Launch Telethon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Humbert_Humbert, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Is there going to be one final big telethon with launch? Everything half off?!!

2. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

That would be crazy fun:D

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Unless launch brings in millions of dollars, there will always be a need to raise money. Since there will always be monthly updates, there will always be interest in postmortems.

I wouldn't expect a final telethon/postmortem any time soon.

4. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

true that indeed

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We'll be continue these livestreams, and the Launch one will absolutely be amazing and fun (as they always are!! :)).

From this point forward though we will be calling them just "Release Postmortems", "R52 Postmortem", or "Postmortem Livestreams", etc... no more using the word "Telethon".

6. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Nice! Glad we don't need telethons anymore.

Fionwyn Wyldemane likes this.
  7. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Post-release, could we go back to the quarterly telethons, and go 6-8 hours, while keeping the monthly post-mortems?

I know I don't have any of the financial data in front of me to compare the monthly mini-telethon funds raised y-0-y with the older quarterly telethon funds raised, but if the metrics show little variance between the two, I think the community would be able to contribute more funding if we had 3 months to scrimp and save.

If the metrics are more in favor of the current system, then by all means, continue.

EDIT:

While we may not need the telethons moving forward, it's always a fun event, and rallies the community to continue to support both the project and Portalarium. It's not that they're needed, but that they're appreciated.

8. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Oh they are still going to ask people to keep the game alive by donating? Can't you just run daily deals on items and stop with the telethons.

I would think with the growth expected and people buying the game and cash shop we could stop those embarrassing money grabs.

You've asked your supporters for money in a Kickstarter, pledges, quarterly telethons, seed invest, and monthly telethons. It's time for the game to stand on its merits.

9. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Postmortems are more than just a money grab. They are a primary way for Portalarium to gain input from players and to provide insight into the development of SotA. This transparency is a reason that I support SotA. I would hate to see them go away.

These postmortems ARE one of SotA's merits.

10. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

I'm a little confused by your wording here. Are you just renaming them but everything else stays the same? Or will they now be just informational streams and no longer collecting money?

11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Yes, just the name.

Antrax Artek, Barugon and Preachyr like this.
  12. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

Would you be able to expand a little bit on why this change is being made?

To me it feels a little bit... odd... to be changing the name while the function remains exactly the same.
    You have to know that it will come off as though you are trying to hide the fact that Port is still asking for money even after launch by renaming the telethons.

I'm not saying I believe that, but its something that obviously people might take away from this, so I'd prefer to just skip the speculation and hear it straight from you as to what the purpose/reasoning is here, and if you agree with how it might look to some people or if I'm just being ridiculous in thinking so. (If I'm being ridiculous just say so, I won't report you for a personal attack ;) )

Thanks Berek!

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Telethons were not only about raising money, they were also about conveying information. As they move to monthly postmortems the focus on information has increased. While it is undoubtedly an opportunity to raise much needed cash, I think the term postmortem is appropriate. If you watched the 12-hour telethons you know there was a lot more foolishness than there is today.

P.S. as evidence I offer The One Man Band.

14. Deadly Habit

Deadly Habit Avatar

So wait are you still going to have funding goals and prizes set for them and try to not call it a telethon any more?

15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Technically, they were never on television.

16. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

It just feels odd when in my opinion that funds from the Kickstarter were suppose to make the game. Yet, we are having charity auctions to keep the game going after launch?

If the game didn't make it so be it you guys gave it your best, but to keep stringing it along by asking die hards isnt very ethical if success doesn't seem likely.

17. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

Kind of odd in my opinion that you don't get why more funding will always be needed. Also could you also explain how the funding from kickstarter, 1.9 million was going to make all 5 episodes? And they aren't asking "diehards" they are asking the playerbase, if they want to participate they can. It's a choice, always will be, nothing forces you to participate in any money raising event. Did you expect them to close shop and let all employees go once launched, then do a rehire for E2?

If your so concerned that the game will fail, then simple don't participate.

18. Preachyr

Preachyr Avatar

To be fair, that is a question for Port, seeing as how they are the ones that ran the kickstarter only asking for 1 mil and not disclosing anywhere in the campaign that it was only to 'get the project started'

Katu and Alana Baran like this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

That's the third or fourth time they tell us they will continue the post mortems after the release.
    So what's the all the hassle about?

20. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

We are crowdfunding that is the mode of funding for this particular game. Richard Garriott chose to crowdfund to avoid being so restricted. I love having stretch goals so if these are just added to the postmortems I will be very happy, sometimes I have just $5 to spend, if I had none to spend that's ok too . Other times I spend on an average of $25, sometimes a bit more. That is my choice and it is a choice. There is no demand for buying why make it something dirty or wrong?

That would be like saying a subscription is dirty. Subscriptions are just the funding mode that a particular game has to keep it alive. This game is crowdfunded and that is the funding it will have like it or not it is pay to play anything beyond that is voluntary as mentioned .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.