Fishing

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Hemswal The Descended, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

Strongly approve of fishing, and expanding its abilities.

Applerust likes this.
  2. Kardall

Kardall Avatar

This entire thread thus far is full of awesome.

I love fishing in any game that has it, and if it becomes even half of this post... I would be so thrilled.

Applerust and majoria70 like this.
  3. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

New water coming before fishing. yippeeee

Applerust likes this.
  4. Kardall

Kardall Avatar

S.O.S. Bottles - I helped write the scripts on a UO Server that supported Treasure Hunting in POL. It was awesome. And there were so many people that made a market out of the feature that you had two complete jobs in the game, that were completely player run and moderated:
    1. Treasure Map Vendors: People who fished up Bottles with treasure maps. Sold on public vendors.
    2. Treasure Protection Services: People who formed parties to help protect a treasure seeker who may not be able to defend themselves from the treasure chest spawns.
    Here is how the system worked overall:
    1. Fishermen would fish up a message in a bottle.
    2. When the map was removed from the bottle, it would get a random location in the world x/y/z/map, as well as assign a difficulty based on the persons fishing level that fished up the bottle.
    3. This location would have a general vicinity indicated by a riddle.
    4. You would carry a shovel with you, and when you get where you think the treasure is buried. Using the shovel would tell you if you are close or not.
    5. Once you get in range of the treasure chest, it would dig up a chest.
    6. This chest is trapped, and spawned monsters based on the map level. (Loot scaled with map level)
    We had Cartography to identify the map level, which failed if it was too high with what your skill was.

Cartography also helped you pinpoint the map closer (High levels actually give you a direction, and high level meaning 120+).

There was a point where we thought about incorporating the Forensic Evaluation into it, and have like "mystery treasure spawns" but we never did finish that part. We had just stolen parts of the code that we used for the bounty system, which used Forensic Eval to track the killers using the blood on the ground. It was interesting too :D

I will even re-write the system in C# lolol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.