City and Town lots available in add on store

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by RTM, Dec 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Guess that proves they are being sold.

2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Seems straight forward to me :)

He mentioned, in the chat he references, that there will be a static number of lots in the world and when they sold out they're done until E2.

3. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Except that's just a place holder, they haven't decided on a house yet.

4. Bayard2

Bayard2 Avatar

Humour...was making a jest!

5. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm really interested in finding out how much it will cost in game to maintain a house/plot.

I know the value of money will all depend on the economy so maybe I'm thinking the equivalent of a couple hours a month farming gold. maybe another option is to pay $ to maintain the plot (maybe something like $5 a month).

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, is this a precursor to show that you won't really ever be able to get a town or city lot in game without an insane amount?

I'm in shock at the moment and not sure I understand what they are doing here.

I understand they think they have to mach the pledges, but I think something about how kickstarters work was lost here. People pledge large amounts not just for the extras they get but also just to be generous. I don't know, I think this has gone over the crazy edge.

deryk likes this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

How much work (iow, gold) do you expect would be required to earn a Town or City lot in the game?

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  8. RTM

RTM Avatar

They did the right thing. Thank you.

9. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

In my opinion, if town and city lots where cheap and easy to get in game with gold it would sort of make the exclusivity and uniqueness of owning one a moot point.

I don't remember prices in UO for the really big houses, but where they cheap and easy to get? Did it take a lot of grinding, time, and people working together to actually be able to place one down? Does anyone that played early UO, before Trammel came out, know? I ask for information about Pre-Trammel because while it was a PvP time, it was also before people had the funds stocked up and could just more to Trammel and place something like a castle.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't recall ever saying it should be cheap or easy.

What I should have said is this stinks of Pay to win(or a better way, pay a lot of money and you can have the best things in game)

11. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Definitely need to know that to see if it's worth buying a town or city lot in the add-on store o_O If it takes say, 4, 320 hours (i.e., six months of game play), to earn enough in-game gold to purchase a city lot, then it might be worth purchasing one now. Assuming an "average" gamer spent 4 hrs/day playing SOTA, it would take nearly three years to earn enough in-game gold to purchase a city plot :eek:

Personally, I don't know that many people who can afford to spend a lot of hours each day playing SOTA. Real-life commitments take precedence...

Jambo and deryk like this.
  12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

This is very much from the evolution of games from the hardcore (or at least dedicated) into the casual space. People who don't have the time to play a game for 16 hours a day are willing to pay to "Keep up with the Lordseseses."

13. Derium

Derium Avatar

Castles pre-Tram were selling for up to $10,000 on eBay. I sold my last castle in about 2005ish (Tram released in 2000) for just shy of $2,000 on eBay. So these prices are pretty much what I expected to see for lots.

14. Derium

Derium Avatar

I am speaking from Citizen level ($500ish invested) And looking to upgrade, I face these 3 things.

1. Spend an extra $1,000ish and get 1 rent free Town plot by upgrading pledge
    2. Spend an extra $1,000ish and get 1 taxed City plot
    3. Spend an extra $900ish and get two taxed Town plots and try to place them side by side, making it bigger than a city plot (although not connected).

If tax is just $10/$15 a month, then it would take 18 years for it to be better to upgrade to the $3,800 package. So as long as the taxes on a city lot stay under $100 a month, then just buying a plot FAR outweighs upgrading to a $3,800 pledge. That's why that's not an option in the 3 choices.

Envy / Midian likes this.
  15. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

While i agree ( and im in exactly the same position as you are ) , because i did consider buying a city plot instead of going to lord... but all the perks around the pledges, and the fact that i can upgrade my rent free town lot to a rent free city lot ... Well i decided to go for lord. For me it is far better to pledge 1600 than to buy a city lot.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

if people just look at houses I'm terms of upgrades then I agree. Don't forget all the other things you get by upgrading.

My view is the more property you can own the better.

17. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

If you are looking at just the plot, then yes, the taxed plot would be a better benefit. I like to look at the whole package though. The other things that come with the tier help weigh in on the deciding factor of if I should just buy a plot of land, or spend money to upgrade my tier. I like the things that come with an upgraded tier, so that is why I will be upgrading.

For others it is a better value to just buy a lot and worry about the tax and buying a house with in game gold. Neither option is wrong, it is just what the player decides is best for themselves.

I really don't think the tax will be too expensive by itself. Of course each plot will be more expensive as you go up in size, V/T/C, but I can't see them trying to break the bank on it. I really wish they had some idea they could share besides the example they gave before on what the tax might be like.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Richard's perspective on why housing is rare and thus high priced (more so the more rare it is) -- and not just because it's used as a funding driver.

But by virtue of the real estate being rare and being, and therefore cared for well, the probability of a good shop or interesting home decoration to be there has gone up. And so we think that by getting rid of the chaff, the whole world will be better for all people.

Read the entire post for context.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

There were very few places that could hold a castle, they needed alot of legal space.

A standard house was easy to get. Didnt take my guild many days to get one.

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Triassic swamps, north east side of Britain, south east of Skara Brae. Just to name a few. The problem was all of the smaller houses in the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.