Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Resistance Changes [Feedback Welcome]

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by devourerofmemes, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cock of the North

Cock of the North Avatar

You mean, damage resistance? Or damage avoidance? Its not called sword resist because it helps against all weapons. As does dodge, parry, glancing and shields.

2. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Oh you mean skills I need to put exp into, not just something passively giving to me, or I can just throw a pot on and get, and as I level them I get weaker.

Dhanas likes this.
  3. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

No I don't know of mob that you cannot use a weapon against, but I'd be pro adding a mob that disables that wep for a bit ;) I thought they planned on adding the slash damage vs blunt vs piercing stuff. They could have dropped that idea though for all I know. Is magic pve damage really an issue, I have my offline save that's max in everything and I still kill everything fastest with fire/death. So I guess I just feel like magic damage is already in a pretty good spot in pve.

4. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

For over 4 years we enjoyed what was promised as a "Classless" system, and 2 months before launch we get "Specialization" and negative effects on opposing schools.
    Wow.

Mac2 likes this.
  5. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

So your killing obsidian golems that once they get in range make it so you cant cast anything with magic that you cant cast? You killing undead with your death, fire and earth elemental with your fire? Did not know offline mode was so different.

FrostII likes this.
  6. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I just need to get off the forums, been drinking a drink with red dye 23 in it, and I'm super aggressive right now.

7. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

It's all good man not trying to push your buttons, obsidian golem 100% odd outlier. My main deck is Meteor, Ring of Fire, Fire Arrow, Fireball, Corpse Explosion, Healing Grace, Soothing Rain, Immolate, Death Touch, Death Ray. I run Water ele for the 100+ heals and I'll change this like swapping in death shield vs something gnarly physical, vs earth elements I choose not to grind them with fire... I have my alt deck with defensive stance, light armor def skills, douse as well as deflect. I have bludgeon passive just for the extra wand auto damage. I don't know man, what drives you nuts just doesn't push my buttons as much I guess, but that doesn't make your points any less relevant, just different strokes for different folks in the end.

8. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

I know your not trying to push my buttons or nothing, I am just not myself this past week, and walmart is all out of good host ice tea so I am left with this red 23 cherry drink, and its just making me nutso right now. If anyone has any kids that freak out all the time, check the drinks and food you give them for that red dye, and get rid of it.

devourerofmemes likes this.
  9. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

I do not like that Douse and Celestial Blessing are arbitrarily capped, so you have no way to increase magic defenses with skills past a certain point.

Warding gems can only work up to certain point also - +40 on a weapon, +15 for a ring, necklace and then +20 on a chest armor.

So how is anybody supposed to fight higher level mobs like Rise mages or High Cultist Wizards with lower magic defenses?

10. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think that the more knowledge you have a about a particular school of magic, the more resistant you will be to it. This makes sense to me from all aspects, especially RP.

Numa and devourerofmemes like this.
  11. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

I'm with you on this 100% that is does make sense, I just hate how it plays out in game to leveling every active skill to 80 to bump my resistance. Like casting another summon spell for hours just because I want that magic resist is so mentally painful I rather just throw out the sense part of magic knowledge increasing resist, but it certainly does appeal to logic on some level that you would get more resistant with more knowledge of the magic tree. However, I don't think it's terrible to consider it more like archery knowledge, even though I have a lot of knowledge about archery the arrows still hurt and even though I have knowledge about how to "cast a better flame arrow" it still burns the hell out of me.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My Attunement is:
    Earth - 40
    Air - 26
    Fire - 39
    Water - 30

13. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Ok so at the 100 to 20 ratio
    - 8 Air resist
    -5.2 Earth resist
    -7.8 Water resist
    -6 Fire resist

If we lowered it to 100 to 10
    -4 Air resist
    -2.6 Earth resist
    -3.9 Water resist
    -3 Fire resist

Would either of these seem fair or still just the idea of it lowering resistance sucks?

14. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Why though? What purpose does it serve to get penalized for leveling something?

FrostII likes this.
  15. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Well there's a lot of stuff we could talk about, risk dominance, payoff dominance, Nash Equilibrium, game theory, risk vs reward, etc. Did you have something specific in mind or did you just want me to talk about all the reasons for it? Simple answer would be if you add risk you can increase reward.

16. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Why when learning one thing, does it penalize learning another thing? Why does this only apply to magic? Whats so wrong if I want to learn fire and water, or death and life, its not like its free to learn. Why don't weapons suffer from being penalized?

17. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

Why when learning one thing, does it penalize learning another thing?

In general you do this for balance reasons, I'll give a few quick examples. I'm going to stick mostly to PvP, because really that's where it's the most relevant. If you add risk to the magic trees in the form of - magic resist in the opposing school it creates another form of balance outside of trying to balance dps between every tree. For example if fire has the highest possible DPS, then naturally every min maxer in PvP that wants to do damage is going to run fire. This is countered by other trees getting things like stuns, slows, heals, etc. However, - magic resist creates another natural balancing lever. If the population starts to run a ton of fire mages, naturally ice mages would be favored in that meta and rise up because they are a natural counter with douse, oddly an ice mage that doesn't specialize might end up even better against a fire mage, but an ice mage that specializes might be weaker against a fire mage but stronger against melee because of the -20 attack speed bonus from specialization. The same concept of rock, paper and scissors has been used in many games were Cloth/Mages > Plate/Melee, Leather/Ranged > Cloth/Mages, Plate/Melee > Leather/Ranged. These varying forms of rock, paper, scissors keep each other in check. If you keep the advantages slight enough, so a small amount of - magic resist instead of a large amount, skill should allow a very good "Paper" to beat a low skill "Scissor".

Another reason would be to make team fights more interesting. As a fire mage I would look for Ice Mages to burn down first, because they are my counter and I can blow them up just like they can blow me up. A team fight could be decided by which player identifies their magic opposition first.

In a PvE Raid setting you can have bosses that are weak to specific elements, for example I could have a phase in a fight where 8 magic npcs spawn and your team needs to burn them down extremely fast. A good team would have a variety of mages specializing in different trees so they can each burn down the opposite magic school npc. They would be much faster than a team comp of all fire mages, this ensures team comp diversity and if every player doesn't have every skill in the magic tree leveled to 80, this would create niches for optimal parties.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

Its already rock paper scissors, its not a minus to resistance that makes it that way, its knowing how to counter what was used on you with other skills and tactics. Is it not easier to balance things without adding another mechanism, like simple things are easier to fix then complex things.

The only thing I see this type of penalization doing is limiting choice in a game where it was said I could be whatever build I want.

19. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

The penalty and trade off of being and generalist and having that versatility is not being able to use it all at once and yet still paying the cost of it all on death, as well as the huge exp it takes to maintain and grow that versatility vs someone who focuses. I just would rather have freedom of choice instead of being limited.

20. devourerofmemes

devourerofmemes Avatar

"Is it not easier to balance things without adding another mechanism, like simple things are easier to fix then complex things."

I think there is a reason extremely complex ecosystems are the most stable in nature. Start removing species from an island ecosystem and do the same from a tropical jungle and tell me which system collapses first, but obviously this is a bit deep to go in to the mathematics behind on a Sota forum so I'll just agree to disagree <3

"The penalty and trade off of being and generalist and having that versatility is not being able to use it all at once"

In r52 you can hotkey swap to 10 different decks, if you don't change armor sets it's nearly instant.

"I just would rather have freedom of choice instead of being limited."

Again I 100% respect everyone that has this view, I'm just in the camp that enjoys the complex gameplay situations that can arise from adding more risk vs reward scenarios.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.