Please say it ain't so... (server queue?!)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I think this is correct. The queue is just for authentication and not entering the game.

I've seen queue's for 1 or 2 many times, a few times (patch day) I've seen it go up to 10 or so. With the 1's and 2's, it usually only makes me wait a few seconds, so no biggy.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  2. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Oh, you guys are serious? The queue's been around since peristence or close to it. It was always so brief, I always thought it was a joke. I thought they were making fun of games like WoW or even ourselves for being so small. I've only been saying for the past year that we need to focus on performance and stability before getting a significant number of players. I hope they talk more about the masters in the telethon or circulate the links to Chris' earlier explanations if not goat rope @Violation Clauth into talking about it again in one of his techtalks.
    Like how I just gave people all of that work to do? :p

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Just a regular concern, nothing outstanding :p

I'm just thinking if we see a queue now what its going to be when hundreds maybe thousands more players join... especially with the packages for unlimited play going out cheaper and cheaper.

If the server bills are already expensive with the number of players we have... imagine what its going to be with a thousand more minimal investment players.

This thread wouldn't exist if I didn't see in official statements since persistence that the cost of the servers was something to worry about.

Don't get me wrong, I can happily wait 5 minutes to log in... especially with the quality and speed of the servers I get to use without a monthly fee. But is this the most profitable way for us to go ?

I mean I can make backflips, fit a combo and 3 attacks within 3 seconds.

Each move, is ultra-precise, ultra-fast AND ultra expensive in bandwidth too. My attacks and defenses are even calculated mid-air, to pixel sharp precision.

I can see many solutions to this, but I'd prefer to hear you all tell me its not a problem :p

4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Keep in mind these are the same people telling us the game is complete enough to launch. :|

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

One or two is what I've seen, except for time when the server crashed and everyone logged back on at the same time when it came back up. I started in the 30's in the queue.

6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

It kinda is... from a classic commercial publisher standpoint... its another MMO "product" like the evil EA we're supposed to emancipate ourselves from. We can only hope once everything is setup and roughly balanced, that its going to be fleshed out, that its not going to follow the path UO took and feature creep and vertical progression with expansions and new zones and uber items aka the perfect pyramidal RMT recipe that funnels riches to the rich.

But is it complete according to a ultima fan, to a UO fan, to a tabula rasa fan ? nope... I skin a rabbit, I get animal hide... I skin a bear I get animal hide... I cut a pine and get cinnamon bark... what the hell is going on here ? :p I wish PLACEHOLDER would be written in big letters all over the place, would be less of an eyesore than my own imagination about the possibility it will remain like this (for so many things I LOVED about ultimas). It's all about gameplay and details people find fun... but I heard we can't have nice things because people complain it devalues their virtual economy or something evil like that (my wits jumped out of ma brainz) the lore feels deep and pre-meditated... the art direction is amazing IMO as well.

I kinda got my answer too, its the queue to the authentication routine, its not a server full queue (when this one happens then you'll see me concerned again).

Makes sense :) unlike an armor made of rabbit leather, lol, I mean rofl.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    3devious likes this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I waited for almost 2 hours to get into a lot of games on launch months... server queues are extremely common and a necessary evil. Rapid connect/disconnect leads to a sort of DDoS and the queue system simply help with that. It was talked about several times when they put it in ?2 years ago? it's just very uncommon to see... when persistence hit we'd get queues constantly for the first month or two but they've stopped. Seeing them again is good: that means more people are playing and logging in :)

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That part I agree with, in the last weeks I've seen at least 400% increase in players round the clock !

Numa and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  9. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

will admit i get super excited when im queued! <3

10. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

What is this statement based on? Did they share this capability with us somewhere that I missed? Please PM me a link if so, I'm curious!

11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

[​IMG]

12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Technically speaking, before we had the servers @ Portalarium, the game was running on cloud, unity makes it supra compatible with any scale up / scale down. In fact we could probably fit more people on each instance if we could pay the price.

Or... maybe technology will make leaps and bounds, and it will become cheaper.

Thats really not what I'm worrying about lol... I'm all for equity but I just didn't expect to be put on a queue so early... and hence was wondering about the model, the priorities, the ethical choice of giving so much bandwidth to all players equally in particular.

13. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I don't think that Unity is responsible for any login limits. I think they have a load balanced thing where they can add more capacity when they want. As for instance limits, those were set for performance reasons, and they would like to increase them if the game code gets more efficient.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you, once again your technical knowledge is impressive, I really do hope they hire you like they did for Kor :)

I think you have your place out there !

15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's not exactly my kind of job, and the commute is a little long. I usually work with stuff that has 64K or less of RAM. Twenty years ago, maybe, but not now.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Garlic hunter it is then :D less than 64k RAM, but more than 64K genes :D

17. ZaDD

ZaDD Avatar

The Queue is back at it again. :( Every time i click, a new number and higher it goes, sometimes it goes low.

18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I went straight in..

19. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

There was a glitch in the matrix at Amazon that hosed the login server. Naturally it happened while Chris was stuck in that legendary Austin traffic, and ended before he got in. These things are smart and KNOW when is the "best" time to happen.

[​IMG] \

Rentier likes this.
  20. Traveller13

Traveller13 Bug Hunter

Sounds somewhat like the Critical Job Detectors, which create an error directly in proportion to the importance of a job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.