Simple Achievement System

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nick, Sep 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

I am thinking along the lines of coexisting with what we have. On completion of certain quests, we get an achievement item.

Upon killing Xavara and going back to complete the fire quest, can we also get something, like a certificate that we can put on the wall. "Slayer of Xavara" with player name when mouse over, similar to in game books.

Completing the lich quest also gives a lich skull of a different colour etc...so everything is based on current assets (plaques, paintings, books, or even a golden carrot for growing 10,000 carrots. Essentially, you will be able to build a achievement (trophy) room of some sort with these items.

@majoria70, what do you think?

2. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

+1

I like collecting things that can be used as decorations or worn and used by our Avatars...

3. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

Why wouldn't these items instead just be final quest rewards rather than a new coding system for achievements? Would rather see achievements award items if there is no final trigger already in place, such as the 1000 carrots awarding something for the achievement. If there is an optional boss that doesn't have a quest tied to it, sure, make it an achievement or add a unique item to its loot pool, but leave specific quest targets out of it and just have their quest award any potential items.

Achievements would most likely award titles than items, but with housing being such a huge system in this game I'm sure many would prefer items over titles. Unique equipment, patterns or decorations.

Moiseyev Trueden and Nick like this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Would love to see this. Achievements should be focused on teaching an avatar what they can do or I think they are a wasted opportunity at making the game more knowable and cohesive.

Achievement: Salvage a pattern from a mage staff.

Moiseyev Trueden and Nick like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Avatar

Would be fun if its something given by an NPC. "blah blah blah.... this is how you salvage a pattern...Do it at the crafting tables and show me a pattern when you are done."

1.Salvage then gives it to NPC -> gets an achievement item for salvaging

2.Pretend to salvage and gives NPC a pre bought pattern -> gets an achievement item (that glows red) for salvaging. Gets truth hit, and some nagging from the oracle.

3.Don't bother to salvage and gives a pre bought pattern -> NPC kicks you out. Truth virtue gets hit. If you are the first to lie, you get an achievement to be the first to cheat. :p

Choice and consequence. :D

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

Its just an idea as I believe the mechanics should already be there, ie. Hat's Quests. Awarding titles can come afterwards, since the information can already be recorded.

Perhaps Lum can irritate players by creating quests will require players to show their achievement rewards before it can start. Imagine you've lost the achievement trophy, or you sold it. It'll be fun trying to get it back.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Nick;). Well I'm always interested in interesting loot ideas or quest reward items. ;).

I don't see your ideas as much as an achievement item as a quest reward. With out the achievement system I was rallying for we will have to make do with the devs finding other things to connect the world by offering exploration reasons and reasons to make us want to see the world again and visit a scene again. I'm crossing my fingers.

So achievements could have added items to achieving or points toward cotos etc. I'm not as much for titles unless they allow multiple titles but it's still not my favorite reward. I am more a low profile type. I don't care to advertise my achievements, but that's just me. ;)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Luca Xante, Moiseyev Trueden and Nick like this.
  8. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

That sounds way too much like any other quest and I don't see how/why this would/should be tied to achievements. Achievements are goals and should be treated as such, not prerequisites. The only time I've ever seen an achievement be a prerequisites is in WoW when you show achievements for either having beaten a raid boss on a lower/same/higher level difficulty because it shows the raid leader you have been through the mechanics of the fight before. I don't see that being a 'thing' in this game, not yet anyway.

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So it seems you are asking for quest rewards that make it feel like you have been rewarded better. The wording of your idea makes it seem like it would be a reward from an achievement system which we don't have and won't have anytime soon and not by releaseDarkstarr says.

More interesting loot would be so great. I would love to find eggs we could hatch, rare seeds, unusual recipes, not ones they just threw in our loot.

I want new and unusual recipes and loot that surprises and entertains us. Such a rush to get this game released the easiest and many of the cheapest ways to do it are being taken. It needs to be slowed down a bit to do it right. Ok imo.

10. Nick

Nick Avatar

I see what you mean. Sorry, I've never played an MMO prior to this, not much of a gamer either. My opinions are based on what I view as could be fun to have, and what i thought is more doable with what they have right now without spending too much effort. Game needs to add a little bit of fun. But this is just me and my simple view of achievement. I am just throwing ideas which developers might find useful.

majoria70 likes this.
  11. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh you had a great idea Nick. We need to talk about loot. Our loot is important. *Cheers for Nick*

Nick likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Avatar

Actually, my view was, instead of an achievement that's listed in your account, why not something also that we can use to decorate. Like i graduated from school, I got a graduation certificate. Its my personal achievement. I can choose to hang it on the wall, or junked it somewhere. One day, I am looking for a job, the interviewer ask for my certificate and I have dumped it.....

And yes, its an achievement system which we do not have right now. But the information thats been accumulated can be used in the achievement system which we will have (I hope) eventually....

Then I started to wonder, how will achievement be bestowed? Why not you've done something, and when you find the right NPC, it will trigger the achievement, and rewards you with something. Could be as simple as you learn the last of the death skill glyph in your tree and the advance trainer tells you there's nothing more she can teach you and you achieve something like a Death Mastery title, and she gives you a skull as a token.

Or it can be something as stupid as you buy a dragon head from Sara Dreyon, and on entering the town the guards exclaim, a dragon slayer, and tells you to visit the local magistrate. You get a title of a false dragon slayer and a virtue hit (if you lie that you killed it). Some heroes become heroes for all the wrong reasons. :p

Tying it to a quest was just a simple example. :)

Yes LOOT. our current loot is so sad. Would be nice to find the hammer of Atos. When equipped, Avatar learns and starts to do some funny emote called BAN and cries 'BAN BAN BAN'

majoria70 likes this.
  13. Hitomi LLTS

Hitomi LLTS Avatar

Hi im a newbie. Does anyone know where i can upgrade my skills. The Trainers already tell me that they cannot train me anymore even though i have the required pre requisite for advancement

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hi there and welcome to the game. After skill level 40 you will have to see the master trainer. Talk to the trainer and ask about for example master trainer in bludgeons and they will tell you which town that master trainer is in. I hope that helps. Also I'm Majoria in game if I can ever help.

15. Hitomi LLTS

Hitomi LLTS Avatar

Thank you Majoria. Ill add you in game

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.