. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

NEVER for naught!!! my skills are much higher now than back then... just saying i never got more than 1 ore before 40.. only after... which leads me to believe the base skill helps... i didnt build the lower skills untill i hit 60 in the main skill.

Again, concerning the 7 and 8 ore from one node without a meticulous, this has only happened to me twice since persistence (one time 7 one time 8 ore) once several months ago and than yesterday... just mentioning it to stress that there is a chance that what i have observed in getting more ore as you gain could just be the result of random chance and flukes... but i do get 1 - 4 ore quite consistently without meticulous.. i am not a miner.. i am just a character who happens to mine.. my buddy @Elnoth is a miner... he does it A LOT!.. and he assures me that my observations are wrong.. it isn't the base mining skill that determines the amount of ore you get... i have to concede that to him and other miners if they agree with him... this is only my observations.

PS: it is entirely possible that those two events were a bug

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  13. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

oh it isn't that it gives 7 - 8 ore I'm just saying it has happened :D and it is entirely possible that my observation of gaining more ore as i grew in main skill could have been my graduating from t3 Owls Nest to the t5 main mines.... i never thought of that

14. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I've never gotten more than 3 from one hit and I've spent a ludicrous amount of time mining. Sounds like a bug if it was anything.

Mac2 likes this.
  15. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think there were times early on (certainly before persistence, but perhaps soon after also) where you could get 7-8 ores per node... before they changed the yields.

But, my guess is that your recent 7 or 8 ores per node occurrences were actually meticulous (criticals) where the meticulous were "instant" meticulous swings and you didn't notice it. Even if you don't have the meticulous skill, you can get a meticulous chance with just a mining pick having that stat (Artisan or Prosperity) or when using the Obsidian potions.

Merrik likes this.
  16. Merrik

Merrik Bug Hunter

Are you sure this happens because the people that were that were there the other day when i hit 7 said you don't get both.... it was a critical.... and regardless of skepticism voiced by others, there was iron ore, iron ore, iron ore (2), and iron ore (3)... i said "ooo i got a critical meticulous!" and was promptly told "umm no you didn't that isn't possible..." which @Elnoth also told me later...

17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

When you mine, watch the progress bar (arc). If it reaches 100% and then goes around again, that is a meticulous chance.

When you see "Critical", the progress bar is a quick rotation (almost instant) instead of the 7-10 pick swings of a normal collection.

Yes, you can get "Critical" on the meticulous swings (even if the initial collection was a long/normal one).

Furthermore, when you mine a node, each collection chance yield will be shown as a separate loot item in the loot window (except in the case of granite or the rare minerals like tin/tungsten/nickel). So, if you see Iron Ore, Iron Ore, Iron Ore (2), Iron Ore (3)... then you got one normal collection and 3 meticulous collections. If you didn't get any meticulous collections, it would show as Iron Ore (7).

So, I'm guessing I was correct. You got some meticulous collections in your yield of 7 ores.

Mac2 likes this.
  18. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Once you start becoming highly skilled with all the gathering skills and sub-skills, your yields go way up on average. Even now, I'm getting 2-3 ores per node on average. Some times I get 1, sometimes I get 4 or 5.

19. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

I would really like to know how to get 4 or 5 on a node without meticulous... it would really help a lot...

Three Eighty-Six likes this.
  20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Yes, and there was a time when not only mining skill(s), but your Producer Level itself also affected your success chance and possibly the yield per node. This was tested with 2 characters with the same mining skill levels and the same mining pick, but one having a higher overall Producer Level. When both characters tried to mine the same type of nodes in the same mine, next to each other... the one with the higher Producer Level had 1% better success chance shown and got 1 extra ore on several attempts. The yields were random at that time though too, so there wasn't definitive proof of more ore per attempt... but the >1 ore loots happened more often on the higher Producer Level tester. Could have been a coincidence /shrug.

That was way back around the "persistence" release, so not sure if that is still the case. And the difference was very minimal and hardly noticed, but it very well could still get calculated into the mining calculations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.