SOTA crashing computer on startup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spainchaud, Mar 11, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

After hitting the play button on the launcher I see SOTA start up in windowed mode. The interior of the window is black and then a second or two later the mouse freezes. I have to power down at that point. I thought I would post for suggestions here before I try to reinstall.

2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

also having alot of crashes and whole computer freeze when entering big towns since last patch...

The game not only freezes, the whole computer is incapacitated sometimes to the point of being forced to restart.

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Tiki Pirate likes this.
  4. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

Well I am up and running again. The only thing I did different was move my mouse to my second monitor while the game started up. Can't imagine that would make a difference, but at least I a playing now.

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It seems to be graphic bugs causing all this indeed... sometimes all the text in my client becomes some foreign looking language, I get mouse disappearing, I get also mouse not clicking where it points... when I use it it clicks about an inch away on the left of the actual cursor.

This is only since last patch... something was added that messes it all up for me.

6. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

I've been posting an issue very similar to this in the bugs forum since the latest patch. The last response I got was that my power supply may not be powerful enough.

Turned out it's the game not liking when I check off in the patcher to run the game in Borderless window mode, and having Fullscreen checked in game. It was causing some hard crashes. So I unchecked Fullscreen and am now playing in borderless window mode with no more crashing and the game seems to be loading just fine. Less lag too :)

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Lained like this.
  7. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

hmm, I did have borderless window checked in launcher, but I turned it off so that I could tweak my window position. I guess that was probably the problem.

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I'll try that... !

9. Xee

Xee Bug Hunter

Can you all post your system specs for video cards and video ram size. That would be helpful.

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I stopped playing in windows mode a long time ago. It always caused me problems. I just use full screen and alt/tab if i want to go outside of the game to youtube or google, read forums, etc ;)

11. Lained

Lained Avatar

I've always played in window mode, though not borderless and not fullscreen, I just maximise the window.

12. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

Well, I am back again. After several hours of play yesterday I made the mistake of logging out to watch some TV. Now I can't get back in. The game is freezing my computer. Sometimes the freeze happens when the game starts up. Twice now it has happened as the town was loading. I am running Win 10 on an i7-6700k with a GTX 1080Ti. Just upgraded the drivers last week. I am in windowed mode. I have tried at least 6 times to get past this freeze. Once it happens the only thing I can do is reboot.

13. spainchaud

spainchaud Avatar

I just got in. I turned off G-SYNC this time. I don't know if that is the reason, only time will tell.

14. Lained

Lained Avatar

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

To be fair, that can happen. When I upgraded my video card two years ago, it ran fine with FFXI, then when I started up SotA, the entire system crashed in under a minute. The old power supply was (IIRC) 400W, and I replaced it with a 600W.

SotA is much more demanding on the GPU than FFXI (which was originally designed for a PS2!), and it needed more power even with the same graphics card. It would be a good idea to have at least 500-600W with a "decent" (by today's standards) graphics card. If you're upgrading anyhow, the difference isn't that much. I set up another computer recently for SotA and didn't even think twice about upgrading its stock 250W power supply to 600W just to be sure.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@spainchaud if you could list your specs it would help a lot on this topic. Also Portalarium gets your crash files too. But no one here knows your specs to see if they have any advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.